Cook Having Dinner.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Luger718, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Last week in Chinatown NYC. Taken with an E-PM2 and 25mm PL 1.4

Critique me please!

9694484897_c5f6358b61_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Nice capture of a moment you don't always see (behind the scenes).

You asked for critique:
    I might have been inclined to eliminate the white objects in the foreground, just because the eye always goes to the lightest colour first (either in PPing or by getting a tad closer or reframing the out). Also the slats on the rolldown door and step don't appear to be perfectly horizontal (this could be an optical illusion).

Other than that I found the photo interesting. I wondered what he was looking at and even whether he was trying not to be observed.

3. Roterneylastergen

Roterneylastergen  

Aug 31, 2013
    That is a great pic you have out there..

4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I wouldn't worry about those white pieces of trash in the foreground, as the cook himself is a giant piece of white and I never even noticed them until mazg pointed them out. I would have rotated it slightly though in post just to get the slats level.

5. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I like it a lot. I do agree that it should be straightened a little. I think in a perfect world it should have included more of the restaurant sign to highlight the cook eating outside the restaurant though.

6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I like how he's sitting next to a pile of garbage bags

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder why he chose (if that's the case) to eat out back?

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice composition.

9. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    For me that makes for a good composition - A simple story that makes you wonder what came before or what will happen next.

10. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    I like the concept - a good scene to capture. I'd like to ser a color version as well as the b&w - night shots in colour often have a nice feel to them.

Compositionally, I think you should have taken this from a lower angle - closer to the chef's height. As is you are sort of looking down on him, which breaks the intimacy a little and means there is more less interesting foreground vs. interesting background. This is compounded by putting the chef on the horizontal center line of the image... I agree with the earlier post that more of the sign in the top left corner would improve the balance of the image. So in sum - lower angle, and less foreground, more background, moving the chef off the horizontal center line of the image.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Mu-43 mobile app

11. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions! I will def post more here from now on.