Convert your .ORF files to .Jpg with Android app DCraw Mobile

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
How to convert your *.ORF files to *.Jpg
with Android app DCraw Mobile

Continuing the discussion in an old thread about conversion of .ORF files, in this post:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/show-your-cell-phone-photos.12805/post-1364166

I've found this app on Android Play, when searching for a way to convert files from the Minolta RD-175 to something readable.

The solution in the older thread was to first convert the .ORF to .DNG to then be able to work with the file in Snapseed on your Android device.

Screenshot from the app:

Screenshot_20200812-192719.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you can see, there are a lot of settings to try in the app.

It has converted several other formats for me, besides .ORF.

The output files are saved in the Pictures folder on your device.

Here's two converted pictures from two different camera versions of .ORF files.

PEN20143_DCRAW-01.jpeg

_PL12700_DCRAW-01.jpeg

I'm hoping that this will be of interest/use to someone!

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As mentioned, I've converted several other formats with the help of this app:

Nikon D70 NEF
Lumix DMC-GF5 RW2
Olympus E-PL1 ORF
Olympus E-PM1 ORF
Olympus E-M1 ORF
Sony A230 ARW
Sony A290 ARW
Samsung NX300 SRW
Pentax K-100D PEF

I didn't try out the DNG files from my newer Pentaxes. There's no real point to that, as Snapseed reads DNG files directly.

The difficulties you might experience lies in the fact that you have no visual support in the app to what your end result will be like. But as far as I can tell, the result will be pretty close to the standard Jpeg output from your camera.

Below, some converted pictures from several different cameras, using the default settings from the app, with two changes.

I've changed the Colour space from sRGB to Adobe RGB. I also raised the JPEG quality to 100% from the default 90%.

_1000027_DCRAW-01.jpeg
_1000035_DCRAW-01.jpeg
_1000038_DCRAW-01.jpeg
_DSC2279_DCRAW-01.jpeg
_PL12700_DCRAW-01.jpeg
_PL12975_DCRAW-01.jpeg
DSC_0323_DCRAW-01.jpeg
DSC_0391_DCRAW-01.jpeg
DSC_0400_DCRAW-01.jpeg
DSC_0409_DCRAW-01.jpeg
IMGP2934_DCRAW-01.jpeg
P6050035_DCRAW-01.jpeg
PEN00299_DCRAW-01.jpeg
PEN00300_DCRAW-01.jpeg

And, all of the pictures have received my favourite frame in Snapseed, one has been cropped, but besides that, no editing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the EXIF will be zeroed out.

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
The difficulties you might experience lies in the fact that you have no visual support in the app to what your end result will be like. But as far as I can tell, the result will be pretty close to the standard Jpeg output from your camera.
Well, it's not any worse in that regard than the original command line version. :D I never really managed to get anything with a similar contrast curve to Olympus processing out of dcraw, but to be fair, I never tried all that hard. I've generally used it more for getting simple "camera linear" raster images for use by other software.
I've changed the Colour space from sRGB to Adobe RGB.
Just FYI, last time I checked there were still browsers around that don't handle this correctly, although hopefully that's becoming uncommon by now...

Also, although the source code isn't available, the author does provide links to APKs for anybody who doesn't do the google thing: http://www.huefirst.com/

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Well, it's not any worse in that regard than the original command line version. :D I never really managed to get anything with a similar contrast curve to Olympus processing out of dcraw, but to be fair, I never tried all that hard. I've generally used it more for getting simple "camera linear" raster images for use by other software.

Just FYI, last time I checked there were still browsers around that don't handle this correctly, although hopefully that's becoming uncommon by now...

Also, although the source code isn't available, the author does provide links to APKs for anybody who doesn't do the google thing: http://www.huefirst.com/
There's a GUI shell available if you run Linux.
I suppose you could always try that.

And the C source is available from:

https://github.com/alexvonduar/dcraw/blob/master/dcraw.c

although that is a little beside the point, considering the fact that I was continuing an exchange which started out in the thread "Show your cell phone photos" that my link at the beginning of the post points to, in response to this question by @NIlaga:

Does Oly raw file work for you with Snapseed? I can't seem to open one on mine hence I'm forced to use Photoshop Express.

And, as far as I can tell, Chrome, which is the "default" Android browser, seems perfectly capable to handle AdobeRGB.

Considering the output from the app, my point wasn't as thoroughly thought through as yours, but only based on the fact that I think the output looks pretty much the same as the different cameras outputs their respective Jpeg files in the standard setting. That is, no "Vivid" setting or the like.

But then, I was getting a median impression from only about nine different camera RAW formats, only three of which comes out of Olympus cameras.

I'm not really sure what you mean with: "anybody who doesn't do the google thing", though I'm sure you would explain it to me if I asked nicely. I'm just thinking that most people would be be feeling better installing this app from Google Play, instead of getting it from the page you linked to. Which they probably would have to do a Google search to find anyway...

