Convince me quick!!!!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TexChappy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    B & H still hasn't shown my X100 as shipped. I'm sore tempted to get a Panny G3 before I return my Oly 45 and Pany 20. This forum and community is great and I hate to leave it. Nudge me over the edge quick while I can still change my order!!!!

Waiting by the phone,
    Tony

2. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    BTW, I probably could afford to go ahead and get the Panny G3 outright and not have the wife kill me.

3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Do it.

Enough?

4. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    You have two great lenses, why give them up? Get the G3.

5. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Just a little more. Nudge, nudge. Why should I do it? (won't take much)

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    As Ritualnet said, you have two great lenses - and the G3 is good value. Not much to lose really and everything to gain.

7. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Oh man you don't need convincing, you're already convinced. Just go buy it, and enjoy. :)

Another thought, is maybe instead, pick up a G1 or G2 second hand, either from here or somewhere. You get the benefit of the G range, you use your lenses, and it costs less? Means you can upgrade to the G3 later on, when the G5 comes out, and you still save money.

8. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Plus, not being killed by your wife is probably going to help your picture taking.

9. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Why didnt you get the gx1 from amazon on sale?

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

The X100 is a great camera, but it seems like it is going in the opposite direction of your requirements. In my opinion, this camera is going to take more time than the E-M5 to come up to speed with, and I don't think it is a good camera to hand over to the spouse (assume non-interested in photography). It is not like with the Panasonic and Olympus bodies, where you could simply switch it over to iAuto with face detection.

Plus, as others have said before, it focuses accurately, but is going to be slow enough to be a challenge to for kid snapshot type stuff.

Whatever you do get, hope you have more than 7 days to get comfortable with the new gear.

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    +1. I had the same thoughts about the X100 not seeming to be the best fit.

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I would say go for it if you already have the lenses anyway and you were enjoying your short foray into m4/3.

The G3 can be found used for $350 easily (heck, I'm selling one right now for $340 on ebay myself. Got the GX1 on sale from amazon, so I'm selling one of my dual G3 bodies). It's a great bargain for a fantastic camera, largely because of all the hubbub over the OM-D. Everything I've seen leads me to believe it's easily competitive with the OM-D's sensor for IQ at almost a third the cost, which is why I've held off getting an OM-D for the time being.

13. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Did it. Ordered it from B @ H but didn’t get nearly the deal’s your mentioning. I like Amazon but they charge sales tax in Kansas so it makes it not so much of a deal.

I don’t think I got to the X100 in time, they were closed when I called. I do have 30 days to try it out but I’m thinking I may be kind and not open the box (at least until I’ve really tried out the G3). If I had I probably would have ordered the a PL25 or a longer zoom with the camera.

Think I ought to try and email them tonight or call in the morning. Been a long time since I dealt with B & H.

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. Just go for G3 or OMD again . Fuji is like a bike and you need a SUV .I will be never happy with a fixed lens camera . I have no idea how much time u did actually spend in learning about OMD rather than quitting and calling it a dud technology piece. Fuji X10o will very slow to focus on ur running kids.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah the price of a G3 is pretty insignificant right now..just give in. ;)

16. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I’m not sure just how bad I could have read the manual to get pictures as badly out of focus as I was managing. Plus I was running into the local stores return policy.

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Guessing you got the kit zoom? I think that will come in handy... a nice little zoom with stabilization for video, etc.

18. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I had an X100, and it is a great camera. However, if you thought the EM-5 was slow, you will not be happy with the X100. The autofocus is a lot quicker than it used to be with the firmware updates, but it is still slow compared to the EM-5. The X100 takes beautiful pictures, but it is a quirky camera. I also found the single focal length sort of limiting.

Having said all that, I think you would be happy with it so long as it is a secondary camera

• Like Like x 1
  19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    All true, I would not want the X100 to be my only camera (based on my experience with mine so far) and I definitely think it loses out as a "loan to the spouse" camera compared to a G3 with its iAuto mode (flip the screen around to the back, put the 20mm on it and it's almost a snapshot P&S with excellent IQ).

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Do it...