1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Cosina Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by grebeman, Sep 30, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I have eventually been able to try out my Voigtlander 12mm Ultra Wide Heliar lens mounted on a Panasonic GF1.
    I arrived on Dartmoor before sunrise with early morning mist still rising above the river valleys.
    Unfortunately there was less sunshine and more cloud than had been forecast with a veil of cloud usually obscuring the sun, or at the very best giving unusual lighting conditions. I walked from Combestone Tor up the O Brook to the old tin streaming works at Hooten Wheals and on to the surface tin extraction site at Skir. These are some of the images obtained.

Dartmoor-300910-1000290.

Dartmoor-300910-1000300.

Dartmoor-300910-1000307.

Dartmoor-300910-1000312.

Dartmoor-300910-1000320.

Dartmoor-300910-1000331.

Dartmoor-300910-1000346.

All images were shoot in RAW format, post processed in Bibble Pro 5, generally just some adjustments of highlight and fill light (shadow) values together with some increase to contrast and saturation.

The images were then down sized in GIMP to 1024 x 684 pixels at 72 ppi and some Unsharp mask applied, Radius 0.8, Amount 0.5 and Threshold 0.0.

The images are uncropped.

I have to say that I am pleased with the results in terms of resolution and image quality in the corners which some past posts have cast doubt on, now it just remains to pick a day with better light conditions, and one where the centre bolt of my Uni-loc tripod doesn't strip and the whole tripod collapse in a big heap even more reminiscent of bagpipes then normal, bringing an early halt to my photography for the day.

Barrie

PS I've just taken a delivery of a Benbo Trekker Mk 3 but have fitted my old centre column with extra extension pieces to enable it to be adjusted without loosening the leg clamp, so I've got a Benbo-Uni-Loc tripod.

Barrie

• Like Like x 11
  2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    The detail looks great ... wonder what the "contrastyness" will be like with better light?

Your experience and skill as a photographer shows for me in how you've obtained such good tonal range despite the flat light (if I'd taken these, even with a Voigtlander, they'd just be flat dull snaps!)

• Like Like x 1
  3. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    These really capture the feel of a moor, thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    It's Dartmoor in one of it's many moods, I must return on a better day with some cumulus or cirrus cloud in the sky. About 2 miles south of where I was is Fox Tor Mire, the setting for Conan Doyle's Grimpound Mire in "The Hound of the Baskervilles". As I write this it's pouring with rain and the wind is picking up, not a night to be braving the moor!

Barrie

5. steviethelights

steviethelights New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2010
    uk
    Thanks for these excellent images, nice.

But if I may, a question. I'd love to use the 12mm 5.6 but I am concerned about how far the rear element may protrude into the camera body beyond the micro four thirds mount, with this lens and the other Voigtlander wides. Did you find this to be a problem? I use an Olympus E-P1 but I'm going to assume the lens electronic contacts are placed exactly as the GF1 contacts are in relation to the lens mount. I have a generic chinese adapter.

Thank you

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    The rear element of the lens is a 2 stage barrel (like a protruding lens on a P&S camera), the first stage is 27.5 mm in diameter and protrudes 10mm from the face of the lens that will butt against the adapter, then a smaller barrel of 22 mm diameter protrudes a further 4.2 mm.
    The electrical contacts are 13.2 mm recessed from the front edge of the adapter, thus the larger diameter protrusion is some 3 mm clear of the electrical contacts when the lens is fitted to the camera and the smaller diameter protrusion is small enough in diameter to pass inside the electrical contacts, therefore there is no problem with the rear protrusion on this lens touching the electrical contacts.
    I hope this reassures you.

Barrie

7. steviethelights

steviethelights New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2010
    uk
    It certainly does reassure me, thank you very much. Now I can't wait to get my own 12mm. Splendid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Lovely pictures and great colour rendition !

Cheers,
    Raj.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    I'm perfectly satisfied with my 12mm Heliar. This image prints very well, lotsa of shadow detail under the eaves.

Attached Files:

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    With the woeful winter we've had, I haven't been able to use mine much at all, but here's one I shot the other day. I'm really surprised at the level of crisp detail I get from this lens, seemingly more than the 15mm f4.5:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 3
  11. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    1000356-1.

Stallion

Panasonic GF1 with Voigtlander 12mm, f/5.6 lens at f8, uncropped image.

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  12. Drmarkf

Drmarkf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Nice images from all.

There's a lot of talk in other reviews on FF and APS-C cameras of significant vignetting, but presumably the 4/3 sensor isn't nearly as prone to that.

I'm tempted but I think I'll wAit until the rumoured Pana prime 10-12mm comes along and can be compared.

13. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    This site has a test of this lens on a Sony Nex camera Voigtlander Ultra-Wide Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical II on Sony NEX - Review / Lens Test Report and concludes that vignetting is the biggest drawback with this lens.
    I would suggest that it is less than the 2 stops concluded in this test when used on :43: and have found that when necessary vignetting correction in post processing raises the image to an acceptable quality, certainly as far as I am concerned.

Barrie

14. FSL

FSL Mu-43 Rookie

Barcelona

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/gamin46/7105655211/" title="FSL-_1030527.jpg by gamin46, on Flickr"> 7105655211_08430e2d90_z. "640" height="480" alt="FSL-_1030527.jpg"></a>​

GF1, ISO 100,1/200, F8, CV12mm