1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Converting from DSLR to Micro 4/3!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ehernandezrn, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Hi all.

I'm a photo enthusiast converting from Canon DSLRs to Micro 4/3s because of portability. I'm enthralled by the Olympus OM-D E-M5, but it's not in my budget, so the E-P3 is the choice. Too bad the one I purchased from a fellow forum member went missing in transit, so I'm trolling the forums for another. Good luck to me! Thanks in advance for all the useful info I've found on here!

Cheers!
    Edel

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome aboard. I've gone from Canon DSLRs to m4/3s and back a few times now. Hopefully you've made a more decisive move!

You may want to post a Wanted To Buy thread in the Buy/Sell section, though I think there are some E-P3s for sale now.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I wonder if it would be worth while to spring for the EPM2...

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Edel!

I think you'll find a number of former DSLR users here (I'm one of 'em, sold my D300 Nikon & gear, acquired an E-PL1 and OM-D EM-5 and haven't looked back.

Regards,

Jim

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum - the E-P3 is a great choice! :thumbup:

6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome to the forum... I am also new... Look for deals on Amazon for refurbished bodies... That's what I did and got a deal on a E-PL1 and then looked here for used lenses. I also had issues with USPS and my Pentax - M43 adaptor. It is still missing. I am giving it a day or two more before I ask the seller (from ebay) for a refund.

Good luck!

7. MikeinAlexandria

MikeinAlexandria Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2012
    Welcome.
    I did the same, but went with the OMD-EM5 and a PEN mini E-PM1. I sold the last of my four thirds equipment this week on EBay, and actually made enough extra cash for some goodies. Found a $25 BMW Motorrad fanny pack that holds the E-PM1 with three primes for ski touring/hiking, etc.

With Olympus finally releasing high grade, metal bodied lenses, u4/3 made sense. The OMD is fantastic as a semi-pro camera (25mm Leica is on there alot) for me with low light handling, etc. The E-PM1 sporting the Panasonic 20mm is my point and shoot. I bought the Japan-Only brown leather strap and body case, and they are beautifully finished and make the tiny camera look very retro. It is great for street shots, etc.

Now we just need some fast telephoto glass for wild life stuff and I am good. I saved my 4/3 50-200 SWD lens, and it takes very good shots with the OMD on a tripod, but it sure is heavy and focus is a little slow. Still, it can totally work for birding now in marshes where they tend to be just chilling out.

8. pykers

pykers Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Welcome!

I did the same thing just a few months ago. I sold all of my Canon gear for an OM-D, 14mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 45mm. I haven't regretted it for a second!

9. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Thanks for the greeting demiro! I watch Craigslist, eBay, and the forums closely to find the best deal possible. My partner is tired of my constant 'net trolling so she offered to pay half for an OM-D, so now I'm trolling for a good deal on one of those!

10. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Thanks for the greeting, Jim! I might actually find myself an OM-D soon since my better half is willing to put up half the funds for one! Cheers!

11. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Hi Edward! Sorry to hear about your adaptor. I've been waiting for an E-P3 from eBay (but purchased from a forum member) for over 2 weeks now. I just escalated my case and I'm hoping that I get a full refund soon so I can fund an OM-D. Good luck and hope the adaptor issue gets resolved soon!

12. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate the helpful input!!! Cheers!

13. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

I loved my Canon gear and I, too, liquidated everything to start anew. I'm still up in the air between the E-P3 and OM-D though. If I find a good enough deal on an OM-D kit, I might just go that route instead of trying to upgrade again later down the line. Thanks for posting!

14. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    Do it, do it, do it!

One of the best things I've done for myself in years is to move out of the dslr world. Like a lot of folks, I found having an big awesome camera at home is of no use when I'm out on the road. Now my only problem is parting with the last two lenses. I fell in love with the my Tokina 11-16. It's a bit too much on the OM-D and I don't get the curvature I like on the short end, but dang I just can't seem to let it go.. Maybe I could get motivated to list it if I could settle on what MFT lens I can turn the Tokina funds into.

Don't walk, run to your nearst shop and get your new Oly.

15. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Bloody hilarious! Thanks for the early morning laugh. I'm always out for a deal, so definitely not running to my LCS, instead holding out until next week for possible Black Friday deals! Cheers!

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Moving from a dSLR, I think you'd be much much happier with the OM-D. There is a significant difference in handling between an EVF and LCD. Purchasing an EVF for the E-P3 will put you in about the same ballpark money-wise as the OM-D. Even if it takes a bit more time, go for the OM-D, all the little extras of the OM-D (the FPS, the grip, the weather sealing, the EVF, the sensor, et al) will all make you happier and make it easier to capture the exceptional image with greater consistency.

Gary

17. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Hey Gary. Thanks so much for the input! I'm sitting here pondering over my options and I just needed exactly what you wrote to solidify my decision. At this point, $ isn't the issue. I was just trying to narrow down the reasons for spending the extra $ and justify if I really needed them. I'm not fond of what I'm hearing about the kit lens, so I'd be spending a bit more since I'm fond of primes. I'm thinking to start with the Panasonic 20mm. Thoughts?

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Starter Prime Lenses that I own:
    The P20mm is a very good lens. Very sharp, some complain that it is slow to focus and it's a pancake, making a small package even smaller. You really can't go wrong with the 20mm. If you're a prime user, the 20mm will set you down a certain wide angle path that you may not want to go down. The P14mm is another very good pancake, very sharp and also very inexpensive (you get a lot more lens than you're paying for.) But it is a tad slow at f/2.5. The Panasonic-Leica 25mm, is a big lens with a big lens hood (especially when compared to the pancakes). I have experienced absolutely no complaints/flaws with this lens. It is sharp, it focuses fast, wonderful bohek all wrapped up with this Leica rendering (a touch of 3D with a bit of super creamy bokeh).

The P20 and the P14 sorta cancels each other out as a potential for your next lens because the FOV for these lenses is very close, only a step or two difference between these lenses. Same-o for the PL25 and P20. The PL25 works well with the P14 and the O12 and the P20 works well with the O12.

Lenses I haven't used:
    It pretty much depends on what and how you shoot (and of course deposable income). Oly is introducing a 17mm f/1.8 which will create another path for your next lens. Voigtlander Nokton has a 17.5 mm f/0.95 which, while is considered an exceptional lens IQ wise, costs a lot of money for a manual focus lens.

The good thing about the P20, is that even if you later pick up the PL25, the P20 is still useful and has value as a pancake.

If you're in LA I can let you play with some of this stuff.

Gary

19. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

20. ehernandezrn

ehernandezrn Guest

Hey Gary! Thanks for that summary. I'm scanning everywhere for a deal today on a preowned 20mm. I decided I would start with that and the kit lens for now. I'll actually be in the LA area from December 6-9, so I might just take you up on the offer to checkout your lenses!

Cheers!