1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Coopers Hawk Eats Quaker Parrot- NYC

Discussion in 'Nature' started by SteveNunez, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, I had my Samsung NX11 and Sigma 400mm APO (mf) lens and captured these shots at my local NYC park.
    It appears a Cooper's Hawk caught and killed a Quaker Parrot which are not technically native to NYC but have adapted and made permanent residences in NYC parks....

Video here:
    http://www.stevenunez.com/hosted/samsungnx11/03124107.mov

• Like Like x 4
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    raptors are beautiful but I love all birds and the predatory habits just make me sad.....
    Preferred "Vanishing Prairie" over the modern nature films.

3. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut Subscribing Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Tastes like chicken?

Nice shots!

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Raptors Gotta Eat Too

It's a good thing he is preying on non-indiginous birds. It's almost always the case that exotics mess with the local resident fauna. Good hawk! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    It's a bird-eat-bird world, I guess.

I have a series of rather gruesome shots of a scrub jay killing a juvenile mockingbird in our backyard. Essentially the jay poked the mockingbird's brains out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveNunez

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Having the raptors hunt successfully is a pleasing thing, sad part is I also enjoy seeing large parrots flying around NYC parks, makes for nice visuals.

7. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Incidentally Steve, what f-stop were you on to get those shots with that monster lens?

8. SteveNunez

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I'm not entirely sure as I was changing f-stops to vary sharpness but I think f11 was the setting......I have tons of shots at varying f-stops and it appears the lens is sharp across the full range with max sharpness from 6.3 to 11- but still sharp at other stops.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.