1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cool new toy!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Apr 30, 2011.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    While at WalMart getting LEGOs for my son's birthday, I saw an Eye-Fi 4GB class 6 SD card for $39. Brought it home, installed it, put it in my D-LUX 5 (with grip), and shot away. When I got back to my Mac, the pics were already in the folder on my desktop! I hated having to remove the grip after every shot to plug the SD card into a reader, so this is a cool little toy!

I'd seen it offered for a good while, so thought I'd give it a try.

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.

• Like Like x 1
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice!

How big were the images and any idea how long it took to transfer them ? Is this the one that does RAW or just JPEG ?

Was it over a G or N network.

I need to find an NZ retailer to try one of these out - they sound really handy.

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I bought this specifically for my D-LUX 5 to eliminate having to remove the grip to access the card. I seldom shoot RAW with that camera. It takes about 20 seconds per jpeg in small quantities (all I've tried so far). I doesn't seem to do RAW, but I'll go check the control panel for the app.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    The $39 4GB WalMart card does not do RAW. That version is the 8GB Pro and $149. Not worth that much to me, not even close.

5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I picked up the 8GB Pro X2 SD card and I use it to stream photos (both JPEG and RAW) from my camera to my Samsung Tablet (Android) and then my tablet sends it to my home computer.

It's an amazing system, and while out on a shoot I was able to give the tablet to the "director" who was getting a live stream of the photos on the 7" screen. It worked out really well, and we both benefited from it. I like the smaller tablet because it's small enough to slip into my back pocket and pull out to review photos whenever I need.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    It was considerably more expensive, right?