Costa Rica top 30 (image heavy)

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
Finally finished sorting out the photos from a recent trip to Costa Rica. Here are a few of the best. Most with E-M10 mk II and Panasonic 50-200 f2.8/4 but also a few with other lenses. I would have used my E-M5 mk II if that hadn't failed but that is another story. Very pleased with the Panasonic lens.

Scenic view - not sure exactly where (at a guess, between La Paz waterfall and San Miguel):
E3140275lum.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Broad-billed Motmot
E3150472.JPG

Eyelash Pitviper (deadly, I think. Long lens a good idea)
E3150490.JPG

Brown-throated Three-toed Sloth
E3160571LUM.jpg

Boat-billed Heron (love the beak)
E3160679.JPG

Little Blue Heron (juveniles are white - confusing!)
E3160761.JPG

Green Basilisk (male) - also called Jesus Christ Lizard as it runs across the water
E3160769.JPG

Anhinga meaning Snake Bird, I think, as it swims with the body submerged so only the neck and head show. Also called the piano bird due to the marking on the back
E3160794.JPG

Cattle Egret
E3160877.JPG

Great Potoo - well camouflaged - looks like a lump of tree bark
E3160888RAW.jpg

Common Tody-flycatcher - starting building its nest just outside our room on the last day of our stay in one of the hotels
E3181077.JPG

Arenal volcano (I think)
E3181139lum.jpg

Silver-throated Tanager
E3191272.JPG

Ruddy-capped Nightingale-Thrush
E3191275.JPG

Toro Waterfall
E3201372.JPG

Orange Bellied Trogan
E3201392.JPG

Green-crowned Brilliant
E3201429.JPG

Coppery-headed Emerald
E3201441RAW.jpg

Rufous-collared Sparrow
E3201465.JPG

Plane coming in to land at Puerto Jimenez airstrip
E3211527.JPG

Last edited:

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
The final 10 images:
View from bedroom at sunset at Osa Peninsular
E3211565.JPG

Probably a striped Basilisk female
E3231823RAW.jpg

Great Currasow (female) - male is black with a yellow lump above the beak but the female is nicer looking
E3231850.JPG

Mantled Howler Monkey - you can see the distinctive white testicles of the male on the left!
E3231930fix.JPG

Jumping Spider - 4 pairs of eyes
E3231952.JPG

unknown spider - quite large, on a night walk
E3231957.JPG

Red-eyed Tree Frog
E3231958.JPG

Fruit Bat - don't know exactly which species
E3231986.JPG

Agouti
E3252205.JPG

Green Iguana
E3252282.JPG

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great stuff. Was that Resplendent Quetzal a juvenile? Also, where was that Great Potoo? We saw one at Arenal but the guide said it was very unusual for it to be there since they usually frequent lower elevations.

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
No Resplendent Quetzal in the photos. Second photo is a Broad-billed Motmot - is that the one you mean? Near the lake at Arenal. The Great Potoo was on the Cano Negro river trip. The guide spotted it in a tree so stopped the boat and we got off to try to photograph it. It wasn't easy - high up a tree and against the light and lots of obstructions in the way of a clear shot. +3.5 stops exposure compensation on that shot. Sometimes I was using +5 stops.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
No Resplendent Quetzal in the photos. Second photo is a Broad-billed Motmot - is that the one you mean? Near the lake at Arenal.
No, I'm referring to the photo right after the one of the waterfall.

The Great Potoo was on the Cano Negro river trip. The guide spotted it in a tree so stopped the boat and we got off to try to photograph it.
Yeah, we saw a Great Potoo there in 2016. It was hanging out where we got off the boat so it was in broad daylight but back then my longest lens was my 35-100/2.8.

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
Ah - Orange Bellied Trogan. Near the Toro Waterfall. I am quite pleased with the shot as it was raining and we were in the cloud (and my camera wasn't waterproof). It took a little processing to get it to look half decent.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ah - Orange Bellied Trogan. Near the Toro Waterfall. I am quite pleased with the shot as it was raining and we were in the cloud (and my camera wasn't waterproof). It took a little processing to get it to look half decent.
Aah, I see. Thanks. Clearly I'm not a real birder. ;-)

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I used the Merlin app on my phone to help - it works really well. We have the Costa Rica bird book but there are nearly 1000 birds in it!
Yes, I've been using it to label the birds in my post-vacation video. But clearly I didn't use it in my post. ;-)

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Great set! Thank you for sharing @keith1200rs .

Did you use a flash and/or a diopter lens over your P50-200, for that pale spider photo (right beneath monkeys' photo) and those hummingbird photos?

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
Great set! Thank you for sharing @keith1200rs .

Did you use a flash and/or a diopter lens over your P50-200, for that pale spider photo (right beneath monkeys' photo) and those hummingbird photos?
Thanks for the complement. I guess you cannot see the EXIF data. The tiny pale spider was with the Olympus 30mm Macro, 1/60s handheld ISO 1600, no flash. Even so it is a crop - it was tiny and only half filled the frame.

I used flash with the 50-200 for the tree frog. While I had my 30mm with me the working distance of the 50-200 was better because you couldn't necessarily get very close to a lot of subjects. Flash used is the FL-300R mounted on the camera. Nothing very sophisticated but works surprisingly well even if you don't have chance to set it up as a remote flash and side light the subject (my preferred way with macro when using flash.)

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lovely shots ... all of them.

Such a shame there is no information as to what we are looking at for those of us who have never been and are unlikely to observe these beautiful creatures.

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
Lovely shots ... all of them.

Such a shame there is no information as to what we are looking at for those of us who have never been and are unlikely to observe these beautiful creatures.

@Keeth101 Sorry about that. I have worked out how to edit the original post (I couldn't find a way before) so I will add them ASAP.

Last edited:

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks, Keith.

We would love to visit Costa Rica but, owing to various personal/health problems, we could only go there on a package holiday and Tui in their 'wisdom' only go direct from London, not Manchester so that's another problem for us. We would be limited as to walking etc as well, so that's another problem too. Nowt in life is easy is it :)

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
@Keeth101 we flew KLM from Leeds-Bradford via Amsterdam, but we had the holiday organised for us - it wasn't a standard package. You can arrange to have very little walking if you like. The boat trip at Cano Negro was particularly good. If you have a trip organised for you then you can make sure you spend your time doing what you want. For example, we didn't want to spend much time in the cloud forest and my wife doesn't like heights so the zip-lining and suspended canopy walkways were omitted!

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the info, Keith. Hopefully we can get there in the not too distant future before health etc. makes long haul too much of a problem.

Thanks also for adding the info to the pictures. Makes looking at them so much more interesting when we know what they are. Cheers.

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the info, Keith. Hopefully we can get there in the not too distant future before health etc. makes long haul too much of a problem.
We have started doing a similar thing - doing some long-haul trips before some problem prevents it. Japan last year, Costa Rica this year. Not sure about next year - I have't decided yet.

Latest threads

Top Bottom