agbfoto

Mu-43 Regular
Some images taken last year with the Olympus Circular Polarizer coupled to a Sunpak DX8R Ringflash (EPL5 + 60mm F2.8)
0020170414-P4144117.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
0020170414-P4144169.jpg
0020170414-P4144191.jpg

Alex

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Some images taken last year with the Olympus Circular Polarizer coupled to a Sunpak DX8R Ringflash (EPL5 + 60mm F2.8)
Nice! Lovely, even light that some folks claim is impossible with a ring light.

I can see the 60/2.8 stepped up from 46mm to 49mm to look through the centre of the x-polarizer, but was it much trouble to get the Sunpak to fire through the outer ring?

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I have one up for sale. Not sure if I will regret selling it or not. Depends what you think a reasonable price is. It's in the for sale section
Thanks for thinking of me. If it's in excellent shape, it should easily be worth $700, but I just won one that claims to be "MINT" on evilBay for $630. I suspect it went so cheap because the seller has a dicey reputation of only 94%. We'll see if it arrives okay, and if it really is "MINT."

As for regretting selling it, hope you don't! But if you like the odd-ball and the unique, you may.

I wouldn't be re-buying it if it weren't for focal reducers/speed boosters. An equivalent 42mm ƒ2? Meh. But a 15mm ƒ1.4 is something else indeed! It also has a "floating element group" for close focusing, of which Olympus was a pioneer In The Day. I have used it on extension tubes to better than 1:1 with good results. I'm planning to use it for focus-stacking "macro landscapes" from millimetres to infinity.

Some of your other stuff is tempting, although I've blown my "honeydew" budget for the foreseeable future. The 50/1.2 becomes a 35mm ƒ0.8 on a speed booster! And you'll pry my 90mm ƒ2 macro from my cold, dead hands. The only one on your list that I would not regret selling would be the 35/2.

Yea… could be plenty of regrets there… hope you get something wonderful with the proceeds!

siftu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
siftu
Thanks for thinking of me. If it's in excellent shape, it should easily be worth $700, but I just won one that claims to be "MINT" on evilBay for $630. I suspect it went so cheap because the seller has a dicey reputation of only 94%. We'll see if it arrives okay, and if it really is "MINT."

As for regretting selling it, hope you don't! But if you like the odd-ball and the unique, you may.

I wouldn't be re-buying it if it weren't for focal reducers/speed boosters. An equivalent 42mm ƒ2? Meh. But a 15mm ƒ1.4 is something else indeed! It also has a "floating element group" for close focusing, of which Olympus was a pioneer In The Day. I have used it on extension tubes to better than 1:1 with good results. I'm planning to use it for focus-stacking "macro landscapes" from millimetres to infinity.

Some of your other stuff is tempting, although I've blown my "honeydew" budget for the foreseeable future. The 50/1.2 becomes a 35mm ƒ0.8 on a speed booster! And you'll pry my 90mm ƒ2 macro from my cold, dead hands. The only one on your list that I would not regret selling would be the 35/2.

Yea… could be plenty of regrets there… hope you get something wonderful with the proceeds!

You are totally right with the 35mm f2.0, and it's priced as such. The rest are absolute gems.. I keep flip flopping if I would keep them or not.

I haven't ever tried a focal reducer on m43, whats the best bang for buck one?. I kind of feel I would be better off with an aps-c cam for that, but none take my fancy. I want a cross between a Fuji and a Sony. Then again the m43 would still crop the corners which may be good.. Sigh I should use these more. I do use them on my OM4T but I'm not shooting 35mm so much.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I haven't ever tried a focal reducer on m43, whats the best bang for buck one?. I kind of feel I would be better off with an aps-c cam for that, but none take my fancy. I want a cross between a Fuji and a Sony. Then again the m43 would still crop the corners which may be good.
You're missing out!

Everyone praises the Metabones, but I find the Kipon Baveyes Ultra to be pretty adequate for nearly 1/5th the price. I think it's dropped to $135 on Adorama; I paid $150.

Whatever you do, don't go for the garbage that is floating around for under $100! Save a bundle and get an old skylight filter and a jar of Vasoline™ instead. :)

I find no "cropping [of the] corners" with the speed boosters I've used.

Here is a comparison I did with a Fotodiox ~$70 reducer and the Kipon Baveyes.

Here is an image with the Olympus OM 55mm ƒ1.2 and the Kipon Baveyes.

Joost van der Waa

New to Mu-43
Great to see a discussion on the T10 Flash with its pola filter.
I also noticed the discussion on the slide copier somewhere in between. I tried to find a solution for that too: combining the auto bellows & slide copier with my E-M5-II. I ended up in creating my own slider for the E-M5: Olympus auto bellows slider for OM-D camera's by jvdwaa
It consists of the body with a 12-50 macro lens, a step down ring from 52 to 49 + UV filter (needed to attach the bellows) and a FL50 (the FL32 was too slow in recharging).

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_115958791.jpg
    IMG_20181027_115958791.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 245

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I designed my own adapters for the RF11, see https://www.thingiverse.com/jvdwaa/designs.
Nice adapter!

The RF-11 fiasco nearly soured me to Olympus macro. Requires the big, expensive adapter for the 50/2 macro, works with the 1st generation 50-200, but not with the 2nd gen one, etc.

The sweet one, in my opinion, is the T-8. Those reflectors make wonderful, low-contrast light!

Latest threads

Top Bottom