1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Contemplating selling DSLR gear

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jon595, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    So I've been a fan of micro 4/3's stuff since the GF1 and 20mm. I bought a G3 back in October and have been loving it ever since, growing my collection drastically since then. This means that my Nikon D700 kit has been mostly collecting dust since then. In fact, I haven't used my D700 in anything more than a snapshot since a portrait shoot on December 8th.

The thing is, I'm not really missing it. To put my idea to the test, this past weekend I put the G3 through some challenges. A portrait shoot and an ice hockey game. My results are on my blog, here. I don't want to re-type everything, but the short story is the G3 did amazingly well I think.

Has anyone else ditched their DSLR or other high end stuff to fully embrace m4/3? I feel like I could live with it just fine, but I'm hesitant because of the security of having such a powerful system in the Nikon. I love photography and do it mostly for fun. I've only taken a few paid portraits shoot, I mostly just do stuff for friends and family for free. I'm thinking that even if I want to do stuff like that, the m4/3 kit would still rock it.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to figure out? Has anyone went through something similar? And yes, seeing the rumor shots of the Oly OM-D stuff and hearing about it has me wanting whatever that new thing is.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I understand . . .

I've decided to sell or trade my Canon 40D. I love the camera, it was a big step up for me but the :43: do such a nice job in a smaller size. I haven't used the Canon in weeks. It was a hard decision, I like the security of the dslr, but I think I'm ready to move on.

3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I sold my D90, 35mm f/1.8 and 18-200mm to buy the GF1/20mm, and since picked up the 7-14mm. I ditched it after I couldn't find room in my bag for it to take to Barcelona and was too scared of it being stolen to take it to India. I don't miss the SLR even a little bit, except in very low light situations. I carry the GF1 around far more than I ever did the D90 because it's small, light and inconspicuous with the 20mm lens on it. I find the image quality to be probably about 80% of the Nikon, but since my final product is almost always Facebook and G+, that doesn't bother me at all. The glass for the M4/3 system is really impressive - I love the 7-14mm, the 20mm f/1.7 is amazing for being so tiny, and the Panasonic-Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro is incredible. New pro-quality zooms are coming out, so it's really filling in quite well. I personally see no reason to have an SLR system as a hobbyist. If I were doing this for a living, I definitely wouldn't give up a larger sensor system quite yet.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    it's certainly a capable system. and I ditched my dslr for it. mostly because I'm also a bit of a tech whore =) But for 90% of what I do, it would work.

There are limits still. And my 5D/40D could get some shots easier no doubt. But I found the only way to really know is to go all in, so I did before the 5D lost any more value. Granted, if I go back, it will be painful as the m43 body pricing took a bigger hit than I thought it would.

Still waiting for the perfect body combo though. EP3 w/ the panasonic sensor would be one I think. The other I'm hoping is this OM-D. But the G3 is a damn good value and it won't be going anywhere soon, heh.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Ideally I would like to get an E-p3 and a 45mm f1.8. I have a 40D and a really nice 20-40mm f2.8 that I'll probably drop on eBay to raise some cash. Agreed, if I were a pro I would probably keep the Canon, but the :43: cameras are more in line with what I need.

6. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

@jon595: I bailed out of my Canon system last year and have never looked back. I've had more fun, and taken more pictures that I truly enjoy, in the last year with my Olympus E-PL2 than all of my prior years of photography put together!

7. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I ditched all my Nikon gear and love m4/3, especially the G3. I totally agree with the above statement. You really need to let go completely of your connection to DSLR to fully realize that you don't need it at all, and that m4/3 can fully satisfy your needs.

Obviously every system has its limitations, but when you give yourself over to a system like m4/3, you realize that there are work-arounds for anything that perhaps your Canon or Nikon might do better, and the advantages of a camera like the G3 more than make up for any of these minor issues. Once you have readjusted, it is clear sailing and no regrets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Look at it from a needs/use basis:

1) Is there anything the DSLR does or has that you need/want/like that a m4/3 camera system won't do or have?

2) Do you genuinely enjoy using the DSLR or like the specific output that it gives compared to a m4/3 camera?

I still split my usage at about 50% m4/3, and 50% between a Canon DSLR and some old Olympus 4/3 gear. The DSLRs aren't gathering dust by any means so I have yet to reach the same "fork in the road" decision.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mcarthur

Mcarthur New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2012
    Nic,
    There's nothing in m43 I've heard of that can touch my 1dII + 300mm f/2.8 IS for sports/action - and that's the "old" 1dII, not even a 1dIV!

