1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cool Starbust Flare Comparison: Oly 45mm, Panny 20mm, and Oly 4/3 14-54mm mkII

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jambaj0e, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So while I was playing around with lighting setups for a day of product shooting w/ perfume bottles, I happen to come up with this idea of having a starburst effect with our main strobe by shooting light unto the camera at the lens's smallest aperture.

What is interested is the shapes and flares that comes around from the three lenses I used on my Panasonic GH2

These photos are unedited

Olympus m.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 closed down to f22

6520128275_d5a1d2d179_o.

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 closed down to f16

6520128087_ed51c97e47_o.

Olympus 4/3 Zuiko 15-54mm mkII f2.8-3.5 lens at 14mm focal length and closed down to f22

6520127951_33db58dce0_o.

There really is a difference in an Olympus 4/3 High Grade Glass compared to the micro 4/3 glass when it comes to flare control, starburst shape, etc. All of them has 7 circular diaphragm blades. Going back and forth in the focal length and looking at the two primes, I noticed that the wider end (14mm or 20mm) has the best flare look, while the tele end (45mm or 54mm) minimizes the starburst flare .

• Like Like x 1
  2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I'm really amazed at how well the 20mm performs here, actually.

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010

Well, when you close the aperture all the way, you're suppose to get that starburst effect. The 4/3 14mm-54mm lens definitely has the best looking starburst out of the three. Beautiful shape and almost no blueish tint

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Agreed with Joe on this one - the starburst is an effect of the aperture being closed down, so good starburst would be considered even long streaks coming out from the light source, like the last photo; in this regard the 20mm is actually the dud of the bunch! the off colors around the light source in the 20mm shot to me are indicators of poor flare control as well.

Joe - I wish I had some posted online, but for flare resistance and the most spectacular starbursts ever seen you've got to check out some samples from the pentax 15mm F4 limited - by far my favorite lens, and a magnificent performer staring straight at the sun :)

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you want to manufacture starbursts you can. Add a pattern of thread or string over the aperture. Play with a cross or three threads (for a 6 pointed star). This is a trick used by astronomers to create diffraction spikes as a focussing aid.

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Just saw some examples of the Pentax 15mm F4 Limited. Unbelievable starburst, so beautiful it looks like it was created in Photoshop =)

7. RobWatson

Gotta yank out that tube! Very distracting.

8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Huh? Are you talking about in the perfume bottles? We were going to return them, so we didn't want to mess with it. But I did digitally remove them in post.

I'm gonna put up the rest when I get through more photos, but here is an example of a bottle with its tube digitally removed:

6521849697_0174c9bcfe_b.

9. RobWatson

I can't recall ever seeing an ad in which that tube thing was visible so it jumped right out!

No comp on the bottles! Cheap bastards.

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Haha, it was a personal test shoot, to learn how to light it and to put into my portfolio. Best to practice in your own shoot, not on a client's shoot, lol

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The number of rays that you get in this kind of starburst is also dependent on the number of aperture blades a lens has. If there are even number of blades, you'll have the same number of rays and the number of rays double up when the lens has odd number of blades.

For example, if a lens has 8 blades, the number of rays will be 8. If a blade has 7 blades, the number of rays will be 14. 20mm has 7 blades, but those 14 rays are not quite visible in this one, not sure why. Also, how many blades does the 14-54 have? From the photograph, it looks like the 14-54 also has 7 blades.

Not sure if this test actually shows how good a starburst will look with a particular lens. My experience with 20mm in this aspect has been really good. For example:

5328981438_d8a3afd471_z.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Veereshai, that looks like a better example from the 20mm for sure. Taking a quick look at the original 3 photos it looks as though the 20mm had a slightly longer exposure which could allow the light to expand and wash out some of the burst effect. Of course since the subject isn't the light but the perfume bottle, the exposure is just about right for the overall scene...you can never have enough dynamic range!