1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Copy variation

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdk42, May 14, 2015.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    For reasons which I don't fully understand or condone (;)), I'm now on my second copies of both the 9-18 and 7-14. I bought the 9-18 first and then bought the 7-14. I found the IQ on the 7-14 notably better but the purple flare and, more importantly, the lack of an easy filter solution eventually pushed me to sell it. I soldiered on with the 9-18 but I was never happy with the IQ - esp corner sharpness which was quite poor no matter how much I stopped it down.

I eventually gave in and sold it, buying another 7-14. I then remembered all the reasons why I sold my first copy! A DIY attempt on a filter holder just didn't work too well at anything wider than 10mm and to cap it all I was taking shots indoors last week where there were bright halogen lights and the purple blobs caused by flare from them is just ugly, ugly, ugly. Flare from the sun can often be controlled by careful positioning, but there was nothing I could about it indoors with so many small bright light sources.

So, I just picked up another copy of the 9-18 - I think because I was possessed by some demons lurking at the bottom of a bottle of red wine. But, lo! the new copy is a cracker! It's very, very nearly as sharp as the 7-14. Certainly close enough that blind A/B comparisons can fool me. Now I understand those posts saying that the IQ from the 9-18 is good!

So, I think the 7-14 will be up for sale.

I'd always been somewhat sceptical about copy variation stories before, but now I'm a believer!

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I've seen this movie too :) Had 9-18, sold it, bought 7-14, sold it, picked up another 7-14 after 2 months..

No copy variation will go as wide as 7mm - main point (imo) of picking 7-14 over 9-18.
    Have you seen my take on modding 7-14 to take filters?
    Also, I finally swapped back plate and put in 2E filter and so far my purple flares and fringing are cured.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've also applied the 'shading frame' mod housing a wratten 2E, results are excellent when I'm using an Olympus camera body.

4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought your first 7-14!!!
    I take your point about 7mm vs 9mm - and the difference is pretty big. However, I can probably live with 9mm.

I've seen your mod on the 7-14 - not for the faint-hearted!!

5. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I tried the rear gel holder on my first 7-14 Steve - but I found the gels fiddly and prone to scratching. I could also detect some 'blooming' on bright light sources so decided it wasn't an ideal solution.

6. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I've seen significant copy variation with the 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, and 14-42 IIR. To be fair it's not just an Oly problem - I've seen the same with Sony, Panasonic, and Nikon (haven't used Fuji enough, but from what I've read they've got their own share of duds). It's a problem when lens makers are building lenses with an eye on maximizing margin but not investing in QC.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo