Copying settings one Pen-F to another Pen-F

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Got a second Pen-F. Trying to ensure Settings on both Pen-Fs are the same. Both say they have latest firmware 3.1, and this is confirmed in Olympus Workspace/Camera Updater when I try to update firmware "You have the latest".

Saved the Settings from camera A to the computer. Tried to load those settings to new camera B, and I am told I need to update that camera's firmware to 3.1.0.1 (see attached screenshot). Very strange- can't find any reference to such firmware.

Anyone done something similar? Perhaps this simply can't be done, and you can only save/load Settings to the same body/serial number? If so, strange notification. I know other brands can do it, perhaps not Olympus?
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 1.57.59 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Hey Rick, that's very, very odd. I also own two Pen-Fs and the first thing I've done after getting my second Pen last year, was updating the firmware and copying over the settings I previously saved from my original camera - worked like a charm. In addition I also completely changed the Color Profiles I saved on C1 and C2 a few months later on my primary (older) Pen-F, again backed up the settings in Olympus Workspace, connected the second Pen and loaded the settings, again it worked flawlessly.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just a thought, and I don't have a Pen so I may not know what I am talking about, but can you save and restore settings with the Oi.Share app? Perhaps since Oi.Share is not also a FW updater, it might not care and allow you to transfer the settings?

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, one can only SAVE Settings via OI Share.

I will have to contact Olympus Tuesday about that firmware issue. CameraUpdater told me both are latest firmware, no options. They close at 11am my time, so not much room to dawdle 😊

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Seems to be no solution for the moment. Spoke with OM-D tech support. Engineers not sure there is a v3.1.0.1 or not, there may be but not sure (!). They say there is a known problem with latest version(s) of Mac OS Big Sur and/or M1 chip Macs. They have no suggestion as to how to proceed other than to find a Mac running older OS and try that. I said that if firmware 3.2, for example, were to come out, I could presumably update both and they would have same firmware. Or if I could get the Pen-F with "up-to-date" firmware according to Olympus Camera Updater (but apparently it is not) to reinstall the "latest" firmware (presumably 3.1.0.1), that would also solve the problem, but, again, not possible. A firmware update for Pen-F is not likely, they are focusing on E-M1 Mk iii and E-M1-X.

I post this in case someone else has similar problem. Not sure I want to go the LightSnow flash updater route, lest I brick the camera.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I have used the LightSnow method to go back to an earlier firmware, and it worked well. In reality it is a better method, and very similar to the way I had to do a Panasonic camera. The only thing to watch is renaming the file as covered on the website.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I haven't tried the method of flashing the firmware via SD-card, however I also agree with David it seems to be actually more secure than updating via computer: USB connection could fail, the OS could crash, power outage on a desktop, and so on. Fujifilm for example also only allows firmware updates via memory cards: You download the file from Fujis website, copy it over to a freshly formatted card, insert it to the camera and power that on up while holding some button. Then you are able to flash the firmware. In this case, the potential sources which lead to a bad flash are at least reduced. Sure the card could fail, but a corrupted file could also happen via USB flash, same goes for a battery going bad.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Agree re. flashing being superior. This situation shows the weak link of using software to control the process- if the software isn't kept updated, the system breaks down. No matter how great the upcoming changes for E-M1X and E-M1 Mk III are, if I can't use the Olympus Workspace program to install them, it doesn't matter. Big Sur OS out many months, Olympus not only one behind the curve.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom