1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cord / cable for FL-LM1 flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Nemchaninov, May 21, 2016.

1. Nemchaninov

Nemchaninov New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2016
    USSR
    Nick
    Hello everyone!
    I need a cable / cord to connect FL-LM1 with my Oly E-PL5. Then I can hold my flash in hand. e-pl5.
    It's real?

2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've got bad news and good news. First, the bad, I've been unable to find any connecting cord that utilizes the APS Port that would power the FL-LM1 and allow off the camera TTL flash for this tiny flash. Now the good news, this tiny flash can act as a commander flash for up to 3 separate off camera flashes wirelessly. I just set my very similar FL-LM2 (EM1) that I use to control the old FL-36R (43s') flash and it works great. I'd bet this wireless controller flash will control any m43s' (or 43s') flash that uses battery power without the need for a cord. I do have an Olympus TTL flash extension cable (FL-CB05) that can slide into any Olympus Hot Shoe and allow wired TTL control of any Olympus flash that is powered by batteries. Thankfully you have the choice of using the FL-LM1 as a wireless flash controller or use an Olympus TTL flash cable, in both cases it will require you to get a self powered flash that can communicate wirelessly with the FL-LM1 or wired with the flash extension cable.
    Good luck in your choice.
    Bobby

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  3. Nemchaninov

Nemchaninov New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2016
    USSR
    Nick
    Bobby, thank you!
    But I have no other flashes.

I need soldering iron and 1,5m-cable :biggrin:
    Wish me luck :dance3:

Attached Files:

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Please be very carefull! The little capacitor that's inside every electronic flash innards I've ever seen shows this capacitor and they hold a very strong electrical charge. I took an old broken flash apart in the early 70s' and accidently touched the capacitor and it knocked me to the ground!
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Bobby

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I second the advice to be careful, high voltages are scary.

I once brushed my hand against a nonthyristor flash from the 70s which had exposed contacts on the hotshoe, it hurt like hell and then my arm was numb for half a day afterwards. (all my muscles constricted, my left arm flew out sideways and impacted with a wall and was bruised, I lost control of my body and fell over... all at once in a fraction of a second)

Not to mention it scared the absolute crap out of me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I third the above advice. Olympus makes a small flash that can use your camera's accessory port ... and can also be used off camera (commanded by the tiny flash you already have). It's the FL-300R. They're not that expensive, especially used. I just happen to have posted a very lightly used one for sale in the Marketplace here. (Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but this is much safer than the operation you propose.) :)