1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Corel buys Bibble

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by greerd, Jan 10, 2012.

1. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

Corel AfterShot Pro (ASP) is the new name for Bibble Pro and is very similar to Bibble Pro ver. 5.2.3 but with a smoother interface, faster processing, new color engine, stripped down DAM and more, for better or worse. Existing Bibble plugins are not directly compatible with ASP because of the new color engine (?) but most are being worked on.

I hope that Corel will have enough influence to get the lens data from both Olympus and Panasonic to lift ASP into the same playing field as Adobe.

From what I've read on the Bibble forums, the new color engine is an improvement and the ASP software is generally more stable than Bibble. ASP continues Bibbles support of Windows, Mac and Linux. I've also read on the Bibble forums that the GH2 colors are much improved.

Existing registered Bibble users should get an email with a $20 upgrade (sidegrade) offer.

Anyone not using Adobe stuff???

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Oh wow Corel and Bibble are still around?

3. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I LOVE Bibble 5.

FYI. Corel announced that they have the raw convertors for the E-M5 in their new Aftershot Pro (Bibble Guts). It's only $80 so I might jump on it.

Corel AfterShot Pro

4. rajeshr

rajeshr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Heh! I worked at Corel during their heydays in the mid-90's. Great place to work with driven people working to create excellent products. They had some awesome products at that time.

Towards the end of the century, they lost their focus and the company went downhill for a long time. Good to see that they are back to life even though it's a shadow of it's former self!

P.S. I was surprised to learn that they had bought out WinZip too!

• Like Like x 1
  5. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Gah. Last time I had anything serious to do with Corel was during the disastrous beta program for the **** version of Corel WordPerfect Office. I still occasionally have nightmares about that mess... ;) At least it taught me that **** sucked for anything real.

Back in the day, I liked them on Windows and OS/2 and their Mac version was better than most simple ports of that era. Now? I really didn't know they were still in biz.

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    HUH? four stars for a certain coffee named programing language? I"ve run into a lot of language filters in my day but really?

• Like Like x 1
  7. rajeshr

rajeshr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I guess J@va is a bad word around here. BTW, I managed parts of the Corel Office Suite, but even I could see the J@va version was going to be a colossal failure.

8. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    At the time I wanted to believe the hype. It would have been fun to have something that ran identically on Sparc, PPC, Intel & MIPS but life isn't that simple is it?

9. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Corel Painter and Paint Shop Pro are excellent programs. Where have you guys been? I keep up to date with Photoshop and Corel photo products and have for years. So do a lot of serious photographers. Corel's PSP has been a great competitor.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have Paintshop Pro X3. It is ... passable. Its RAW conversion is not. VideoStudio has really been getting on my nerves. I just got the Elements bundle (Photoshop + Premiere) and that is a much better package so far.

As for the coffee named programming language, it can't die fast enough. Write once, suck anywhere. We have so many better options -- Python, C#, Ruby, whatever.

11. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

You can download ASP for a free month trial, if you do make sure to goto the plugin page and try some of those. Also ASP is QT based, not j@va.

12. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

My first Linux distro was CLOS (Corel Linux OS) and in hindsight it was a beautiful distro based on Debian that worked very well in a Windows network. No wonder Microsoft paid them $35 M to dump it.

13. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Corel didn't develop Paint Shop Pro. Corel bought it. It was a great competitor until Corel bought it.

Corel previously offered PhotoPaint which I used for several years and really liked. I felt it was far better suited to photographers than Adobe Photoshop. But what happened to PhotoPaint?

Corel buying Bibble isn't exactly news. It happened some time ago.

And it isn't exactly earth-shattering news when one company in decline buys or merges with another in the same situation. Does anyone recall what happened to Konica and Minolta? Two weak components do not make a strong whole.

14. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I wouldn't exactly call less than four months "old news" Especially when Adobe has yet to release a raw convertor for the E-M5 and Corel already did. I give full credit to the Bibble Lab's team that went over for that though. As an avid user of Bibble for the past 5 years, I've always found their product easier and faster to use than Lightroom. It was sad to hear them being bought out by Corel. My first thought was...there goes Bibble down the drain.

I'll post an update in a new thread once I get my E-M5 and Aftershot Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    Perhaps the best thing going for ASP is its speed. The fastest RAW converter I've ever tested. Right now, it's selling for $49.99.

However, ASP seems to be far behind in adding camera/lens support. What I really dislike about it, however, is the fact that many adjustment tools are not native to the program but "plugins" written by third parties.

I prefer DxO Optics Pro 8 for my workflow, which involves a lot of post processing.

Bob

16. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Aftershot Pro download going for $39 CDN this week. I already have it & highly recommend it for blazing fast raw converting and file cataloging.

There is a test beta release available at :
    http://www.aftershotpro.com/testbuilds/
    Might have the new camera support you need....but my prod install already has OM-D EM-5 support.
    I recently tried the DxO trial and just can't seem to get my head around it...maybe I'm stuck in the ASP mindset...but it seems to not let me have full control of image adjustments and doesn't appear to save the image's setting unless I process a raw into a jpeg or tiff. That seems like old school compared to ASP's non-destructive "XMP" file associative filtering method. Also, watching it try to process 5 RAW files was like watching grass grow! Took nearly 5 min. ASP would slice thru that like the hot knife thru butter...something like under 60 sec for 5 raws.

17. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Any relation to ishkabibble?