1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cotswolds Trip

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Jan 17, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Greetings:

My wife just returned from a London business trip and we have decided to do a 7 day trip in the Cotswolds mid-late May. Neither of us has been in that region before. I am not really looking for gear recommendations as I am for recommendations for photo opps and walking routes. (We will be taking two OMD bodies, two zooms EZ & 12-40, along with three primes O12, O17 & O45. Not sure about a tripod). Any suggestions, we are just starting to do our homework for the trip.

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi David,

The Cotswolds is a lovely area and not too far from where I live. From a photographic perspective, it's best to focus on the towns and villages - lots of old buildings and quaint villages built using local honey-coloured stone. I can recommend Broadway, Burford, Snowshill, Bagendon, and Lower Slaughter for a start. This link is helpful too:

http://www.cotswolds.info/cotswold-pictures.htm

May is a great time to visit too. Late Spring is a great time of year in the UK in general. Your gear list sounds great - but I'd recommend a loght travel tripod too.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    After the 2012 Olympics we spent about a week staying in Chipping Campden, doing walking and a little driving from there to the local surrounds. The walking paths were mostly very easy and provided a lot of nice photo opportunities. There are a lot of walking guides for Britain, especially in areas like the Cotswolds. We had a great time - I think you will too.

4. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    +1 for Chipping Camden and the surrounding area, very lovely.
    Blenheim Palace is sure worth a visit, as is Oxford. Warwick Castle also rocks.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I live about 5 miles from Warwick Castle and... well, let's just say that it's not to my taste! If you like faux medieval dressing up, then maybe it'll appeal. The building is stunning - but the overall experience is too theme-park for me. Make sure your credit card is in good form too - it's not cheap!

6. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Totally agree about the theme park thing, but the castle and surroundings are gorgeous.

7. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    I went on a holiday there and it is very picturesque. One suggestion is that some of the old buildings have small windows and some fast wide lenses would be useful. I found the 12mm very useful in those conditions. I actually stayed in at the Kings hotel in Chipping Camden. I also went to Oxford, Stratford upon Avon and Bath, all great places to visit.

8. moonraker

moonraker Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 6, 2013
    Wiltshire, UK
    Above are all good suggestions. I'd add Cirencester - beautiful church and excellent Roman Museum. Stow on the Wold - quaint, lots of tourist shops/pubs. If you are into walking there is the very picturesque Cotswold Way, you may like to do some of that.. and if you like gardens, try Hidecote, great photo op's there..

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thank you for all of your advice. My wife is in her London office several times a year, and I tag along as I can, so we are likely to repeat this trip.

10. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    So which places did you visit and how did you like it?

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We haven't gone yet, we should be there the third week in May.