Continuing Thoughts on The E-M1 from an E-M5 User

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
I have been using the E-M5 since last summer, I got it a few weeks after the release. A few really long and irritating weeks, see E-m5 shipping status thread. I posted a thread with some first impressions of the E-M1 and that whole thing was written in a very goofy style. I thought a more serious thread might be of some use, if not I will still enjoy writing about the camera.

If you have any questions or would like me to try something feel free to do so.

If you want to read my earlier impressions they are over here.

The ergonomics are very improved and might be the biggest reason along with the pdaf to buy this thing. I am loving the mode switch and I haven't even messed around with it much. Once I get the settings customized I am sure I'll love it even more. The 4 way button is much nicer and those two new function buttons are located right where they should be. It is certainly an iterative improvement but it is one of the best iterations of anything I have ever seen. Olympus spent there time thinking things through and it seems much of those niggling faults have been alleviated.

I need to spend more time with the wifi app but I get the feeling that it is going to be an irreplaceable tool in your box. I felt the lack of articulating display when I hopped the panny m4/3s fence but the app makes up for it. I might not end up using it much but just having the ability will be useful situationally. I hope that they add some way to manage settings on the app. It could be fantastic to have a profile management tool built into it.

I finally tried the tracking focus and 4/3 lens focus out and I am sold. The tracking focus works pretty good I just took one sequence of photos of my daughter with them so I can't say much about it, yet.

I was pleasantly surprised and ecstatic at the performance of my 50-200mm non swd lens. It isn't anything like using the 12-50mm m4/3 lens with its instant locks but it is very much improved and very usable. Weeee the promise land is here! at least the promised land of shg and hg 4/3 glass. Granted at this point there are only say 3 lenses I would love to own from the 4/3 stable the 300mm 2.8, the 150mm 2 and the 90-250mm. That is in order of desirability. While I would like the two f2 zooms I doubt I'd appreciate lugging them around and the pro m4/3 lenses are the ones that have my eye. I also don't really feel the need for any 4/3 lens purchases atm maybe I'll own the prime teles most likely the 150mm but it's not likely at this point.

Give me a prime 150mm f2 with that Panasonic zoom teleextender (they patented one a year or two ago) and I'll just say shut up and take my money.

I bought the 50-200m swd soon after I got my ep-1 and it mostly languished because of the slow focus, I mean the ep-1 was pretty bad even when using m4/3 lens, it was terrifying with the 50-200mm. I guess despite the failing of the system I decided to go all in. I still have some of my old Pentax lenses (da 40mm limited and the 10-17mm fisheye, i really need to get rid of them. When I got my gh1 it didn't really improve my poor 50-200s situation probably worsened it. That go kinda fixed last year with my e-m5 but not really. That has all changed for the better with the e-m1 it works perhaps not as fast as the fastest but more than usable and I don't think I'll be using my 100-300mm panny much anymore. I guess it's bitter sweet in one regard, but hey my 50-200mm is still a lot of fun.

The evf is a beauty to behold and I had kinda forgotten about it when I started messing with the e-m1. I was pleasantly blown away when I put my eye to it and realized how damn big and beautiful it is. The e-m1 might not seem to be a big upgrade because there are many seemingly small improvements but the evf alone is worth the cost to upgrade. The mode lever adds the frosting on top and the rest is just pure pleasure.

I realize I am gushing but I can't really help it. Yes there are things that are a let down and mainly that is the mysets. I love mysets! The problem is that yes you can replace modes on the dial with a myset but and the but is really damn big is that it's still a pain in the ass to deal with them. The distressing thing is that it would require just a few minor things to elevate the mysets to far beyond greatness. Really simple things, stuff like being able to name them so you don't forget which myset does what. A way to manage them off camera, hey the wifi and Olympus share app there seems to be something there. Yes! Allow us to setup mysets along with the rest of the camera on our phones or tablets. Being able to manage, share and save them would be soo beneficial. It would increase interest in them because there are soo many things one could do but it's too hard to experiment with them atm or at least too time and brain consuming. Rant off, I'll start another thread for that.

