Convince me that I need to add this lens.

Stosh

Mu-43 Regular
Guess I just really wanted it, the price was really low, you would snap it up too. Could turn it and make a fast $50 or so. It does come with another Oly camera and lens, which I would have sold, no use for them. The seller is firm on the package deal. Even tho it hasn't sold in 6 months, Oly is not a popular brand here. Overall, the lenses I currently own, do cover all my needs at this point.

JohnJeffrey

Mu-43 Regular
I own the Oly M10 II.
Lenses
25 f1.8
60mm f 2.8
40-150 zoom kit lens

Do I really need to add this lens Oly 45 f1.8 ???
The price is really to good to pass up, especially if I sell the E-PL camera and kit lens it comes with.
Or just buy and try and sell if I find I have no use for?
“Yes!” Or maybe... how many times do you think you’d use it VS using 60mm as a short, sharp tele? I had to have both! I really like the 45mm for speed, traveling, and it’s a really good, prime lens. But, then there is the 12~40mm etc etc! But does it fit in your pocket or carry-all?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Skip it.
If you have to ask others/strangers then you definitely don't need it.
Use the money to save for something you will need down the road.
You can never go wrong by not buying something.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
42.5-45mm (85-90) is a weird focal range in my opinion. It's exceptional for people, portraits, etc. But I find it becomes almost useless for anything else (non-people situations) that could be shot with a 25mm and just getting closer to your subject. I often find myself using the PL25 1.4 eventhough I was planning on using my nocticron.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I had a similar gap between Lumix 20 and Σ 60mm, and I really like those two primes. I found a great deal on a Pentax DA40mm XS, an absurdly skinny thing similar to Olympus' BCL8. It's only f/2.8 but gave me memorable images on Pentax bodies, and is a great gap-filler for my :mu43: kit.
1280px-Pentax_K-01%28White%C3%97Black%29.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_DA_40mm_lens

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I love how they even provided 27mm filter threads. Nice!
It's their original DA Limited, reimagined by artist Marc Newsom. Then the nerds' revenge: add filter threads! :rofl:
More bizarre still, the 40 Limited is designed for APSc but is generous enough to fill a 36x24 sensor. Pentax and Olympus both know how to bend the rules of optics in curious ways!

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Skip it.
If you have to ask others/strangers then you definitely don't need it.
Use the money to save for something you will need down the road.
You can never go wrong by not buying something.

buy lens.jpg

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
That's a VERY funny diagram, @gnarlydog australia - a GAS flow-chart! Did you come up with it yourself by just drawing it now, or is it something you found online? I'm asking just because I'd like to have a higher-resolution version, or perhaps a nicely formatted one (although the hand-drawing does have a certain added amusing feel to it, perhaps). :)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Can you try the lens, to see if the images, focal view, speed, colour suit you. I have just saved myself about £400 by shooting a horse bow for 150 minutes. Not one gold at 30 and 50 metres. Best end had 4 scoring arrows/6. 5 on the target and one in the grass. Make sure that you buy things that work for you.
74041773-B997-4F4C-B837-C4F9F28CEE58.jpeg

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
That's a VERY funny diagram, @gnarlydog australia - a GAS flow-chart! Did you come up with it yourself by just drawing it now, or is it something you found online? I'm asking just because I'd like to have a higher-resolution version, or perhaps a nicely formatted one (although the hand-drawing does have a certain added amusing feel to it, perhaps). :)
hmmm, don't remember exactly where I found it but was funny enough to keep it.
Could possibly have been even here on M4/3 Forums

Real Name
Troy
I own the Oly M10 II.
Lenses
25 f1.8
60mm f 2.8
40-150 zoom kit lens

Do I really need to add this lens Oly 45 f1.8 ???
The price is really to good to pass up, especially if I sell the E-PL camera and kit lens it comes with.
Or just buy and try and sell if I find I have no use for?

Negative Ghostrider!

Forget the 45mm, sell the 60mm and get the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 instead :thumbup:

Stosh

Mu-43 Regular
Update, never did jump on the 45mm. Found the trio of lenses I had works out fine most of the time.
But, kind of miss the 12mm end of the Oly 12-50 ez zoom I had previously. Sold my copy as I don't think it was a good copy.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Update, never did jump on the 45mm. Found the trio of lenses I had works out fine most of the time.
But, kind of miss the 12mm end of the Oly 12-50 ez zoom I had previously. Sold my copy as I don't think it was a good copy.
Well, the 12-50 EZ zoom is not a great lens, although it does work well as a less costly version of an extended kind of standard zoom for video, which it really was designed for, I understand.

If you do miss the 12 mm end, why not get the Oly 12 F/2? It is quite similar in size to the 25 F/1.8, and gives you about 4x the area of view, which makes it a nice addition in your current line-up without duplicating anything.

Kind regards, Wim

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, the 12-50 EZ zoom is not a great lens, although it does work well as a less costly version of an extended kind of standard zoom for video, which it really was designed for, I understand.

Though the 12-50mm EZ is an electronic zoom lens, which along with the Olympus 14-42mm EZ, Panasonic 14-42 PZ, and Panasonic 45-175mm PZ can be zoomed from the phone app if you are using the camera remotely. Note, the lens needs EZ (Olympus) or PZ (Panasonic) to be an electronic zoom lens.

Unfortunately, Olympus and Panasonic released these lenses before their cameras supported remote control and before video became more popular, and people didn't see the point of an electronic zoom lens. So they did make any more electronic zoom lenses.

If your camera is splash proof, the Olympus 12-50mm is one of the cheaper options for a splash proof lens.

If you do miss the 12 mm end, why not get the Oly 12 F/2? It is quite similar in size to the 25 F/1.8, and gives you about 4x the area of view, which makes it a nice addition in your current line-up without duplicating anything.

Kind regards, Wim
IMHO, the Olympus 12mm is fairly expensive. If you are price sensitive and don't need f/2, it might be cheaper to get another 12-50mm lens.

Real Name
Chris
I don't think you need the 45/1.8. The 60/2.8 makes a great portrait lens too if you back up a little more and the 25/1.8 can take some decent portraits too if you are closer.

Stosh

Mu-43 Regular
IMHO, the Olympus 12mm is fairly expensive. If you are price sensitive and don't need f/2, it might be cheaper to get another 12-50mm lens.
Yes, on a budget. The Oly 12mm is out of my price range and having f/2 would be fantastic...settled on another 12-50. Found one in mint shape last night, bought it today. Will arrive in a few days, crossing my fingers its better than my last one.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom