Continuous AF M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by woollyback, Mar 14, 2016.

1. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    Folks

Had a go at continuous tracking mode the other day and wondered which mode everyone was operating in and what the difference is

I was on slow moving ships with a plain background ( sea and sky) and was set to C-AF with tracking, centre focus point manually selected H drive speed

The green square beep was pretty quick but it just seemed to randomly wander around the frame, unless it had seen something I didn't. The in focus results however to my mind where pretty good

There is another mode just C-AF which I am not sure how this is different

I would like to hear anyone's experiences of set up or any tips anyone might wish to share

I was using the 12-40 pro lens

Thanks for any info

Rob

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    C-AF will keep what ever is behind your focus point in focus as it moves towards/away from you. In theory, C-AF+tracking will follow whatever it focused on around the frame so you don't have to keep your chosen focus point on the subject. In practice, tracking can be great to frustrating....sometimes it works really well and other times it just follows some invisible object. I typically start with tracking and if it starts doing strange things I just switch to C-AF with whatever focus point gives me the composition I want (I am always moving the focus point for composition, rarely do I focus and recompose).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Yeah, tracking is just not worthwhile.

I use C-AF with the middle 9 AF cells activated (which conveniently kind of covers the PDAF area too).

4. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    Thanks folks,
    I might give CAF a run out and see how we go :)