Coopers Hawk Eats Quaker Parrot- NYC

Discussion in 'Nature' started by SteveNunez, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, I had my Samsung NX11 and Sigma 400mm APO (mf) lens and captured these shots at my local NYC park.
    It appears a Cooper's Hawk caught and killed a Quaker Parrot which are not technically native to NYC but have adapted and made permanent residences in NYC parks....

Video here:
    http://www.stevenunez.com/hosted/samsungnx11/03124107.mov

• Like Like x 4
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    raptors are beautiful but I love all birds and the predatory habits just make me sad.....
    Preferred "Vanishing Prairie" over the modern nature films.

3. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Tastes like chicken?

Nice shots!

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Raptors Gotta Eat Too

It's a good thing he is preying on non-indiginous birds. It's almost always the case that exotics mess with the local resident fauna. Good hawk! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    It's a bird-eat-bird world, I guess.

I have a series of rather gruesome shots of a scrub jay killing a juvenile mockingbird in our backyard. Essentially the jay poked the mockingbird's brains out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Having the raptors hunt successfully is a pleasing thing, sad part is I also enjoy seeing large parrots flying around NYC parks, makes for nice visuals.

7. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Incidentally Steve, what f-stop were you on to get those shots with that monster lens?

8. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I'm not entirely sure as I was changing f-stops to vary sharpness but I think f11 was the setting......I have tons of shots at varying f-stops and it appears the lens is sharp across the full range with max sharpness from 6.3 to 11- but still sharp at other stops.

• Like Like x 1