1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Cosina 24mm f/2.8 MC Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by stratokaster, Dec 22, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This lens was manufactured in the mid-80s by Cosina and sold under various brand names (Cosina, Vivitar, Exacta and even Carl Zeiss Jena). It's rumored to be very sharp. Despite it's macro designation, it's not really a macro lens, but it focuses really close for a wide angle: its MFD is just 15 cm from the image plane, which is impressive.

My copy of the lens is labeled as Exacta and comes in the Canon FD mount. I bought it for about $12 to replace my late Tokina 24mm f/2.8 which drowned in the Dnieper 3 weeks ago. Actually I wanted to buy the Canon FDn 24/2.8, but couldn't find one in time for upcoming holidays. I will be mainly using this lens in my film setup, but also did a couple of test shots on my GH2 to see if it's really good.

What can I say? I'm very impressed. The lens is already sharp (but slightly hazy) at f/2.8, and at f/4 it's very sharp.

This one was shot at f/8 to achieve reasonable DOF:

Po4ln57a97OYKhHWJunm.

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/Po4ln57a97OYKhHWJunm.jpg

And this image shows sharpness in the center of the frame at f/4 (this is 100% crop):

JzkLygZGbXfKMcoMDp1z.

The bottom of the "GIII QL" badge is soft because of limited DOF, not because the lens is soft.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fast25

fast25 New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2012
    Just to add to this, in the UK this lens was also sold under the Miranda brand (like Exakta, another defunct camera brand resurrected for re-badged Cosina products). I've not tried this lens on my Olympus, but natively on my Pentax it really is sharp and I'm struggling to find any evidence of CA whatsoever.

A really, really great lens for £30... now I just need to get a K-m4/3 adaptor :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    K-m4/3 adaptor

Hi sorry to resurrect the thread, im having trouble locating the Adaptor for Cosina 24mm f2.8 to m4/3 cameras

Do you know where i can find such an adaptor?

Thanks

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It depends on what mount your lens is in...

5. ovengloves

ovengloves Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    England, UK
    P3160037.
    I got hold of one of these (the Miranda version) years ago from eBay. Used it quite a bit on my old OM-2, and now it's spending most of its time attached to my new OM-D as a 50mm(ish) equivalent, until I've saved up enough for the Panny 25mm, or indeed an Oly 25mm 1.8 if/when it ever appears...

Here are a couple of macro examples of literally what was in front of me at my desk... :smile:

P3070275.
    Miranda 24mm @ 2.8 ISO 200

P3160015.
    Miranda 24mm @ 2.8 ISO 200

6. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T