Contax G lens adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BillN, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Hello Bill...

I just took receipt of one yesterday, attached to a CZ Sonnar 90 courtesy of our own Jonas Bath.

I have both a Fotodiox and a geared Kipon, and they operate off the little wheel concept.

This just-added focusing adapter for the Contax G series lenses by Zeiss and pictured below, which I think is pretty close to what you are looking at, operates on the big wheel concept, giving far more leverage and control. It also has a much more solid feel to it than the other two, which I fear will self destruct at any moment... the Fotodiox is now permanently attached to my CZ45.. I cannot un-mount it. The Kipon runs around on other G lenses.... in fact it was mounted a Planar 35 to take this shot.

No adapter for the G's is perfect, so don't get your hopes up too high. But this one seems like it may be the ticket. Let's put it this way: I wish I had three of them.

Bokeh Diem

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Bokeh

The wait for the US one is quite long and I think that it would cost £100, (US$150 - I always have to do the conversion for you lot!), minimum delivered to the UK/France, and it has that small "wheel" which cannot be a good design concept, (IMHO)

This Chinese one looks a "better" concept and I think that I will give it a try - I have quite a few legacy lenses - using them is slow, I have bought quite a few adapters and I do find the SLR ones more pleasing than the RF ones, (exception is the 13.5cm RF Nikon - but I have still got to get a shot in perfect focus), so I am not hoping for much with the Contax G Lenses

I need to buy a EP 2 with an EVF 2 to settle the score once and for all - but my considered view would be stick to M43 dedicated lenses, (apart from the Canon or Nikkor SLR macros), BUT Oly and Panasonic certainly know how to charge for their plastic offerings - the cost aspect of M43 is really an annoyance for me and I am really considering reverting back to my D300, selling all my M43 stuff and buying a Leica, (and S90)

Profit greed, (after all most of their stuff is now made in Chinese "sweat shops"), always ruins any situation, (but a Leica is a Leica), and I think that Oly and Pana M43 greed, particularly from Oly, is turning me off the format, (a quite ridiculous price for a viewfinder), - I will give it a few more months, but I reckon that I should have gone the M8 route had I wanted to compliment the DSLR format.

Just my thoughts

4. Bokeh Diem

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I dunno Bill.. I have bought around twenty-three lenses, adapters for all brands, two cameras, flashes, wireless transmitters and all the accoutrements and bags over the last three months for about half the price of what an M9 and a few Leica lenses would cost. I use it as a system in the field, with some lenses left over for my personal fun.

The last lens to show up this morning in the post was a brand new in the box 50mm Minolta MD Rokkor Macro lens, never opened. Cost me $175 dollars. It had been sitting in a warehouse for two and a half decades, waiting for me.

I wouldn't take a Leica out on the street unless I was using it as a handbag, dressed in a plunging sequined top.

Bokeh Diem

5. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Leica don't do Metallic Blue which must be your colour - with a few sequins!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    The Nikon F-Mount 135mm F3.5, even through the AIS series, is the same optical formula as the RF Mount 13.5cm F3.5 introduced ~1950. The lenses after 1973 or so are multicoated. I have a number of them ranging from Chrome LTM mount, all-black Contax RF Mount, late-black S-Mount, and AIS series F-Mount. I believe it might be the last of the popular true Sonnar formula lenses that Nikon produced. The 105 and 135/2.8 left the Sonnar formula in the early 70s.

I had my Leica M8 and the EP2 out on the street this weekend. They both fit nicely in a Nikon field bag. Jupiter-3 on the M8, modified for close-focus and a Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.4 on the EP2.

The M8 in its Leica Half-Case

[​IMG]

Fits nicely in this Leather case with Velvet interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fits a Nikkor-PC 10.5cm F2.5 with hood. Also fits this custom-converted Zeiss Sonnar.

I prefer my Nikons in Black or Brown cases,

[​IMG]

but Burgundy seems to match the F3's. Why is that? Maybe the Auto function?

[​IMG]

7. Aldrin

Aldrin New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2010
    Hi,

Just wonder if you have had any more time to test the pictured adapter. I am thinking of buying a Panasonic GF 1 w the 20 mm and it would be wonderful if I also could use my Contax G45 and G90 on the Panasonic with reasonable handling and result. So, quite keen to hear how you find this adapter.

//Aldrin
    www.hakanaldrin.com

8. Bokeh Diem

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    This adapter, once worked in, performs well. The circumferential focus ring provides very good control, and the whole thing is well made.

Bokeh D

9. uusunn

uusunn Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010
    Hey. I was in the same boat as you.. hunting for a Contax G adapter.

A member 'lasjas' (of this forum) is selling Metabones (Japanese.. versus the Chinese adapters that have been all over eBay) Contax G - M43 adapters.. seems to be extremely reputable on build quality with other adapters. One thing that really caught my eye was the 'normality' of the focus ring. It looks more finished as an adapter, imo. Just bought it.. I hope to receive it in the next week.

10. The Nomad

The Nomad New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2010
    Paris - France
    I did the same: I bought this new Metabones Contax G adapter from Lasjas and am waiting for it to test my Contax lenses on my E-P2. I already bought from him a Metabones Leica M adapter which is extremely well done, better than another cheaper one I bought previously on Ebay.
    I really think that good legacy lenses as Leica and Contax ones deserve the best to operate perfectly and for a long time on our 4/3 bodies.

Best regards to all

Jean-Jacques "The Nomad"