Convinced I was getting a G3/GX1, but ended up with an E-PM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DeoreDX, Mar 18, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    With the really attractive pricing on some of the last gen M43 bodies the temptation to get something to compliment my SLR has been too great to pass up. The reasons I wanted second body were two fold.

1. It would be nice to be a picture or two for a change. So if I had a second body I could pass too the wife maybe I might be in more than 1-2 pictures a year.
    2. I'm pretty sure every SLR owner likes the thought of SLR-like performance in a smaller package.
    3. OK I lied there are three reasons not two. I have a 3 almost 4 year old 12MP Nikon body and I'm looking at upgrading soon. Consider this a first dance with the homely friend before I get the courage to ask the prettiest girl in the class to go steady. If I like what I get out out of my first foray into M43 maybe I will consider dropping the SLR for a E-M5.

Because of the newer tech sensors and long list of features the Panasonic bodies were at the top of my wish list. I was having a hard time deciding between the G3 and the GX1. I read every review I could find. I read every opinion I could find on various forums on the merits of the G3 and the GX1. I was 95% convinced to get the GX1 mainly because of the form factor. I really didn't like the small-SLR style of the G3 so in the end form was going to win over function.

I kept reading comparisons between the Panasonic and Olympus bodies as I was gathering information on the GX1/G3. Most every reviewer and opinion lauded the superior detail, resolution, and high ISO capability of the 16MP Panasonics over the 12MP Olympus bodies and that is pretty tough to ignore. That was one of the main reasons I went into this search looking at the Panasonics and the Olys weren't on the radar in the first place (except for the out of my budget E-M5). But a funny thing happened as I stopped looking at the pixel level detail of the images and I fit them to screen and started looking at the whole image. I found even with lower levels of detail, more noise, more noise lost to noise reduction, etc I still preferred the jpeg output of the Olympus camera over that of the 16MP Panasonics. There were a ton of great shots taken with the G3/GX1, but when samples were make side by side in like conditions, I found my eyes would almost always gravitate towards the Olympus images over the the Panasonic images, technical superiority of the sensor be damned.

A good example of this is the dpreview studio scene picture. When using their tool that zooms around a little 100% crop box the resolving power and detail of the 16mp is easy to see, but I find when viewing the whole image I much prefer the way the Olypmus bodies rendered the scene, even at ISOs as high as 3200,

GX1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews_data/panasonic_dmcgx1/boxshot/p1030065.jpg

E-PM1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews_data/oly_epm1/boxshot/pa051125.jpg

Sowhen I ran across a Cameta auction for a silver E-PM1 for $199 I jumped on it instead. Some of the images on this forum showing pimped out E-PM1's with leather skins and aftermarket grips helped pushed me over the edge. I'm feeling pretty happy with the choice. Spending only $199 I have money left over to pick up one of the cheap prime lenses or maybe if I'm lucky the $199 Sigma bundle if it ever comes back in stock.. Now I just need to figure out how to tell the wife about it before it is delivered tomorrow :smile:

2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Well done! I have one of these which I bought as a companion to my G3 - I regard them very much as different tools for different jobs, and I certainly can't see any basic difference in the output quality (although I always shoot RAW, so the Olympus' jpeg quality is rather lost on me).

I do thoroughly recommend you try the 15mm bodycap lens on it...

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The "older" Oly tech sucked me into mft starting with an E-PL1 and ultimately leading to replacing my two D7000's with an E-M5 and an E-PL5. Watch out, you've started a journey which may accelerate faster than you anticipated, lol!

4. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    $20 Leather Skin
    $11 Flipbac
    $10 Battery
    $24 Fotodiox Nikon to M43

I haven't even gotten the camera yet and it's already cost me $65 and I've just started the outfitting phase :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Oh, man, you are getting a bad case of GAS!

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I really like the E-PM1. Put the 14 on it and it's a wonderful pocket system, especially for the price. When I looked, Cameta had an E-Pm1 with the kit zoom for $199, which is such an amazing deal.

7. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    That's what I got. They went OOS but last week I saw they has a silver on ebay and the black version went back in stock on the web page. I opted for the silver because it is the better looking of the two IMHO :)

I've already discounted getting the old Sigma 19mm because it would look too ugly on the E-PM :redface:

8. redclayhalo

redclayhalo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    I am in the same boat. I was all set to pick up a Sony RX100 for my pocket camera. Just waiting for the price to drop. But the $199 EPM1 deal is almost too good to pass up. I could use it for a year and then pick up the RX100 when the price bottoms out.

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Just showed a friend of mine my E-PM1 yesterday, he order one this morning.

GAS

10. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Wow! Now there's' some serious attitude.

12. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Beautiful setup. Did you put your grip on top of the leather or cut the leather out around it? I was wondering since that grip is a little taller than the leather if there would be a slight gap on the very top part between the grip and the leather skin where the grip doesn't sit on the skin? I was thinking that might big me so I went with the G4 grip instead though I like the look of that grip better. I originally got the silver to skin it and mimic the look of an old Leica but after seeing a bunch of black versions with the different colors leather skins I almost wish I had gotten black instead.

13. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I put the grip on top of the skin and it works great. There is a small gap up top, but it never became an issue. :smile: