1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

contemplating a switch from Canon DSLR to m43

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bruce Sherman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Bruce Sherman

Bruce Sherman New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2016
    I am a complete newbie to the micro 4/3 world. I have looked over a lot of the forums here - lots of really good stuff.
    I shoot birds, wildlife, and grandkids. Tired of carrying around Canon 7DII, 100-400 II, 400 f4 DO II, and a CF tripod. The things I like about my present kit is the IQ and the fast focusing speed of both my lenses. What I dislike about it is the weight and bulk.
    I am especially interested in these two lenses - the Panasonic 100-400 and the Olympus 300 f4 and its teleconverter. I have no idea which camera body would suit my needs. My initial inclination is to go with either the Olympus OM-D E-M1 or the Panasonic GH4. I have no interest in the video capabilities of either body.
    Both Olympus and Panasonic seem to have numerous different camera bodies. I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc. about which camera body would do best considering my interests and the two lenses I have mentioned above.
    Thanks in advance.

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Right now you are best to wait a month or so and see what the em1ii brings to the table as far as AF tracking is concerned. I think coming from a 7dii and expecting similar wildlife/tracking in m43 is unrealistic. Saying that if you change your style you can certainly do it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You aren't going to save a lot of bulk, as the m4/3 super telephotos are still quite large. The lenses will be a little narrower and a little shorter, but not by a lot.

(Visual comparison: Compact Camera Meter)

You will save a LOT of weight, though. For example, the E-M1 and 100-400 is about 1500g as a combo. The 7D2 and 100-400 L II is about 2600g. That's a 2.5 pounds difference. And the 100-400 on m4/3 reaches about 25% farther in equivalent focal length. The difference is even larger comparing the 400mm f4 DO to the 300mm f4.

Now as siftu said, the AF tracking on m4/3 will feel a bit rudimentary compared to Canon. So if your wildlife photography depends on that, I would definitely try before you buy.

4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Just used that site to check my 100-400
    Compact Camera Meter

Made the move from D7200 and 150-600 earlier this year to the Panasonic GX8 and 100-400,i had no option it wasnt a case of wanting to downsize it was a case of having to,m4/3 will not be a wildlife tool like the gear you have now,it is a lot better than those that dont use it would have you believe though.
    Focusing on still subjects is fast and accurate,tracking takes some learning with it,i do mean learning the first time you try it you tend to think what have i done,then the realization came over me that i could do it with a DSLR so i can do it with this.
    At the moment though i would just keep it at the investigating stage and wait until the two new cameras come out later this year they will most likley move AFC into the next generation.
    You will i guess have worked out to save weight it can only be m4/3 as other mirrorless systems weigh about the same or more when you add lenses.

5. Bruce Sherman

Bruce Sherman New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2016
    Thank you, siftu, tkbslc, and panamike. Sounds like a good idea to wait on the new cameras due out later this year.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another vote here to wait and see. I came from Canon (5dii and 40d) and whilst single AF on u43 is significantly better than either of them, even these old arthritic Canon bodies did a better job of tracking/CAF than my E-M1.

Sensor wise, the u43 bodies are pretty good though - even against the 5dii I haven't really felt I've lost a lot. In terms of enjoyment and having lighter kit though, the Olympus gear wins hands down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Wait for em1 mk2 and GH5 announcements. You may like their features better, especially the focus improvements expected.

You'll find m43 focusing very fast as well but the servo modes won't compare. If you use that often you will be frustrated by MFT. If you don't use servo then you'll be just as happy. That might change with these two new cameras so keep an eye out.

As for lenses. You'll get a 2x crop with MFT vs 1.6. You may want to compare to the olympusgal 40-150 Pro as that would equal the 70-200 on your 7dmk2. The 300mm f4 would get you much more reach than what you have today - 600mm f4 equivalent.

At the moment though MFT is a great system. IQ is high and performance high compared to all but the highest end DSLRs except for that comparison to servo mode.

So watch for the announcements at Photokina before making a decision

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I switched to M43 four or five years ago because of the small size and (at that time) the potential for a wide range of OEM and aftermarket lenses. Nothing since then has caused me to regret the decision. I started with a pair of Panny G1s and moved up to a pair of Panny GX7s. This spring I sold one of the GX7s and bought a GX8. In June I bought a 100-400mm for a July trip to Africa.

The GX8 is a great body; it has a number of very good features and its low light sensitivity is much better than the GX7. But it is BIG. About the size of a full-frame Leica. My original thought when buying it was that I would soon sell my other GX7 and buy a second GX8. After working with it, though, I have abandoned that plan. I'll carry and use the GX8 when its capabilities are worth the effort, but otherwise my GX7 will be my "grab" camera.

The 100-400mm is a fantastic lens, especially paired with the GX8 where the dual IS comes into play. But I plan to sell it because it is just too big and heavy for me. When I bought it I had thoughts of keeping it and selling my 100-300mm, but the 100-300 is much smaller and lighter. Except for special situations like the Africa trip, I really don't need the 100mm extra reach badly enough to justify lugging the big lens around. If/when I get into a situation where I need the extra reach, I'll buy another copy of the lens and sell it when the need goes away.

So ... weight and bulk is relative. Relative to a GX7 and 100-300mm, the GX8/100-400mm is HUGE and HEAVY. Relative to your Canon gear I don't know. YMMV quite a bit! But I thought you ought to have this informations anyway. Good luck in your choices.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I switched from Canon to Olympus about four years ago. I had a 7D, 15-85 and 55-250 EF-S lenses. I wasn't shooting wildlife, but was shooting soccer games. After I switched to an Olympus EM5, I never looked back and sold all my Canon gear. Since then, I've enjoyed photography more and my back has thanked me for the lower weight and compact size. Equipment quality, image quality, convenience, and reasonable cost won me over too. It's been more fun shooting with M43.

If you compare the 7D II w/100-400 to the EM1 w/Pana Leica 100-400, the M43 kit doesn't look like it's not that much smaller, although significantly lighter. One thing to keep in mind is that in terms of equivalent field of view, 400 (= 640 on APS-C) on an M43 would be equivalent to an 800 on a full-frame. I have an adapted 4/3rds lens for my EM1, a Zuiko Digital 50-200 SWD f2.8-3.5 lens with an EC-14 1.4x teleconverter. I can get up to 283 mm with it, which is about 560 in equivalent FOV on a full-frame. It's a little bigger than the 40-150 f2.8 Pro shown here, but shorter than the Pana Leica 100-400.
    Compact Camera Meter

If you ask me, I'd be glad not to be carrying around a 7D II and a 100-400 anymore. :)

• Like Like x 1