Contax Zeiss lenses on M43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by crashwins, Sep 22, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Anyone know if they will work (the lenses from the Contax G system)?

Have a deal on a lot of them I'm considering. Perhaps they would be better suited for my L1. Thanks

2. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Figured it out. Seems the 28mm has problems

3. TDP

TDP Guest

They can be adapted.

I'm a huge fan of manual focus, old school style glass with a direct mount - but adapted glass has a few short comings. Many adaptors are thinner than they should be and have to be shimmed if you want to maintain MFD, often adapted glass displays a lack of contrast - then there is the issue where (some) adapted glass is large and heavy when mounted on a m43 body.

If the glass is old, make sure there aren't any fungus issues that will be near impossible to get out. Other than that, if you can get a good deal and want to give it a try - go for it!

4. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I use the 45mm and it's a terrific lens - sharp and good contrast; I like the bokeh as well. The challenge with these lenses is that they have to be focused by the adaptor. Mine has a little thumb wheel but there are others that have a ring around the adaptor that you turn like most manual lenses - that might work better. Metabones makes the best one.

I can use the 45 pretty comfortably, but I've found the 90mm too fussy and stiff in focusing to be worth it. I haven't used the 35mm. I understand that the 28mm can be made to work if you remive the flanges at the back of the lens - I haven't wanted to that to mine, so I can't speak to that as anything more than a possibility. I think the 45mm is definetely worth exploring, it's a lens with a lot of character, but it takes some patience!

5. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here' a recent shot I took with the 45mm lens. It gives you some idea . . .

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50328929@N00/7967890934/" title="P9083952 by verreplein, on Flickr"> 7967890934_d619137c40_z. "640" height="480" alt="P9083952"></a>

Check out the image thread for the lens.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've seen quite a few NEX users use them so I figure they'll work on µ4/3 bodies too :smile:

I myself have a couple too but I only use mine for the body below.....:smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/32299138@N08/6601343015/" title="Contax G1 Rangefinder With Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm ƒ2 T* Lens by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr"> 6601343015_1af239f6e0_z. "640" height="456" alt="Contax G1 Rangefinder With Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm ƒ2 T* Lens"></a>

7. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
  8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    I had a 35, 45, and a 90mm at one point. Loved all three of them but the 45mm stood out. When I decided to downsize, I had a hard tome letting go of them, and the main reason I finally did was that all the adapters I tried were a bit fiddly. They pictures are brilliant and beautifully sharp, but using the lenses on anything that is moving can be a bit of a hassle. I am sure that practice will help a lot.

Stefan

9. SVG-HK

SVG-HK Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Valeriy
    I use Contax Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/28mm CY mount. Really happy with performance and results. Pic below for reference. Camera E-M5.

[​IMG]

10. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica mount lenses are fine and quite nice on m4/3. Adapters are simple and relatively easy to adjust for infinity, etc.

Carl Zeiss Contax G mount lenses are more difficult and generally not worth the trouble IMHO unless you already have a set.

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    It's not that tricky actually. I had difficulty the first time around but after that it seems so simple and easy. But, the adapter quality matters. I am currently using the Contax G35 and G90 on my Nex-5 than the OM-D for the following reasons:

(i) The adapter that I got from adorama is bad. Really really bad. It's a kipon adapter but it was sold to me as a adorama's re-branded version. The couple of times I used the adapter, I couldn't get the lens off it because the switch/knob to dismount the lens does not dis-engage completely.

(ii) The same switch/knob mentioned in point (i) grazes the surface, the slightly protruding part which mimicks the penta-prism.

With Nex, I don't have these issues and the fact that fotodiox adapter is a much much better adapter than the kipon one makes me stick to this combo. So far, I am loving it. I think I finally see why people like 50mm (35mm EFL) FL. It's so natural. And the Contax G90 is pretty awesome too. Couple it with an achromat and you have a very capable macro rig.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.