I spent some more time with Olympus wifi app. I tried it with my Asus Transformer last night and while it is cool the smartphone app is much more useful to me. Unless one really needs the larger screen stick with your smartphone. It just made me feel too disconnected, yeah the size makes it harder to use but using it with a smartphone is much more intuitive. It was way too unwieldy. Perhaps I might use it in a pseudo tethering manner when shooting with a tripod but not likely. I can see the use and the point but it's not for me. I would love it if I could use it to setup the camera but perhaps that comes later.

With a smartphone the use is again situational but much much more easy to find yourself in that situation. Need a remote shutter release, I got you! You need to take a selfie from above and want to actually compose, I got you. Don't want to get on your knees, I got you baby. It is such a useful extension of the camera I can't really see how anyone would think that it was feature creep or hard to fathom the point.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
hope ya dont mind me sharing :) figure a good subject for many to have in one spot :)
make a thread like this for all users coming from the EM-5 :)

just got mine last night the vewfinder is so much nicer worth it alone :) now to sell my EM-5 :)

have not played with the tracking tend to not trust them at weddings as they end up jumping to someone else;) but will try it

usually just single and get it kinda thing :) so excited to try at a gig :)

wish we could name mypresets still !! :)

focus ? no idea yet feels quicker but I am excited so that feel does not count yet
controls are WAY BETTER more options with buttons to customize
being able to take a myset and have it replace art or the iauto on the mode dial is handy
buttons are smoother and less tiny squishy not like a slight wobble rubber bump sticking out feel
dials are better they move but easy and have a smoother but solid position feel much more like a FF camera has rather than a cheap little light dial feeling
the extra Fn buttons are nice

I miss the location of the viewfinder/screen switch big time it was so easy to hit with the side of your thumb which was on the rear dial and just a sleight movement now you have to move your left hand or right hand
I can see why with the improved button switch and improved AEL/AFL button so trade off I guess ?
locking mode dial finally

rear screen way way better again more accurate color no cast and cleaner easier to see detail

ergo wise waiting on my grip but not bad without where to me the EM-5 for me was barely without the grip
battery life ? no idea yet went through 2 playing last night but screen and menus were on whole time

so far very happy with the updates and feel its a solid gen 2 camera now and worth the update cost to me :)

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Hi from a potential customer for all of these sold EM5s. :)

You both mentioned the viewfinders . . . is the EM5 one bad or is the one on the EM1 just so much better? I have experience with the VF2 only.

Sorry if this is the wrong place.

bcaslis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Caslis
The E-M5 EVF is good, the E-M1 is just leagues better. I was in my local camera store getting more stuff for the E-M1 this morning and we were discussing the camera. They agreed that it has the best EVF of any camera they currently sell bar none.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
ditto no its not bad at all :) just em-1 is better which it should be for almost 2x the price and newer :)

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
My first evf was the one in the GH1 and when I upgraded to the E-M5 I thought that perhaps I might be bothered by the reduction in size. I wasn't and that was because the evf was smaller but much much better. The evf on the E-M1 is just incredible and I had forgotten that it was one of the upgraded parts and when I did notice, I was blown away. It's kind of like the difference between good optics and great optics. You can live without them but why would you want to. That is, if you have the choice.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
not sure yet did some stuff at 1/8th for fun and was sharp ?
but I could do that with my EM-5
the EM-5 IMHO is still so good being better wont mean much to me since for what I do I end up with to much movement ? truly IBIS is so cool one main reason I love this camera nice small lens and body and IBIS and great output

hope its a bit better its newer and more expensive :)

Any thoughts on the E-M1 in-camera stabilization? Does it seem improved over the already excellent E-M5? This reviewer posted some hand held images at shutter speeds slower than 1/2 sec that seemed incredibly sharp: http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2013/09/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-introduction.html

