Contax RF lens on M4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Pablo, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Pablo

Pablo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2014
    Happy holidays to everyone!
    I thought about getting one of those c mount lenses that are said to cover the whole image circle, like this one, because even though I have dozens of adaptable K mount lenses they are very uncomfortable to use with the large adapter. Then I though about a different approach, the Jupiter 8M I have attached to my spool-less Kiev 4 (Contax II copy) is supposed to be pretty good and the flange focal distance is much shorter than K mount and also of much smaller diameter.
    Now to the problem - I did find a few adapters on ebay like this one that claim to work but state "(outer bayonet)" and there is no picture of the side of the adapter where the lens is mounted. and it also states "Allows focusing to infinity(with focal length over than 50mm)".

So what am I missing?

there is also this much more expensive adapter that looks different states "Allows focusing to infinity", and this one that is much more expensive and is really a Kiev mount connected to a cheap adapter but I really don't know what I gain from it, except good looks.

Any help will be much appreciated :smile:

btw, this is the lens:
    Jupiter-8M.

Pablo

2. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Try the following search term on Ebay, less than 40 bucks should get you sorted:

contax focusing adapter micro four thirds

3. Pablo

Pablo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2014
  4. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Whoops, sorry!

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The Contax RF cameras, and the Kiev copies along with the Nikon RF cameras that share the mount, have two separate lens mounts, the inner mount and the outer mount. 50mm lenses use the inner mount and all others use the outer mount. 50mm lenses lack any focusing heilical. That is provided by the body's inner mount. Outer mount lenses provide their own focusing helicoid and couple to the bodies inner mount only as a means of connecting to the rangefinder.

To adapt a 50mm Contax/Kiev/Nikon RF lens you need an adapter that supports the inner mount and has its own helicoid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pablo

Pablo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2014
    Well I guess that's that then, too bad.

Thanks.

7. emergo

emergo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2010
    Colorado
    Erik
    another option would be to pick up a Jupiter 8 in M39 mount - there are hundreds on ebay for as cheap as $10 or $20. the M39 to M4/3 adapters are cheap, too. that would open you up to a pretty large selection of inexpensive Russian M39 lenses, like the Industar 26m, Industar 61, Industar 50 or if you want to spend more, the Jupiter 3 50mm f1.5, which has amazing image quality. I've compared images from the Jupiter 3 to those of the Olympus 45mm, and I would bet you could not tell them apart. But that one can come at a premium price (although there's on on ebay right now with a current bid of $15...). in some cases, you can find the O45 cheaper

• Like Like x 1