Continuous Auto Focusing in E-M5 ii and E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Clemo, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Hi guys,

I'm used to the servo mode/continuous AF system in the Canon systems. When I shoot C-AF in Olympus, I see that the focus keeps shifting while I'm holding on to the shutter halfway. This leads to the subject being constantly switched from in focus to out of focus in a matter of a fraction of a second. I've looked at the manual for an explanation but nothing seems to explain this. Is this just how the C-AF works in Olympus? Is this just how CDAF C-AF works instead of the PDAF I'm used to?

Thanks for any help!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Yes. Depending on your AF release setting, it will wait until valid focus lock before firing the shutter. The G7, GH4 with their DFD technology and the E-M1 with its PDAF will hunt less.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you tell us your exact camera body and lens we would know more about that combination's C-AF performance and whether you should completely change to S-AF bursts instead.
    C-AF performance varies enormously from model to model in m4/3rds.

4. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Wow, thanks guys. I'll have to play around with that. This is with the e-m5 II and e-m10 with the 25mm f1.8 oly and 45mm f1.8 oly. I guess your idea about the single point AF burst shot may be a better idea for me. I'm not really shooting wildlife, just a very playful puppy ha-ha! Thanks for response guys, any more comments or suggestions appreciated!