1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

correcting for sigma lens yellow cast?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jyc860923, May 28, 2013.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    there's the yellow tint in the photos done with sigma lens, I'm using the 60 2.8 and I've found the problem to be very common among sigma lenses (19, 30), anyone experienced this and solution?

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Really? I like the color the Sigma's give. I'll have to go back to some shots and take another look.

3. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi:smile:

I really love the 60 2.8 as my portrait lens and a little bit of yellow renders skins better looking. but the yellow turns out obvious sometimes, with a cloudy day look.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never noticed any yellow cast with my 30mm. In fact I just tested it against other primes at several different WB settings and the colors look the same to me. If it is off it is a tiny amount.

5. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    :2thumbs:ok then. I just think I got the yellow but I haven't done any scientific comparisons, but it's ok as long as people don't see any problem with the output.

what I don't really understand is how a lens could affect colour reproduction since we are using digital (with CWB) now? I remember didn't like the 14 2.5 for the colour not being rich, but don't know the reason behind that.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lenses can effect the colors rendered. The composition of the glass and lens design{internal elements} are the main reasons. Remember colors are rays of light and the lens is all about focusing that light.

7. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    A simple white balance correction should help whatever color shift you are seeing. My Super-takumar has a noticeable yellow-orange color and shifting the white balance to the blue end balances things out. If this isn't enough (or you want to correct prior to PP), you could try placing a cooling filter on the lens.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually, no such thing as 'simple' white balance, I think. Using a specific CWB for the lighting being used is more likely to prove useful. This is especially true in artificial and doubly true for mixed lighting sources. The more 'structure' in the light spectrum the more critical the WB becomes.

Trying to shoot using only a campfire as the primary light source presents tremendous problems in WB as the 'temperature' of the light spectrum is in a constant state of change. Unless the subject is holding a color checker and/or grey card getting a correct WB is almost impossible (at least for me).

9. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Good point, I suppose I was under the assumption that he was looking to correct images after the fact. I usually find shooting a card in dynamic lighting to be a bit clunky though. RAW usually gives me enough leeway to get a WB I'm happy with for the majority of images (and I can concentrate on exposure/composition).

I do set a CWB though when I have more control over the lighting.