1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Control dial going bad on E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cptobvious, May 6, 2014.

1. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Yesterday I noticed the front control dial on my E-P5 was intermittently (every few clicks) not registering with the camera when turning it clockwise. I'm sending it to Olympus today for a warranty fix, but I've seen posts describing the same problem on the rear dial of the E-M1. Has anyone else had this problem with their E-P5? Thanks

2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

This seems to be getting a little too widespread, I suspect there may be some sort of design flaw at play...

Z...

3. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Australia
    Same problem. Sent it in. Came back out. Same problem. push inwards when u turn the front dial.

4. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    That doesn't sound good. Mine seemed to have problems regardless of how I turned the dial. It's annoying enough that I'd probably get a new camera if Olympus can't fix it, but I'd expect them to offer to refund or replace it with something else.

5. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Australia
    Doesn't seem like a lot of people have this problem with the EP5 tho. it gets pretty irritating when i want to adjust exposure. Clockwise is worse off than anticlockwise. Rear dial works perfectly tho. Dropped them a follow up email, will see how it goes.

6. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
  7. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Australia
    Olympus has fixed my front dial :)

8. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Good to hear! Mine's still in repair, but I'm hoping it'll get fixed the first time.

9. Chfree

Chfree New to Mu-43

May 19, 2014
    I have the same problem, but with rear dial.
    There is no authorized olympus service center in my country, so I have to use one dial only.

10. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I got my E-P5 back today and it works great so far. It looks like they replaced the front dial - the new one is noticeably stiffer and positively clicks compared to the rear dial. Kind of wish they replaced the rear dial as well just in case, but it works so I can't complain.

I also updated to firmware v1.5 and turned on 0 sec anti-shock. WOW - I thought I was getting slightly blurred photos before because of hand shake, but apparently it was shutter shock bc I'm getting consistently sharp photos now.

11. Cani

Cani New to Mu-43

Jan 1, 2014
    For those of you who had a failing control dial, do you have an idea of the number of shutter actuations the camera had when the problem surfaced?

12. lytnus

lytnus New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2014
    I actually noticed this exact issue myself after not using the camera a while. before the recent period of non-use (a couple of months ish easily; been too busy!) I don't recall any issue. When I started using it again the front and rear dials were both very unresponsive, mores when rotating clockwise than counter-clockwise I noted (as was remarked earlier in this thread); this can be tested by flicking the dial back and forward one notch at a time and seeing whether the reading that is being affected trends one way or the other.

Anyway, It was pretty bad initially but I rotated the dials in quick succession back and forth a bit, and I believe more importantly took my lens cleaning air puffy thing and did my best to puff air into all the gaps between the dials and camera body. The problem seemed to reduce a bit each time I did this and now my front dial seems (touch wood) fully responsive again to each press, and at last test my rear dial was fully responsive counter-clockwise and fails to respond say 1 in every 6 turns.

I hope that helps someone else that comes across the same issue.

Nevertheless I'm probably going to contact customer support to make them aware that I have the issue incase it crops up again or appears to get worse. I feel as if my lack of use caused the issue which makes me wonder whether it's just trapped dust or some other thing that accumulates in the spaces between dial and body and would otherwise not be given the chance with more day to day use.

In terms of images taken, very few! Maybe 800. I bought the camera in February. My camera has unfortunately been lying pretty dormant on the whole as work takes up all my time nowadays..

• Like Like x 1