Contemplating selling DSLR gear

pcnyc

Mu-43 Regular
I've had 7d and a k5 before, and they really do have a few things that m43 can't match yet. 7d for the continuous AF tracking things like kids running around on soccer field, and k5 for the really awesome high iso output. but the thing that i miss the most is a fast normal zoom like a tamron 17-50mm 2.8. the new panny x lens should address that.

dino8031

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still on the hunt for a E-P3 System but I'm thinking it will be painful parting with my Canon gear. I love the feel of a big DSLR and a beefy lens, but I hate lugging it all around, so much so that I barely shoot anymore because it's just too inconvenient.
I've handled an E-P3 and it feels like a great compromise.
Hauling ten pounds of gear 16 miles up and down a Fourteener is just getting to be too much for me.

Jdumas

Mu-43 Regular
IF and IF the OM-D is all that its cracked up to be it will be hard not to sell my 5D classic, my only DSLR left. (sold a XSI to get into m43 and owned many before that)

I will keep my only Canon lens left, my EF 100 f2.0, to use on my EOS 1n. I just love the combination on film.

Micro 4/3 is a very freeing system in my thinking.

robertro

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd love to get rid of my DLSR but am not yet ready for this step. My PM1 comes with me much of the time, even when I carry a DSLR.

For me, having a Canon DSLR with 70-200/2.8 lens is needed for photographing sports action and dim environments, and nice-to-have at home when coupled with a short 2.8 zoom or a 50/1.8 or 100/2 lens.

I'm expecting that the next 1-2 generations of M4/3 will get me to the tipping point; especially if any improvements in C-AF and any fast zooms appear.

sol95

Mu-43 Rookie
to be honest, I just prefer the feel of a dslr. Maybe I'm old school... :p

also, output-wise, M43 cannot come close to thin depth of field you get with a FF camera and an ultrafast lens like my 5dii and 50L or 85LII

nrowensby

Mu-43 Regular
to be honest, I just prefer the feel of a dslr. Maybe I'm old school... :p

also, output-wise, M43 cannot come close to thin depth of field you get with a FF camera and an ultrafast lens like my 5dii and 50L or 85LII

Because 21 megapixels is definitely old-school. :biggrin:

jon595

Mu-43 Veteran
I just figured I'd close this thread up by saying that my Nikon gear is either on eBay (D700 eBay link here) or will be soon.

The E-M5 really pushed me to adopting soley the m4/3 system and is currently pre-ordered. I love my G3, but just miss some of the manual controls and not a huge fan of the body design. The E-M5 was exactly what I was looking for, great build quality, built-in EVF, manual controls and in-body IS at a fairly good price point.

Now I can focus on filling in my lens gaps (wide angle fast prime, super-wide zoom, macro, etc) and build a complete system.

Since I am not a professional and don't really ever want to be one, this system is all the camera I'll ever need.

Plus... with a new system... comes the need for new bags... and everyone always needs more camera bags...

potownrob

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rob
i too am not sure yet whether to ditch my D40 with its permanently attached Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens. It's not so much that it can't do anything the GF2 can't do for my shooting but that I would need to get a lens to replace the versatile and sharp 17-50 (or at least a wider prime) before ditching it :frown:

RussellOlaguer

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Russell Olaguer
I just sold my D90 plus several prime lenses to make funds for the E-M5.
I'll buy the body + 12-50mm kit, panny 20mm and oly 45mm.
I think that's all I need for now.

I'm not a professional photographer.
My D90 combined with primes lenses produces good quality images. However, I'm tired of carrying heavy stuff.
I love all the the good things about E-M5. Good build quality, smaller/lighter than my DSLR, IBIS, weather sealing, tilting OLED screen, etc.

I just wish that the image quality and low light performance will satisfy me.

I'm using my X100 while waiting for my E-M5 system. :)

Barb

Mu-43 Rookie
I just sold my 5D and about a dozen lens. I am moving to the OM-D. Canon is great, I loved all my stuff, but the cost is continually rising and the equipment is heavy. I need to be more mobile. For me, its all about the image - content as well as quality - and Canon's cost and size has become a negative for me. Moving to MFT seems to work just fine and it looks like a great path for my future.

taurus9

Mu-43 Regular
At the moment, I can't bear the thought of selling all the remaining DSLR lenses...there's a troika of legacy lenses that I enjoy shooting with and am not sure I would enjoy using them as much if I adapted them to M 4/3. However, I'll try anyway to see if they're interesting to use with 2x crop factor.

nueces snapper

Mu-43 All-Pro
I sold my Nikon D3 and L glass. Just too much heft. :smile:

So I've been a fan of micro 4/3's stuff since the GF1 and 20mm. I bought a G3 back in October and have been loving it ever since, growing my collection drastically since then. This means that my Nikon D700 kit has been mostly collecting dust since then. In fact, I haven't used my D700 in anything more than a snapshot since a portrait shoot on December 8th.

The thing is, I'm not really missing it. To put my idea to the test, this past weekend I put the G3 through some challenges. A portrait shoot and an ice hockey game. My results are on my blog, here. I don't want to re-type everything, but the short story is the G3 did amazingly well I think.

Has anyone else ditched their DSLR or other high end stuff to fully embrace m4/3? I feel like I could live with it just fine, but I'm hesitant because of the security of having such a powerful system in the Nikon. I love photography and do it mostly for fun. I've only taken a few paid portraits shoot, I mostly just do stuff for friends and family for free. I'm thinking that even if I want to do stuff like that, the m4/3 kit would still rock it.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to figure out? Has anyone went through something similar? And yes, seeing the rumor shots of the Oly OM-D stuff and hearing about it has me wanting whatever that new thing is.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I wish I could have sold my DSLRs... I just wore all mine out, and in the meantime they got steadily replenished with fresh Micro Four-Thirds gear.

Kiwi Paul

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I sold up and moved over to m4/3 too, no regrets, although sometimes I do miss the IQ of the lovely Zuiko SHG glass but the size, weight and investment just made it too impractical to keep.

Paul

jon595

Mu-43 Veteran
Good to hear that so many others did the same move I am. My main complaints was having all full frame glass and body was the cost of wanting new lenses. I got the D700 as a gift from my wife as a 'wedding present'. I was thrilled with that coming from a malfunctioning D50. I didn't realize at the time the cost of the lenses though.

If I would have had a DX system, it would have been a much harder decision. However, I am now excited to clear out the Nikon stuff and focus on what I need to complete my m4/3 system.

I current have:
- Panasonic G3
- Panasonic 14-42mm, 20mm, 45-200mm
- Olympus 45mm
- Nissin Di-466

I currently want:
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 (black with 14-42mm already pre-ordered)
- Olympus 9-18mm
- Olympus FL-600R
- a fast 35mm equivilent prime... (not the new Voigtlander)

With that, add a new camera bag or two (TT Retro5) and I think I'll be set for a long time. If only the E-M5 could come sooner...

Latest threads

Top Bottom