So far, I wouldn't turn up to a wedding with only (!) a m43 kit (two bodies of course). I haven't been impressed yet by the quickness of turn-and-AF-and-shoot from the GX1 compared to the 24-70 on my 5dII, so fast-paced events may also be out for m43 (although I've no experience with any other body).

I also shoot theatre. I haven't tried yet but I'd be (very pleasantly) surprised if the 5dII + 70-200 f/2.8 IS can be even equalled for some shots, let alone replaced. I don't think I've ever been under 1600 ISO @ f/3.5 with most shots between 150-200mm.

So while I've just bought a GX1 + lenses, I'm not selling off my canon kit yet. What I have done is scaled it down though - the 70-200 f/4 IS rather than the f/2.8. The 35mm f/2 rather than the f/1.4. I'd looking forward to getting my EOS adapter and seeing how my 24mm TSE goes - that lens redefined my concept of accutance & microsharpness on the 5dII; if it can work on the m43 I'll be *very* happy with landscapes and much lighter on my bushwalking :).

• Like Like x 1
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Mcarthur, your EF lenses, when used on m4/3 are unable to adjust aperture. You either have to get an adapter with a built-in iris that causes vignetting because the blades are behind the lens and not inside it, or you have to buy a very expensive electronic adapter that makes your camera as large as a Rebel, and much more expensive. I've said it many times, but if you have a sizeable EF lens investment and wish to adapt them, the best "adapter" by far is simply to buy a used xti, t2i, etc. You also retain autofocus, EXIF data, IS, etc. Especially for those wide angle lenses, where you are usually wanting to preserve a larger angle of view.

jon595, I agree with Luckypenguin. Only you can answer your own question. If m4/3 has any glaring incapabilities for your type of photography, don't sell your DSLR. Otherwise, let it go and don't look back. I am on the same side of the fence as Mcarthur and Luckypenguin; m4/3 can complement my DSLR setup quite nicely, but it doesn't have the capability to replace it. As you see, there's an even split between those that can and those that can't live without an additional system.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    The main thing that the DSLR gives me over the G3 is manual controls. I guess a GH2 type body would help with that. The issue is, I can't get my hands on one since no store in the area sells any Panasonic m4/3 gear.

I'll have to weigh the pro's and con's of each. In the meantime... anyone interested in a D700 in pretty good condition...?

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The G3 controls I think is good enough. I didn't have a hard time using a DSLR and adapting to a G3 quickly in terms of controls and accessibility. :biggrin:

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    All I would say is that if your thoughts on selling your Nikon system are at all influenced by the imminent arrival of the OM-D for goodness sake wait to see what we actually get, rather than base an important decision on rumour and hearsay. On the other hand, if you are influenced to sell the Nikon soley by what your G3 already does, then fine - only you can really know what you want/need from a camera. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Can't ditch the Pentax K-5.

Not happy with Panasonic TTL Flash. Pentax isn't class-leading, but it is better
    M43 doesn't have fast, constant aperture zooms like my 16-50mm F2.8 and 50-135 F2.8.
    K-5 great in low light
    K-5 great DR
    Can add grip to K-5 and look like serious photographer ;-)
    K-5 just feels really really good in the hand.
    Pentax Limited Primes are heirloom pieces

M43 is good - better than I expected - but it's not quite there yet for me.

15. Famous last words, but...while I don't intend to stop using and sell my DSLRs just yet, I have no intention of adding anything new to what I currently have. I'm fairly convinced that regardless of brand, from now on any upgrade money gets spent on mirrorless cameras, not DSLRs.

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    You know you just jinxed yourself. You'll have the Nikon D4 in no time!

17. A Coolpix D4? Oh, no :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    It's better than expected, but only with the right camera! I didn't really bond with :43: until I bought the Olympus E-P3. That camera just works for me, and it's now my favourite "non-serious" camera. It's still not quite there for some of the things that I need to shoot, but it's sufficient (or better) for a lot of the things for which I don't need a larger sensor/camera combo.

I wouldn't be getting rid of the DSLR outfit yet, but that is me. We all shoot different things. Only the OP can decide whether he still needs the DSLR or not.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For the time being, I'm keeping an EOS 50D and a couple of lenses specifically for shooting action, and moving subjects in dim light. The GH2 isn't bad in those respects, but the lack of fast teles really limits it for shooting sports. And I've found for shooting things like wedding receptions, with dim light and people dancing, the AF and EVF can't quite keep up.

The 35-100 is a step in the right direction, but even a 200mm eq isn't really long enough for some things. On my 50D the 70-200 is a 280mm equivalent, and I'd like to see something in that range for mFT, too.

20. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Your 50D has a crop factor of 1.6, which means that the 70-200mm on your camera is a 112-320mm equivalent, not 280mm.