1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

control wheel function

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rudy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I am surprised that cameras with only one control wheel, such as the new Panasonic GM1, would "waste it" on the mode selector.
    In my opinion it would make a lot more sense to make it an exposure control function: aperture, shutter or program shift depending on mode and have the mode selection done in a menu.
    You are much more likely to want to change an exposure setting than the mode.
    Rudy

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I agree completely. I've never understood why a mode selector is considered the mark of a "serious" camera by so many. That's something I think most of us change only occasionally, whereas exposure, DOF / shutter speed control is something we're likely to be concerned about on every shot. Or at least many shots.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    If I could choose the functions for the two control wheels on the top, it would be primary exposure setting (aperture or shutter speed) and exposure compensation. You've got four buttons around the Menu button for ISO, timer/continuous, WB, and AF mode. The soft function buttons could be used for everything else.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My old Fujifilm S9500 had a multi function dial - the dial function changed depending on which button was held down. They could do the same with the mode dial.