Showcase Cosina 24mm f/2.8 MC Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by stratokaster, Dec 22, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This lens was manufactured in the mid-80s by Cosina and sold under various brand names (Cosina, Vivitar, Exacta and even Carl Zeiss Jena). It's rumored to be very sharp. Despite it's macro designation, it's not really a macro lens, but it focuses really close for a wide angle: its MFD is just 15 cm from the image plane, which is impressive.

My copy of the lens is labeled as Exacta and comes in the Canon FD mount. I bought it for about $12 to replace my late Tokina 24mm f/2.8 which drowned in the Dnieper 3 weeks ago. Actually I wanted to buy the Canon FDn 24/2.8, but couldn't find one in time for upcoming holidays. I will be mainly using this lens in my film setup, but also did a couple of test shots on my GH2 to see if it's really good.

What can I say? I'm very impressed. The lens is already sharp (but slightly hazy) at f/2.8, and at f/4 it's very sharp.

This one was shot at f/8 to achieve reasonable DOF:

Po4ln57a97OYKhHWJunm.

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/Po4ln57a97OYKhHWJunm.jpg

And this image shows sharpness in the center of the frame at f/4 (this is 100% crop):

JzkLygZGbXfKMcoMDp1z.

The bottom of the "GIII QL" badge is soft because of limited DOF, not because the lens is soft.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fast25

fast25 New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2012
    Just to add to this, in the UK this lens was also sold under the Miranda brand (like Exakta, another defunct camera brand resurrected for re-badged Cosina products). I've not tried this lens on my Olympus, but natively on my Pentax it really is sharp and I'm struggling to find any evidence of CA whatsoever.

A really, really great lens for £30... now I just need to get a K-m4/3 adaptor :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    K-m4/3 adaptor

Hi sorry to resurrect the thread, im having trouble locating the Adaptor for Cosina 24mm f2.8 to m4/3 cameras

Do you know where i can find such an adaptor?

Thanks

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It depends on what mount your lens is in...

5. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    P3160037.
    I got hold of one of these (the Miranda version) years ago from eBay. Used it quite a bit on my old OM-2, and now it's spending most of its time attached to my new OM-D as a 50mm(ish) equivalent, until I've saved up enough for the Panny 25mm, or indeed an Oly 25mm 1.8 if/when it ever appears...

Here are a couple of macro examples of literally what was in front of me at my desk... :smile:

P3070275.
    Miranda 24mm @ 2.8 ISO 200

P3160015.
    Miranda 24mm @ 2.8 ISO 200

6. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.