1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Convince me to get the Panasonic 12-35mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sprinke, Oct 2, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have a friend coming from Japan in about a month. I could ask him to bring me a 12-35mm. It's running about $925 in US dollars with the current exchange rate. My husband owes me ... he just spent nearly $2000 on HIS hobby, without telling me first ... should I get it?

I have a GH2 and an EPL-2. My current native lens lineup is:

14-140mm
    20mm
    25mm f/1.4
    Oly 45mm f/1.8
    100-300mm

Lately I've been keeping the 25mm on most of the time, but I use the 45mm if I'm shooting portraits, and I use the 14-140mm for day trips when I'm traveling light.

Why do I need the 12-35mm? How would it augment my collection? I'm tempted to dump the 20mm, but I haven't, because, well ... pancake! But I almost never use it.

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Sell the 20mm, you should get about $300?

Now your 12-35mm will only cost $625! You have to get it at that price. Jokes aside, you dont have a wide angle prime so getting the 12-35mm would be a good option IMO.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If you don't know why you should get it, why would you bother? Do you shoot indoor event photography (weddings, other people oriented events), or see a need for weather sealed capability (coupled with the e-m5 or gh3)? If not, do yourself a favor and get a dedicated wide angle lens (9-18mm or 7-14mm) rather than augmenting your 14-140mm.

Otherwise if you enjoy primes the olympus 12mm would be a great addition or the rokinon/samyang 7.5mm fisheye for a new and enjoyable experience.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'd say it fits nicely in your lens lineup - you don't have a wide angle lens (12mm to 14mm is a bigger jump than many people realize), you don't have a smallish "normal" zoom to complement the 14-140mm superzoom, and the fast aperture makes it a versatile lens.

My only complaint with the 12-35mm is I wish it had a little more range; a 12-45 or 12-60mm f/2.8 would be considerably more versatile to me. But I'm willing to deal with the 35mm long end in exchange for the excellent optical performance, fast aperture, and OIS.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Just FYI: I rented the 7-14mm wide-angle for my recent trip to the Grand Canyon, and while it was fun, and very appropriate for that trip, I don't see myself getting that lens or any dedicated wide-angle lens. It's not my style.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    At 900 you can probably sell it for at least even if it isn't your style.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I just received my 12-35mm this weekend (after the price drop and then rebate). For me, the big selling point was weather-sealing, for outdoor activities and landscapes with my E-M5. The appeal over the kit lens, for me, was that the 12-35 may be close or equal to the 12mm, 14mm and 20mm primes in IQ, so I didn't feel like I was giving up much. But again, if it wasn't for the weather-sealing, I would stick with my primes.

8. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    if you don't need it, don't get it. and you can really milk this for a lot of things and for a long time. i know my wife did when I spent something I 'forgot' to mention beforehand. not fun :mad:

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    To be honest, it doesn't sound to me like you *need* the 12-35. But you did ask us to convince you, so here's my $0.02 ...

How often do you use the longer end of the 14-140? You could also sell it and the 20mm, replace them with the 12-35 and either your 100-300 or a mid-range telezoom like the 45-175 or something for a 2-lens day kit that is wider and faster at the wide-normal range.

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I use the long end of the 14-140mm A LOT. I can't see myself giving it up.

I don't NEED to sell any lenses to fund this purchase. I'm just trying to figure out how it would fit in and when I would use it. Wondering what other people use it for. Landscapes? Indoor candids of people?

11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For me, it's just a high quality zoom lens that stays on the camera a lot longer before I break out the prime lenses instead. The 12-35mm narrows the gap considerably between zooms and primes for IQ and low light use. For instance, the 14-140mm is great, but it's pretty much an outdoor, daylight-only lens in my experience.

Prior to the 12-35mm anything indoor or lower light meant switching to prime lenses. Effectively I don't think it's changed what I shoot, just added the convenience of a zoom (well, and OIS which is a nice bonus).

12. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    What Jay said and also it's a surprisingly good close focus lens, you can post crop 100% and get a good macro type image....i.e.

P1010922.

• Like Like x 2
  13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I'll raise your bee and add my own. This is with the 12-35 with a Raynox DCR-250 attached. This is a resized image - the original is 2500 x 2500 pixels.

P1000740-.

14. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, this. If I'm indoors, I typically am taking photos of static subjects. The IS gives me a lens which is effectively faster than the 25mm f1.4 and has the DoF of 2.8 vs 1.4...

Of course, if you have an OM-D, you would have the extra stops with the 25mm but...

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That's about right. I knew, for myself, from both DX and FX use over a number of years, that an f/2.8 lens in this range is going to be extremely useful and will get used a lot. Having said that, if the lens needs "selling" before you buy it, that may be a hint that you don't really need it...and if you don't, this is a pretty expensive lens, even at the current $1100/$900 prices.

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 for jloden

Look at your current pictures, how many are between 12-35mm focal length?

17. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    My main keys are also here. Absolutely no sacrifice in IQ to my primes, the majority of the time I can keep this lens on camera. The extra two mm on the wide end is very nice. Weather-sealing was also a big selling point as I bought the EM-5 body only. I live in the PNW so a rainstorm here and there is unavoidable. I started on this system with only primes and the new convenience is really very nice.

For a street/walk-around lens it's perfect. For a landscape lens it's brilliant, no changing lenses when I've gotten my tripod set-up. Just a touch of zoom and framing is complete. As you can tell I'm a huge fan of this lens after about a month of use. :biggrin:

18. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    If you need to create a thread asking for someone else to convince you to buy this or that, then theres something wrong in there IMHO. If you are asking its because theres something already within you and your shooting experience not ticking with this lens in the first place. therefore do not confuse want with need. I do not need someone else to convince me which lens to buy, i do research about a particular lens and see how good or bad it is then do my own thinking and then decide if its worth or not.

I did bought the P12/35 and actually sold my P14 and P20. just kept the O45 which im seriously thinking of selling. The P12/35 despite the reviews of how expensive the lens is, its just stunning. built, quality, sharpness, AF speed, etc. just great. for me was definitely worth $1K. But again I do need one all around prime and im still figuring out if it was a mistake selling my P20 or if i should get the P25 with all the love that it constantly gets. dont know.

My setup now is Samyang 7.5 (on its way), P12-35, O45, P100-300 and this is looking like my dream setup so far.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I don't think you need this lens really, unless you travel often. I see it as the perfect travel lens. On a recent trip I found constantly switching lenses got pretty inconvenient. And annoying. lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    If you do street and event photography you need this lens. For landscape and nature you need a wider range more than faster lens. With any zoom for landscape you won't want to shoot wide open if it can be helped. Zooms have to be stopped down for their highest resolving power edge to edge. Fast lenses are needed for people and street scenes. I'd lean toward the new 60mm macro before I'd add the 12-35 if mostly shooting nature and landscapes. I'd already have a fisheye and a 12mm prime. Which I do. When I shot FF Canon I always had the 15mm, 17-40, and 70-200 with a 50mm fast lens tossed in for good measure.