1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cook Having Dinner.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Luger718, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Last week in Chinatown NYC. Taken with an E-PM2 and 25mm PL 1.4

Critique me please!

9694484897_c5f6358b61_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Nice capture of a moment you don't always see (behind the scenes).

You asked for critique:
    I might have been inclined to eliminate the white objects in the foreground, just because the eye always goes to the lightest colour first (either in PPing or by getting a tad closer or reframing the out). Also the slats on the rolldown door and step don't appear to be perfectly horizontal (this could be an optical illusion).

Other than that I found the photo interesting. I wondered what he was looking at and even whether he was trying not to be observed.

3. Roterneylastergen

Roterneylastergen  

Aug 31, 2013
    That is a great pic you have out there..

4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I wouldn't worry about those white pieces of trash in the foreground, as the cook himself is a giant piece of white and I never even noticed them until mazg pointed them out. I would have rotated it slightly though in post just to get the slats level.

5. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I like it a lot. I do agree that it should be straightened a little. I think in a perfect world it should have included more of the restaurant sign to highlight the cook eating outside the restaurant though.

6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I like how he's sitting next to a pile of garbage bags

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder why he chose (if that's the case) to eat out back?

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice composition.

9. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    For me that makes for a good composition - A simple story that makes you wonder what came before or what will happen next.

10. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    I like the concept - a good scene to capture. I'd like to ser a color version as well as the b&w - night shots in colour often have a nice feel to them.

Compositionally, I think you should have taken this from a lower angle - closer to the chef's height. As is you are sort of looking down on him, which breaks the intimacy a little and means there is more less interesting foreground vs. interesting background. This is compounded by putting the chef on the horizontal center line of the image... I agree with the earlier post that more of the sign in the top left corner would improve the balance of the image. So in sum - lower angle, and less foreground, more background, moving the chef off the horizontal center line of the image.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Mu-43 mobile app

11. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions! I will def post more here from now on.