Cops talked to me about taking a photo

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The young teenage daughter of my neighbor was riding a ride on toy backhoe down the street today while talking on a cell phone. I thought it was funny, so I attempted to take a photo. The photo didn't come out however. Tonight at around 8:00 2 cops came to my door and told me that my neighbor had reported that I was taking photos of her daughter. I explained to the cops what had happened and they laughed about it, and I think this is the end of it.

I also think I will quit blowing the snow of the neighbor's sidewalk and driveway and let her lazy children deal with it. I will also continue to post photos of their extremely neglected dog that lives in a yard filled with a year's worth of feces. Maybe I should also get the neighbor to repair all the holes in my fence that were put there by Dante and the previously neglected dog, Summer.

The neglected Dante.

25091228199_dccee3c46e_k.
    Dante
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

25456872055_06dbd0de0e_k.
    Dante
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Despite it being legal, I wouldn't take a photo of my neighbor's teenage daughter, nor would I want them taking a photo of my child. The fact that they are crappy neighbors doesn't really factor in to it, afaiac.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The world's gone to hell; you can't even take a picture of a kid doing something funny without being thought of as a pervert. I've missed so many shots of kids that the parents would just love because of the type of reaction you got.
    And re your neighbors, you can't get anyone to investigate animal neglect, or do anything about it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    That would be the time to simply state to the cops, "OK so I don't understand why you are here because clearly you must of explained to them over the phone that there was nothing illegal about photographing ANYONE who is out and about in public, right?" And then smiled nicely.

THEN explained what happened, but still nicely making the point that really they should have handled this over the phone and there was no need to drive to your house making a scene.

I bet your neighbors were hiding behind their drapes peaking out at you and taking cell phone shots of the police talking to you to post to their trashy friends on Facebook.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I guess I live in entirely different neighborhood and am glad I do. My neighbors and their kids love the photos I give them of the kids on block that are outplaying or acting silly!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Sheesh!
    Sorry, Harvey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I know exactly what you mean. I often walk around my local park and many times have seen kids having a great time in the paddling pool, but I never take photos because of the perceived ideas of a lot of todays society. As a guy of 62 it could very well be twisted to suit whatever other peoples imagination can come up with. Such a shame that so many photo opportunities go begging.

• Like Like x 1
  8. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I understand where you're coming from, but I can also see why a parent might fret about their kids in this day and age.

That said, the neglected dog part really irritates. They're family, not possessions. Effin' people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Great neighbours you have! Unbelievable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The curious part of me wonders what you would find if you searched for these kid's Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat accounts. I suspect that could really send a parent over the edge. An understandable parental instinct, but somewhat misplaced in the age of social media. Sorry to hear your neighbors are challenging and lacking in trust with you. It sounds like they are struggling with a lot of life's basics.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    some people are just mean to others and their own dogs, I don't understand how highly they think of themselves. there's a neighbour of mine who (she and her husband both) I see every time when encountered an incident when walking their dog, became exasperated as if they have every right to be angry because of the other "lowlives"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Not sure where some of you are from but in many jurisdictions there may well be a law or ordinance dealing with photographing under-aged children surreptitiously or without permission. It is a really unfortunate sign of our times but the possibility exists that such photos could be used for - er - unsavory purposes, particularly if taken by a stranger. The sad part here is that these are neighbors and the OP is not a stranger. The parents apparently didn't think to just talk to their neighbor and instead felt the need to call police. Sounds like there might be something else going on here.

As a retired officer, I can say I would have taken such a call seriously and investigated. I'd probably react the same after finding out the real situation, laugh it off. If the photographer has unsavory ideas, he will get the point and, in the vast majority of cases, he will be like the OP, completely innocent.

I'd recommend folks be very careful about taking internet advice about supposedly inviolable rights to take whatever pictures you want or otherwise do whatever you think you have a right to. Even if you turn out to be right, it could be unpleasant or even expensive proving it and if you are wrong, even more unpleasant. Don't challenge cops doing their job. You will invariably lose. If you feel strongly about it, deal with it after the fact, perhaps with a visit or call to their supervisor or even legal representation. The OP handled this just right.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    In the words of Prince: Sign "☮" the Times, very sad.

Personally I don't think that you did anything wrong and I think that the way someone treats animals tells you all you need to know about the person.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I wholeheartedly hope that IS NOT the case that a person can no longer take pictures in public of anybody, young or old.
    While I no longer live in USA I know for a fact that here in Australia the law permits taking images of anybody in a public place (like a road).
    There are many incidences where the police is misinformed and handles complains incorrectly and I really hope that is the case here, in USA.
    It would be a very sad place where overzealous parents suddenly start to encroach into my liberty of expression and my pleasure of photographing.
    On the other hand trying to avoid trouble is NOT the way to go about it as I am a firm believer that bad things happen when good people do nothing, including not exercising one's right, even if it is just to photograph.
    To think of it: one can carry a handgun but not a camera? WTF is wrong with the world?.... :mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Guns were specifically mentioned in the constitution but cameras were not. 'Murica. lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @Harvey Melvin Richards@Harvey Melvin Richards,

Absolutely ridiculous IMO, but I guess at least the cops didn't take it too serious. On a different note, surely there must be some humane society or animal abuse Facebook page for the area in which you live. If it were me, I'd post photos of Dante to the Facebook page, along with the name of the owners and their full address. If the animal is being neglected, eventually someone will notice.

17. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Sorry to hear of your being hassled, but it sounds like the cops were not taking the complaint to seriously, and I think you have a good enough history as a photographer and model citizen that nothing will come of it. Keep shooting!

And press the issue of the dog.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I know of no place in the U.S. where you can not take photos of anything in a public place, including children.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Medicine is good for you, right?
    And what does it say on every medicine bottle or pack of pills?

That's right, "Keep Away From Children". Good advice.

Seriously, though I'm sorry for you, Harvey. Seems like these days innocence is no excuse.
    I'm even more sorry for the very handsome Dante.

20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Yup, the myths of the internet.

It lets LEOs believe they are not subject to being photographed in public. It lets Transportation Officers believe they can restrict you from taking photos of trains, trams, trolley's, busses. It let's business folks think can stop you from taking photos of their business buildings even though you're on the street or public sidewalk. It let's people think you have to have their permission to take their photos no matter what the public meeting or area is.

All myths in the U.S.

And about Photographers Rights by an attorney. (pdf file)

Now on the other hand - just because it's legal, it doesn't mean you should. Respect of others goes a lot further than internet myths that only end up demeaning our legal system.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.