1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cosina Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 Classic on a Panasonic GH1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by soundimageplus, Oct 27, 2010.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/5113615529/"> 5113615529_eac742ce96_m. "240" height="217" alt="Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f1.8 Classic Panasonic GH1" /></a>

Following on from Rays review of the same lens I've put together a two-part hands on personal review of the Cosina Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f.1.8 Classic on a Panasonic GH1 here:-

<a href="http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/10/voigtlander-heliar-75mm-f18-classic-on.html" rel="nofollow">soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/10/voigtlander-heliar-75...</a>

<a href="http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/10/voigtlander-heliar-75mm-f18-classic-on_27.html" rel="nofollow">soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/10/voigtlander-heliar-75...</a>

Plus there's a flickr set here:-

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/sets/72157625237638858/">www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/sets/72157625237638858/</a>

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Great overview and pretty much what I saw. I'm not quite sure why, but I really like this lens and take every opportunity to use it (despite its faults) and, as I'm now starting to get more time available, I'm experimenting more than ever. I've been seriously pondering whether to sell all of my 4/3s gear and settle on m4/3s and maybe an M9, but I simply don't know whether the M9 is worth it or not.

My photography direction is moving away from the newspaper sports photography that I've been doing for the last six or more years, into something different. The wedding that I recently, and most reluctantly, did proved that I don't need a DSLR. But I'm now wondering what I could get with a larger format (taking the Lieca limitations into account).

Cheers

Ray

3. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Thats more or less what I've done. My last remaining DSLR's will be heading for ebay pretty soon. I'm currently building up a stock of 4/3 lenses (rather than m4/3) as some of them are incredibly good on m4/3. The Olympus 50mm f2 is just extraordinary & I wish I'd bought one ages ago. I use an M9 but I shoot mostly landscape/travel/location material. For sheer image quality I've not seen anything better this side of MF.

I've used m4/3 at weddings, though only as a backup camera to my DSLR's. I've just stopped doing them but am still doing events and commercial work and like you am convinced that a DSLR isn't necessary. I'm looking forward to the GH2 with its speed improvements for this. Whether the Leica would give you what you want I can't say. With the right lenses on m4/3 you can get pretty much the same sharpness, though Leica files have this colour depth, like film, which I've never seen on any other digital camera, plus the extra file size is useful - though the GH2 could lessen this advantage. Using a Leica is certainly quicker for me than using an m-mount lens on m4/3 as I said in the lens review and focusing in low light is certainly easier than m4/3.
    I never used it at a wedding, more out of fear of dropping it rather than any operational problems!!, but I know people who use them and wouldn't use anything else. Trying one out is obviously a good answer but I do realise thats not easy.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've got pretty much all of the top pro lenses and I dearly don't want to get rid of them, if there is any chance that I can use them with m4/3s with something like the rumoured hybrid camera. You would be gobsmacked by the quality of the likes of the 14-35mm f2 lens.

It's because I would really like to get back to something in the realm of MF (but in a compact package) that makes the M9 interesting. I already have all the lenses that would complement the camera, but I really don't know if it's what I'd be happy owning. I don't get consumed by the Leica fanboy hype and, if anything, all of that makes me less interested in owning one.

Also, I've been away from news photography for the almost last year and I've been pondering whether to go back or not (the opportunity is there). If I did, I could do everything with m4/3s, but the Leica would prove interesting.

Cheers

Ray

5. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    The hybrid camera sounds interesting, whether its a real possibility or just vapour I guess we'll have to wait to see. I'd love the 14-35mm f2, though my physiotherapist might have other ideas!!

That was basically what kept me away from Leica also for many years, which in a way wasn't a bad thing, as the M8 was "a work in progress" and I was never interested in their film cameras. However the M9 is something different, with decent high ISO performance etc. When I actually go out with mine I get these pitying looks from people who think I'm using something from Grandads attic! The hype only exists amongst certain photographers. The last thing you get is people recognising what you are using. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked "How old is that? Does it still work? So the old idea of Leicas being unobtrusive still holds true today!!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I know what you mean, I've been asked the same about my Pens when out and about. No one really takes any notice, as they just look like P&S cameras. I find people are much more at ease when you take shots with one of them, compared to say the E3 and 14-35mm attached. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Funnily enough a guy at a cafe asked me what year my epl1 one was, to which I replied "2010". "no, what year is it from?" "2010". "oh..digital?" "yeah:)" "oh"
    I could feel his disappointment but it was amusing when I looked at the camera later.

With the leica you are right, only diehards and photographers notice them. Even my friend saw my camera and exclaimed "you went to japan, why did you buy that old crap?" as seeing a lens on the front without the slr body made it vintage. Cool :p little did he know!

8. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Haha, that's awesome.

I was in a cafe in Venice Beach and a photographer asked me if I had a point-and-shoot. I detached the Canon FD lens and showed him that it was a bit different.