Cosina Announces Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 Nokton ASPH

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Cosina has announced a new Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 ASPH lens, which joins their existing 25mm f/0.95 lens as the fastest available lenses for Micro Four Thirds.

Like the 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, the new 17.5mm lens is manual focus only.

Given manual focus only, a starting price of 1300 EUR, and a weight of 540g, this is a specialty lens. No doubt it will be popular among videographers, and it should sell well if it can perform as well as the 25mm Nokton.

Source: Photoscala via 1001 Noisy Cameras
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Nice!!! Pricey though ... and m4/3 really needs to add peaking as a MF assist.
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I'd been hoping for a faster 17, but this is more than I'd dreamed of. I was wanting 1.8 and affordable...damn voigtlander!!
  4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    same here, i would settle for a 17mm from olympus in pancake form with a 2.0 aperture (update on this aging lens much needed) but this is kind of overkill too..not that its a bad thing/.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is sweet! Now all we need is a 45mm f/0.95, and we'll have a new "Holy Trinity" of lenses, lol. =D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    That's TOTALLY what I was thinking.

I also REALLY like it if Oly would update the 17mm to a faster f stop... instead of countless 14-45's :frown: I'm not planning on the 17.5mm lens for my line up, but if they do have an eventual 45 or 50mm, I will totally get both of those to compliment my 25mm.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am not impressed personally.

First and foremost is the price, almost $1700. Ouch!

Second is this focal length of 17.5mm converts to a 35mm in FF which I have never liked. Too wide to be a normal but not wide enough to be a good wide.

I have never used one of their lenses before but the reviews are good. If I get a chance to pick up the 25mm at a good price I will but this lens is not on my list. I would much rather take the same amount of money and get several lenses of lesser price.
  8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This is really good news. This means that the 25mm f/0.95 Nockton is selling well enough that Cosina will be making a second lens for the m43 mount. Even now I think the 25mm is still supply-constrained.
  9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA

I think it may be the dreaded (for the non-usa people) Euros = USD problem. The pricing may ignore the exchange rate and just have it at $1300 USD... which is still painful :frown:
  10. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

If it is as good as my 25mm 0.95. It will be very hard to resist. 35 mm is a focal length that I want to have filled by a great quality lens. Price may be an issue but I have never regreted spending the buy in price for the 25mm, hopefully this will be a classic lens.
  11. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    +1! Hoping for focus peaking on the OMD or GH3.
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    omg must haz eet! :D

tho $1700 is a bit much... tho i could sell the 17/2.8, 20/1.7, and my e30... hmmmm

quick! someone buy those 3 things for $1700 please...