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
There's a GUI shell available if you run Linux.
Right, but there are better things for that nowadays. :D
And the C source is available from: https://github.com/alexvonduar/dcraw/blob/master/dcraw.c
Sorry for being unclear... I meant the source code for the android app, which, if available, would mean the app could probably be included in repositories like f-droid (although maybe without the Fujifilm support, if I understand the license correctly, which I may not)... but you're right, that's all probably off-topic for the purpose of the thread, sorry.
And, as far as I can tell, Chrome, which is the "default" Android browser, seems perfectly capable to handle AdobeRGB.
Yep, and firefox does, too... but you never know how pictures on the web are being viewed... there are people who still use IE! But regardless, if the app's being used to produce an intermediate file for further editing, the larger color space definitely makes sense.
I'm just thinking that most people would be be feeling better installing this app from Google Play, instead of getting it from the page you linked to.
I'm sure you're right about most people, but there are some people who don't have google accounts linked to their phones, and therefore can't use the Play store... that's all. Sorry for the digressions.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Right, but there are better things for that nowadays. :D

Sorry for being unclear... I meant the source code for the android app, which, if available, would mean the app could probably be included in repositories like f-droid (although maybe without the Fujifilm support, if I understand the license correctly, which I may not)... but you're right, that's all probably off-topic for the purpose of the thread, sorry.

Yep, and firefox does, too... but you never know how pictures on the web are being viewed... there are people who still use IE! But regardless, if the app's being used to produce an intermediate file for further editing, the larger color space definitely makes sense.

I'm sure you're right about most people, but there are some people who don't have google accounts linked to their phones, and therefore can't use the Play store... that's all. Sorry for the digressions.
Thanks for replying and clarifying what you meant!

About the source code for the Android app:
if you really want to, unzip the app and decompile it. Shouldn't be impossible for you.

About browsers: yes, people (not many, I'm sure), myself included, still use IE11. Mainly because I hate Edge, and want to see how far I can push IE. But then I don't think it is my obligation to keep my posted pictures backward compatibility for longer than my intended audience's browsing tools.

Examples of this reasoning are abundant all over the internet, which you must know.

About colour space: the whole point of my starting the thread was to help people get their .ORF files into Snapseed. For continued editing.

About people with no Google accounts linked to their devices: I'm sure you are aware that to stop Google from tracking you, you have to root your device, to be able to completely remove everything Google. In particular Play Services, which I personally think shows what I deem to be suspiciously virus like behaviour.

Therefore, I'd advise users of this forum with similar concerns as you have, but who still would like to download the app from Google Play, to make a "fake" Google account, where they lie about everything, and then turn off location tracking.

Also go through all settings, of all your installed apps, to turn off all instances of data collection available to you through Settings.

Additionally, using a good, configurable, fire wall will help you keeping traffic in and out of your device to be only of the kind you deem to be in your own interest, as contrasted to advertising and other annoying use of your bandwidth.

If this is out of reach for the hypothetical users you were referring to, they're welcome to PM me to get a copy of the APK on their (anonymous?) mail.

But, of course, using email would introduce a new layer of security related concerns, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
I wasn't really trying to go there, but I'll give it one more try:
About the source code for the Android app:
if you really want to, unzip the app and decompile it. Shouldn't be impossible.
I don't, it's just a wrapper around the very familiar dcraw.c code. Decompiling it doesn't make it FOSS for the purpose of other repositories being able to distribute reproducible builds of it, which is what I was suggesting might be nice, but it really isn't that important.
About people with no Google accounts linked to their devices: I'm sure you are aware that to stop Google from tracking you, you have to root your device, to be able to completely remove everything Google. In particular Play Services, which I personally think shows what I deem to be suspiciously virus like behaviour.
My motivation isn't to avoid being "tracked" (whatever that means to anybody at this late date), I just like to pretend that it's still possible for some things to happen independent of the blessings of a single all-powerful corporate entity... even if it's no longer the case for all practical purposes. :rolleyes:
Therefore, I'd advise users of this forum with similar concerns as you have, but who still would like to download the app from Google Play, to make a "fake" Google account, where they lie about everything, and then turn off location tracking. Also go through all settings, of all your installed apps, to turn off all instances of data collection available to you through Settings.
If I have any "concerns" here, they have more to do with monocultures and related pitfalls generally. I provided the link to the home page because, well... the author went to the trouble to put it there, and it's nice to recognize that the "home" for a software project isn't necessarily the Play store
If this is out of reach for you
Thanks, it's not... but it's not a discussion I was trying to instigate here. Cheers!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I wasn't really trying to go there, but I'll give it one more try:

I don't, it's just a wrapper around the very familiar dcraw.c code. Decompiling it doesn't make it FOSS for the purpose of other repositories being able to distribute reproducible builds of it, which is what I was suggesting might be nice, but it really isn't that important.

My motivation isn't to avoid being "tracked" (whatever that means to anybody at this late date), I just like to pretend that it's still possible for some things to happen independent of the blessings of a single all-powerful corporate entity... even if it's no longer the case for all practical purposes. :rolleyes:

If I have any "concerns" here, they have more to do with monocultures and related pitfalls generally. I provided the link to the home page because, well... the author went to the trouble to put it there, and it's nice to recognize that the "home" for a software project isn't necessarily the Play store

Thanks, it's not... but it's not a discussion I was trying to instigate here. Cheers!
Then, we're good. And, also, I hope, finished with this exchange. As you correctly said earlier, it's off topic, and really not what I was looking for when starting the thread.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom