1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Contax Zeiss lenses on M43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by crashwins, Sep 22, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Anyone know if they will work (the lenses from the Contax G system)?

Have a deal on a lot of them I'm considering. Perhaps they would be better suited for my L1. Thanks

2. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Figured it out. Seems the 28mm has problems

3. TDP

TDP Guest

They can be adapted.

I'm a huge fan of manual focus, old school style glass with a direct mount - but adapted glass has a few short comings. Many adaptors are thinner than they should be and have to be shimmed if you want to maintain MFD, often adapted glass displays a lack of contrast - then there is the issue where (some) adapted glass is large and heavy when mounted on a m43 body.

If the glass is old, make sure there aren't any fungus issues that will be near impossible to get out. Other than that, if you can get a good deal and want to give it a try - go for it!

4. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I use the 45mm and it's a terrific lens - sharp and good contrast; I like the bokeh as well. The challenge with these lenses is that they have to be focused by the adaptor. Mine has a little thumb wheel but there are others that have a ring around the adaptor that you turn like most manual lenses - that might work better. Metabones makes the best one.

I can use the 45 pretty comfortably, but I've found the 90mm too fussy and stiff in focusing to be worth it. I haven't used the 35mm. I understand that the 28mm can be made to work if you remive the flanges at the back of the lens - I haven't wanted to that to mine, so I can't speak to that as anything more than a possibility. I think the 45mm is definetely worth exploring, it's a lens with a lot of character, but it takes some patience!

5. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here' a recent shot I took with the 45mm lens. It gives you some idea . . .

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50328929@N00/7967890934/" title="P9083952 by verreplein, on Flickr"> 7967890934_d619137c40_z. "640" height="480" alt="P9083952"></a>

Check out the image thread for the lens.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've seen quite a few NEX users use them so I figure they'll work on µ4/3 bodies too :smile:

I myself have a couple too but I only use mine for the body below.....:smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/32299138@N08/6601343015/" title="Contax G1 Rangefinder With Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm ƒ2 T* Lens by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="456" alt="Contax G1 Rangefinder With Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm ƒ2 T* Lens"></a>

7. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
  8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a 35, 45, and a 90mm at one point. Loved all three of them but the 45mm stood out. When I decided to downsize, I had a hard tome letting go of them, and the main reason I finally did was that all the adapters I tried were a bit fiddly. They pictures are brilliant and beautifully sharp, but using the lenses on anything that is moving can be a bit of a hassle. I am sure that practice will help a lot.

Stefan

9. SVG-HK

SVG-HK Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Valeriy
    I use Contax Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/28mm CY mount. Really happy with performance and results. Pic below for reference. Camera E-M5.

[​IMG]

10. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica mount lenses are fine and quite nice on m4/3. Adapters are simple and relatively easy to adjust for infinity, etc.

Carl Zeiss Contax G mount lenses are more difficult and generally not worth the trouble IMHO unless you already have a set.

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    It's not that tricky actually. I had difficulty the first time around but after that it seems so simple and easy. But, the adapter quality matters. I am currently using the Contax G35 and G90 on my Nex-5 than the OM-D for the following reasons:

(i) The adapter that I got from adorama is bad. Really really bad. It's a kipon adapter but it was sold to me as a adorama's re-branded version. The couple of times I used the adapter, I couldn't get the lens off it because the switch/knob to dismount the lens does not dis-engage completely.

(ii) The same switch/knob mentioned in point (i) grazes the surface, the slightly protruding part which mimicks the penta-prism.

With Nex, I don't have these issues and the fact that fotodiox adapter is a much much better adapter than the kipon one makes me stick to this combo. So far, I am loving it. I think I finally see why people like 50mm (35mm EFL) FL. It's so natural. And the Contax G90 is pretty awesome too. Couple it with an achromat and you have a very capable macro rig.

• Like Like x 1