Cosina Voigtlander 28mm f2.0 Ultron

noodlehaus

Mu-43 Veteran
Anyone have this lens? Would really appreciate any feedback/experiences with this one, particularly on the m43 body.

Thanks!

noodlehaus

Mu-43 Veteran
That's great to know Ray. I'm looking for a close equivalent of the 20mm f1.7 lens BUT manual. I find that the 35mm is too close for me.

Any sample images? :D

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I do, but because there's no way to record lens info on the EXIF, I can't very easily put a finger on any specific shots. What I want to do is work out some sort of easy way to record lens info, without having to resort to writing things down.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Just curious, why not just use the 20/1.7 in manual mode?

None of them work the same in manual mode, the feel is completely different, lifeless and numb. I've got the 14-35mm f2, 4/3s lens, and it has full manual focussing capability (not focus by wire), yet even it doesn't feel anywhere near as good as my oldest manual lens. Plus, the current plastic lenses, while optically great, don't enthuse me in the slightest. Unfortunately, in order to enable AF on m4/3s, all the lenses just about have to be very lightweight and mainly plastic.

Cheers

Ray

noodlehaus

Mu-43 Veteran
Just curious, why not just use the 20/1.7 in manual mode?

I tried doing this Sabesh but then realized that I couldn't really pre-focus without looking through the EVF/LCD. I guess it's the DOF scale that I really find useful, especially for taking candid shots.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I tried doing this Sabesh but then realized that I couldn't really pre-focus without looking through the EVF/LCD. I guess it's the DOF scale that I really find useful, especially for taking candid shots.

Good point. The depth of field scale can be very useful in a number of circumstances.

Cheers

Ray

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
None of them work the same in manual mode, the feel is completely different, lifeless and numb. I've got the 14-35mm f2, 4/3s lens, and it has full manual focussing capability (not focus by wire), yet even it doesn't feel anywhere near as good as my oldest manual lens. Plus, the current plastic lenses, while optically great, don't enthuse me in the slightest. Unfortunately, in order to enable AF on m4/3s, all the lenses just about have to be very lightweight and mainly plastic.

Cheers

Ray

Ah OK, I guess I'm in the minority here. I MF with my Voigtlander 35/1.2 @ F/1.2 and sometimes with the Leica macro elmarit 45/2.8 @ F/2.8 (with MF assist for the Leica) & Panasonic 20/1.7 @ F/1.7 and have no problems with either. The 7x magnification is incredibly handy via the EVF, I find. Cheers.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i do not have the lens but i own the older screw mount version in black which i enjoy using on my gf-1 and e-p1.... its the voigtlander 28mm 1.9 lsm.

the newer version.... the 28 2.0 you have asked about , which is a native M mount lens isa different optical formula and is said to be a sharper lens too .

a 20 dollar screw to m ring is all that is necessary to use it on leica cameras or with a m to m4\3 adapter or one can use a screw mount to m4\3 adapter which has no moving parts and costs about 30 dollars [us funds] the lens can be had in the used market for alot less than the new m mount lens

the older version, while slightly less sharp wide open, enjoys the distinction of being the fastest 28mm rangefinder lens in history , so far as i know

here it is used indoors with fl-14 flash iso200 f 1.9, 1\100sec lg fine\vivid, jpg
focused on the chinese silk petite point cylinder, like ray i have no easy record of which outdoor shots were mqade with it ,outdoors its contrast and color are normal-ish , the gallery has a larger a bigger version of the image so you can see the sharpness , the one you asked about is superior to this one

P4150383.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

richie15

i do not have the lens but i own the older screw mount version in black which i enjoy using on my gf-1 and e-p1.... its the voigtlander 28mm 1.9 lsm.

the newer version.... the 28 2.0 you have asked about , which is a native M mount lens isa different optical formula and is said to be a sharper lens too .

a 20 dollar screw to m ring is all that is necessary to use it on leica cameras or with a m to m4\3 adapter or one can use a screw mount to m4\3 adapter which has no moving parts and costs about 30 dollars [us funds] the lens can be had in the used market for alot less than the new m mount lens

the older version, while slightly less sharp wide open, enjoys the distinction of being the fastest 28mm rangefinder lens in history , so far as i know

here it is used indoors with fl-14 flash iso200 f 1.9, 1\100sec lg fine\vivid, jpg
focused on the chinese silk petite point cylinder, like ray i have no easy record of which outdoor shots were mqade with it ,outdoors its contrast and color are normal-ish , the gallery has a larger a bigger version of the image so you can see the sharpness , the one you asked about is superior to this one

P4150383.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That is a fantastic shot to illustrate the point, not sure the sharpness of the chinese cylinder could be replicated with the Pana 20mm.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... What I want to do is work out some sort of easy way to record lens info, without having to resort to writing things down.
Since the camera info is recorded on the Exif, what I do is straight after downloading the photos from card into my computer I rename (WinXP=clunky and adds stupid brackets, I mostly use 'commander') them by adding the lens type into the filename.
Hmm, that sounds complicated, I might do an example later.
Hang on ... found it.
http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/
MeeSoft commander, works superbly on winXP-pro and is quicker to do stuff and a bit more ... sensible than windows itself. Once learned mind you! Careful now.
The batch rename function is brilliant and totally adaptable.

Now you can answer this : I have found in a quick test that on my G1 the jupiter LTM/39mm fit 50mm f2 lens at f2 gives much shallower DOF than my cosinon SLR-fit 50mm f1.8 at f2 ... what gives?

dyao

New to Mu-43
just curious, if you had the choice of a 28mm f/2 or the 28mm f/1.9 w/ LTM->M adapter for $110 cheaper, which would you choose? which would have better resale value? I know the f/2 is supposed to be sharper and smaller, but I've also read that it has focus shift, whatever that means..

hertz

Mu-43 Rookie
Germany, Frankfurt Oder (about 100 km east from Be
if you had the choice of a 28mm f/2 or the 28mm f/1.9 w/ LTM->M adapter for $110 cheaper, which would you choose? which would have better resale value?

Several weeks ago I answered that question for myself buying the 1,9 – did not regret that decision fwiw. One of my most used lenses since then, one of the best built voigt-lenses, fits perfectly on E-P2. But - no experience with the 2,0 and: this lens does not present its qualities out of the box, be prepared to learn what proper sharpening means with respect to fine detail with lower contrast lenses; classic appearance – smooth wide open (but sharp enough to be used in usual low-light situations; just avoid shooting landscapes wide open ;-)) ), from 2,8 and esp. 4 on really great IMO. You might want to read the highly detailed review Sean Reid published at ReidReviews comparing both, encourged me to give the 1,9 a try; two of several points: good corner performance with the 1,9, better flare resistance with the 2,0. Best were to try it in advance or buy with the option to return, especially concerning the sample-variation-issue or whatever hidden damage might have happened to a used lens. Focus shift: you might have to micro-adjust focus at individual f-stops (as far as dof does not help), not that much of an issue IMO. Resale - should be better with the 2,0, but who am I to tell not being able to sell even my completely unused Mft-kit-zoom ;-).
Best
Hans-Jürgen

dyao

New to Mu-43
thanks for the excellent info hans :) I think I'll go with the f/2, as it's a bit smaller, lighter, and most importantly has a focusing tab... I'm not a big fan of the focusing pin on older CV lenses! unfortunately it's used, so I'll have to roll the dice w/r/t sample variation... on the other hand I could buy new with the possibility of exchange, but I'd be paying about $150 more... :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom