1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Convince me of the 14-140mm Panny

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MegaPixelTravel, May 28, 2011.

1. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I'm getting a GH2 for mainly video work (replacing a D90) and travel photography (where I tend to shot wide angle 90% of the time of buildings and landscapes).

I'm wondering if I should get it with the Kit Lens 14-140mm. I'm told its a good lens, but for me it seems very slow and I wondering if its worth the price (~$700 as a kit, vs $900 without).

My Expected Set-up of lenses will be Panny Pancake 20mm f1.7, 14-140mm?+ Nikon Lenses (Mainly 28-80, 80-200 f2.8 zoom glass + Primes at f1.2-1.8 range from 16mm to 58mm).

So I have the range mainly covered (14-20mm is a bit less so).
    So my question to you guys is do you use the 14-140mm a lot in shooting because it fully functional with the camera or do you tend to leave it for better glass and manual controls?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Holy cow that's a lot of large, heavy glass to carry around as a "travel" photographer.

Personally, the kind of travel photography I do, AF and small, light lenses are huge advantages. I carry the 20/1.7, PL45/2.8, 45-200, 8mm fisheye, and PL14-50 f/2.5 (with adapter) for my GF1, so I'm covered from 28 - 400 mm equivalent, all in very good to exceptional image quality (maybe only "good" out past 200mm equiv).

That said, there are indeed not currently a lot of bright lenses in the native stable, and I do see that as an issue.

So, I guess in the end, it comes down to exactly what situations do you find yourself in. It sounds like you're OK with having to change lenses, so maybe a super zoom isn't necessary. Of course, at the kit price discount, you probably stand to make your money back if you decide you don't want it.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yup that is a lot of glass! Don't forget that the 14-140 has Mega OIS, which is worth 2+ stops of stability.

My travel kit is shaping up as follows:
    GH2 + Panny 100-300
    GH1 + Panny 14-140
    20 F1.7

At some point I hope to add either the Panny 7-14 or Oly 9-18, giving me massive coverage (14-600 35mm EQ) plus good low light! While this is a pretty big M43 kit, it's tiny compared to an equivalent dSLR setup.

4. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    If you like shooting wide, why not add a Panny 7—14? It is an amazing WA lens. I've found the 7—14 + the 20 are the most often used lenses in my collection.

5. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    I'm finding the 7-14mm a tad expensive to be honest. I would rather spend the money on a 8mm Peleng for Nikon (use a N to MFT adapter) @ ~$350 then +$1000 or +$2000 for the oly. Honest to god, spending more than $250 for a lens is almost unheard for me.

For Travel (not for a photography purpose like my African Photo Safari last year). I would ideally take...

GH2
    20mm f/1.7
    Either the 14-140 (Panny) or 12-24 (Nikon)

Last Time in Europe I took a D80, 50mm, 12-24, and 180mm and used the 12-24 99.99% of the time with the 50mm f.18 three times when it was too dark for 1/10th shutter @f4 (the slowest I can go handheld).

6. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    The 14-140 was made by Panasonic specifically for video or so they claim. It's a very quite focussing lens and allows for continuous AF (hence the made for video designation). This lens also covers the widest focal range of any native m43 lens other than the UW zoom but it ain't a very fast lens. If you shoot a lot of video then you may want this lens. Otherwise there are lots of other lenses out there that are able do the same job (but not the 10X zoom).

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 9-18 and 8 fisheye are both tiny tiny lenses. The 7-14 is small, but considerably bigger than either.

As for price .... There is always the used market. As reviews come out claiming the 45/2.8 is overpriced more and more come available used and take care of the problem, allowing you to pick up this phenomenal lens at about $600, which, in native lens terms, is actually one of the best "image quality per dollar" lenses out there

Since the 7-14 gets such good reviews (despite image quality similar to the 45/2.8 and an even higher price) they seem to rarely come up for sale used, though.

Personally, I am waiting with baited breath for the rumored bright zoom

8. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can hear the 20 focusing when you shoot video with it. If you're doing something else for audio then you may be all right but if you 're recording the audio with the camera it won't work.

9. Define very slow. There is no such thing as a fast superzoom, and the Panny is in the ballpark for this class of lens. I like mine at wide angle, less so at telephoto. A 14-100 or even 14-70 would have suited me fine, especially if it made the lens smaller or lighter. The focus is very quick.

BTW, as an aside, I don't agree with the assertion that a camera kit for travelling should be as minimal as possible. I take more gear with me travelling than I would ever carry around at one time at home. If you're happy to carry it for the results it will give then it is worth bringing along, whether it's a GF2 or 5D.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately, in today's world of limited carry on and charges for checked baggage, size and weight limitations of your gear are being forced on you by the airlines (at least in the US).

I have much better things to spend money on than baggage quantity/weight charges.

11. I have claimed my toploader camera bag with 50D + 24-105 as my "handbag" in addition to my carry-on backpack. Haven't had a problem yet, but if there is my response will likely be, "well, you just let her on with two bags..."

If not, it gets added to the check-in luggage in order of least used equipment (insured of course)

12. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    For traveling it's not the airline restrictions, as I've been know to have several "holy shit" moments at security when my rucsack with 2 Nikon pro bodies and 5 large telephotos and zooms, an iPad, a iPod two external hard drives and all the battery charges and wires go through the x-ray machine...

But depending on where I travel and what kind of pictures and how much walking/biking I'm doing, a small discrete camera is a major advantage.

13. So are you gunna get the 14-140mm?

14. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The 7-14 is a couple of hundred dollars more than the 14-140 but it sounds like it covers the focal lengths that you use most often.

So, if it's a choice between a $700 lens that you might not use that much versus a $900 lens that you'll probably use a lot, the smart money suggests that the more expensive lens is the right choice.

15. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    I agree with John Flores here - while the 7-14 might be more than you're looking to spend, it does seem to fall in line with your preferred FOV. for landscapes and architecture, it's a fantastic option.

I shoot feature films for a living and use a 5Dmk2 and the GH2 for snaps and video. personally, I prefer primes when shooting video, usually MF, and the faster the glass the better (the CV 25/.95 is a great video lens on a GH2). it sounds like you already have most of the critical focal lengths covered with your nikon glass so I'd suggest sticking with that. myself, I never really liked the IQ of the 14-140 or it's speed for video, but your results may vary.

and I'm sure you already know this, but with the m4/3 2X crop factor, the 14-140 will most likely end up offering you a lot more on the long end than you'll really use (at least from I gather as your preferred focal lengths).

Andrew.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with this. I very much dislike superzooms, but this lens is perfect as a video lens. m.Zuiko lenses from Olympus also have some with what they call the "MSC" designation (Movie and Still Compatible), which is also silent focus for video. They also tend to be quite fast focusing lenses on :43: bodies as well as good for focus tracking.

Although I prefer to shoot video with an external microphone, I still kept my m.Zuiko 14-42mm MSC lens from the E-PL2 for this reason, to use as a smooth video lens when I need it. Otherwise, I normally wouldn't keep a lens that "average" in my collection.

17. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Funny you should mention that - I purchased the GH2 with the 14-140 ostensibly for shooting video, but I haven't shot any video with it. Most of the time I've used a manual, fast primes. They provide more DOF, and I'm typically locked down on a tripod so the zoom doesn't offer any real benefits.

18. lwd

lwd New to Mu-43

May 14, 2011
    I just bought the GH2 with the 14-140 as a kit plus 20/1.7 and oly 9-18. In decent light the 14-140 is really good and I'm enjoying it much more than I was expecting. Oly is amazingly compact.

19. MegaPixelTravel

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    So i finally got my hands on the 14—140 to give it a try. Initial impression, en... Not so crazy about it. So I just went with the GH2 and will get a 20mm for it and use my nikons lens.

To be fair I also had a chance to use a 20mm and the images from that were like wow and it's so easy to use.