Showcase Cosina Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
I have eventually been able to try out my Voigtlander 12mm Ultra Wide Heliar lens mounted on a Panasonic GF1.
I arrived on Dartmoor before sunrise with early morning mist still rising above the river valleys.
Unfortunately there was less sunshine and more cloud than had been forecast with a veil of cloud usually obscuring the sun, or at the very best giving unusual lighting conditions. I walked from Combestone Tor up the O Brook to the old tin streaming works at Hooten Wheals and on to the surface tin extraction site at Skir. These are some of the images obtained.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All images were shoot in RAW format, post processed in Bibble Pro 5, generally just some adjustments of highlight and fill light (shadow) values together with some increase to contrast and saturation.

The images were then down sized in GIMP to 1024 x 684 pixels at 72 ppi and some Unsharp mask applied, Radius 0.8, Amount 0.5 and Threshold 0.0.

The images are uncropped.

I have to say that I am pleased with the results in terms of resolution and image quality in the corners which some past posts have cast doubt on, now it just remains to pick a day with better light conditions, and one where the centre bolt of my Uni-loc tripod doesn't strip and the whole tripod collapse in a big heap even more reminiscent of bagpipes then normal, bringing an early halt to my photography for the day.

Barrie

PS I've just taken a delivery of a Benbo Trekker Mk 3 but have fitted my old centre column with extra extension pieces to enable it to be adjusted without loosening the leg clamp, so I've got a Benbo-Uni-Loc tripod.

Barrie

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The detail looks great ... wonder what the "contrastyness" will be like with better light?

Your experience and skill as a photographer shows for me in how you've obtained such good tonal range despite the flat light (if I'd taken these, even with a Voigtlander, they'd just be flat dull snaps!)

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These really capture the feel of a moor, thank you!
It's Dartmoor in one of it's many moods, I must return on a better day with some cumulus or cirrus cloud in the sky. About 2 miles south of where I was is Fox Tor Mire, the setting for Conan Doyle's Grimpound Mire in "The Hound of the Baskervilles". As I write this it's pouring with rain and the wind is picking up, not a night to be braving the moor!

Barrie

steviethelights

New to Mu-43
Thanks for these excellent images, nice.

But if I may, a question. I'd love to use the 12mm 5.6 but I am concerned about how far the rear element may protrude into the camera body beyond the micro four thirds mount, with this lens and the other Voigtlander wides. Did you find this to be a problem? I use an Olympus E-P1 but I'm going to assume the lens electronic contacts are placed exactly as the GF1 contacts are in relation to the lens mount. I have a generic chinese adapter.

Thank you

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Thanks for these excellent images, nice.

But if I may, a question. I'd love to use the 12mm 5.6 but I am concerned about how far the rear element may protrude into the camera body beyond the micro four thirds mount, with this lens and the other Voigtlander wides. Did you find this to be a problem? I use an Olympus E-P1 but I'm going to assume the lens electronic contacts are placed exactly as the GF1 contacts are in relation to the lens mount. I have a generic chinese adapter.

Thank you
The rear element of the lens is a 2 stage barrel (like a protruding lens on a P&S camera), the first stage is 27.5 mm in diameter and protrudes 10mm from the face of the lens that will butt against the adapter, then a smaller barrel of 22 mm diameter protrudes a further 4.2 mm.
The electrical contacts are 13.2 mm recessed from the front edge of the adapter, thus the larger diameter protrusion is some 3 mm clear of the electrical contacts when the lens is fitted to the camera and the smaller diameter protrusion is small enough in diameter to pass inside the electrical contacts, therefore there is no problem with the rear protrusion on this lens touching the electrical contacts.
I hope this reassures you.

Barrie

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
With the woeful winter we've had, I haven't been able to use mine much at all, but here's one I shot the other day. I'm really surprised at the level of crisp detail I get from this lens, seemingly more than the 15mm f4.5:

Cheers

Ray

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie

Stallion

Panasonic GF1 with Voigtlander 12mm, f/5.6 lens at f8, uncropped image.

Barrie

Drmarkf

Mu-43 Rookie
Nice images from all.

There's a lot of talk in other reviews on FF and APS-C cameras of significant vignetting, but presumably the 4/3 sensor isn't nearly as prone to that.

I'm tempted but I think I'll wAit until the rumoured Pana prime 10-12mm comes along and can be compared.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Nice images from all.

There's a lot of talk in other reviews on FF and APS-C cameras of significant vignetting, but presumably the 4/3 sensor isn't nearly as prone to that.

I'm tempted but I think I'll wait until the rumoured Pana prime 10-12mm comes along and can be compared.
This site has a test of this lens on a Sony Nex camera Voigtlander Ultra-Wide Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical II on Sony NEX - Review / Lens Test Report and concludes that vignetting is the biggest drawback with this lens.
I would suggest that it is less than the 2 stops concluded in this test when used on :43: and have found that when necessary vignetting correction in post processing raises the image to an acceptable quality, certainly as far as I am concerned.

Barrie

FSL

Mu-43 Rookie
Barcelona

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/gamin46/7105655211/" title="FSL-_1030527.jpg by gamin46, on Flickr">
"640" height="480" alt="FSL-_1030527.jpg"></a>​

GF1, ISO 100,1/200, F8, CV12mm

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom