1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Continuous Auto Focusing in E-M5 ii and E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Clemo, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Hi guys,

I'm used to the servo mode/continuous AF system in the Canon systems. When I shoot C-AF in Olympus, I see that the focus keeps shifting while I'm holding on to the shutter halfway. This leads to the subject being constantly switched from in focus to out of focus in a matter of a fraction of a second. I've looked at the manual for an explanation but nothing seems to explain this. Is this just how the C-AF works in Olympus? Is this just how CDAF C-AF works instead of the PDAF I'm used to?

Thanks for any help!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes. Depending on your AF release setting, it will wait until valid focus lock before firing the shutter. The G7, GH4 with their DFD technology and the E-M1 with its PDAF will hunt less.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you tell us your exact camera body and lens we would know more about that combination's C-AF performance and whether you should completely change to S-AF bursts instead.
    C-AF performance varies enormously from model to model in m4/3rds.

4. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Wow, thanks guys. I'll have to play around with that. This is with the e-m5 II and e-m10 with the 25mm f1.8 oly and 45mm f1.8 oly. I guess your idea about the single point AF burst shot may be a better idea for me. I'm not really shooting wildlife, just a very playful puppy ha-ha! Thanks for response guys, any more comments or suggestions appreciated!