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I was pleasantly surprised and ecstatic at the performance of my 50-200mm non swd lens. It isn't anything like using the 12-50mm m4/3 lens with its instant locks but it is very much improved and very usable. Weeee the promise land is here! at least the promised land of shg and hg 4/3 glass. Granted at this point there are only say 3 lenses I would love to own from the 4/3 stable the 300mm 2.8, the 150mm 2 and the 90-250mm. That is in order of desirability. While I would like the two f2 zooms I doubt I'd appreciate lugging them around and the pro m4/3 lenses are the ones that have my eye. I also don't really feel the need for any 4/3 lens purchases atm maybe I'll own the prime teles most likely the 150mm but it's not likely at this point.

For what its worth, the 150mm f/2 just dropped in price on Amazon to $1900. that's the lowest I've seen it brand new...

bcaslis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Caslis

RakSiam

Mu-43 Regular
I watched Robin Wong's demo video of the Android app and was mighty impressed. For all the complaining a lot of us did about the lack of a wireless remote for the E-M5, this certainly fixes that issue and then some. (Mine should arrive Monday and I am excited to try it all out) I'm wondering about using my Nexus 7 tablet with it. That seems like it might be quite useful since the tablet is not huge.

How do you like the power switch placement? I am thinking that is going to be an annoyance to me. I really like being able to easily access the E-M5's power switch with my right thumb for quick on and off.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
I like the little app great bonus and could see it being useful for sure being able to change settings get my focus point and trigger the shutter all without another piece of hardware :)

RakSiam for me the power is good out of the way ? again I use it for a living so tend to shoot 8-10 hours straight so its on stays on all night so out of the way works better for me :)

not sure if the top two buttons will get bumped ? wish they all locked :) but we shall see

bcaslis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Caslis
I like the power switch location better than the E-M5. But I dislike it much more than my Nikons. The best location to me is a switch around the shutter button. Then turning it on and off is the easiest.

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree I like a lever myself, the pansonic gh1s style around the mode dial worked for me. I didn't mind the e-m5 and I never really understood the hate towards it. I don't mind the e-m1 one of lever but would have preferred to be able to shoot one handed.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Question

If I shot both RAW and the smallest JPG, can the JPG be downloaded via wifi to an iPad?

Thanks

bcaslis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Caslis
Question

If I shot both RAW and the smallest JPG, can the JPG be downloaded via wifi to an iPad?

Thanks

Yes, but I don't think you need to shoot the smallest JPEG. You can shoot any size. It will get resized based on preferences you can set in the app.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Any thoughts on the E-M1 in-camera stabilization? Does it seem improved over the already excellent E-M5? This reviewer posted some hand held images at shutter speeds slower than 1/2 sec that seemed incredibly sharp: http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2013/09/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-introduction.html

Yes the image stabilization is definitely improved over the E-M5. I took 15 shots on both the E-M5 and E-M1, 1/5th of a second on the Oly 45 1.8. Around 1/3 of the E-M5 shots were sharp while all 15 of the E-M1 shots were sharp.

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I got to try an E-M1 today, and OMG! I was surprised with the viewfinder. I love everything about my OM-D E-M5, but I just couldn't get used to the EVF. I thought it was better than the EVFs on Sony though. I'm more of an OVF guy, but the EVF on the E-M1 really surprised me. It makes me want to buy the E-M1. haha

bcaslis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Caslis
I got to try an E-M1 today, and OMG! I was surprised with the viewfinder. I love everything about my OM-D E-M5, but I just couldn't get used to the EVF. I thought it was better than the EVFs on Sony though. I'm more of an OVF guy, but the EVF on the E-M1 really surprised me. It makes me want to buy the E-M1. haha

Give in to your feelings Luke...

:biggrin:

I had a Sony NEX-7 and the E-M1 EVF is much better. The E-M1 is a bit bigger, the blacks don't block up, and the Sony had a small center which was clear but if your eye was slightly off center the EVF got blurry. The E-M1 is clear and sharp edge to edge no matter how you place your eye. I love this EVF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom