Controlling the little DMW-FL70-K flash on a GX8

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I'm trying to set up the little GM series flash, the tiny DMW-FL70-K, to use with the GX8 in the field when I need a little extra light with some insects (particularly spiders this time of year as they start to emerge). I'm struggling to find a way to alter the power of it though. I'd like to get it to work because, (A) I already have it, (B) it needs no batteries, and (C) because it's so tiny I can put it in a shirt pocket and not worry about it. I may get something else in the future.....

Has anyone used this flash with any camera apart from the GM series? Any tips or tricks? All info much appreciated in advance, as always.

haunted scrap heap
I can't answer your question, but I will say that I spent some time early on going to somewhat extreme lengths to make use of the similar Olympus FL-LM1... but even then the pops tended to drain camera battery faster than I liked... YMMV. :D

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
As far as I know the FL70 isn't going to work with your GX8. This was a tiny flash that was specifically sourced for the GM series cameras.
"If" it manages to get power from the camera, I don't think the TTL data is even compatible.

Following.
I have GM-1 and this tiny thing that came with lot buys that I do. GM-1 does not have a flash shoe. Was this unit only for GM-5? I wanted to use it on EM1.2 / EM5.2 as tiny trigger to FL-600R but the pins don't match so its just sitting in the bag. Would be great if there is any hack!

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
The flash does work with the GX8, but only at 250 sync max. And, of course, I have not found a way to alter the power of it.

Thanks for the comments, and here's hoping someone else may have an answer..... :D

@Sleepy Capybara - not sure it can act as a radio
trigger, I do not think it has any features like that.... sorry :(

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I think DMW-FL70 is the standard flash for LX100.

It definitely works on GX85 and even acts as a wireless controller.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Sorry, I no longer have it and I never really used it outside of some experimenting to confirm that it's compatible.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
F-LM3 on my GX85 - works wonderfully. I can alter power in a couple of ways. I think the standard way the camera ships allows you to push the Rear Wheel to get flash exposure compensation. And if you turn on the wireless flash mode on the camera, you can get to a menu that even allows you to put it in Manual mode and specify power level.

Love that little flash.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
The built-in flash can’t act as a wireless flash controller.
Yes, both more powerful AND it has a tilt and bounce head - allowing you to put the light where you want it. It ALSO acts as a Master for optically slaved units; AND it can be put in Manual mode for consistent exposures. Lovely little unit that fits in a shirt pocket easily.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Yes, both more powerful AND it has a tilt and bounce head - allowing you to put the light where you want it. It ALSO acts as a Master for optically slaved units; AND it can be put in Manual mode for consistent exposures. Lovely little unit that fits in a shirt pocket easily.
Are we talking about the same flash?
The one I have came with my GM5, and the head doesn't tilt...

Latest threads

Top Bottom