Contax G adapter help?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by arpoador, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Folks -

I need some help here, and since many of you are familiar with the Contax G mount lenses, I'm hoping one of you will reply.

I have recently purchased a really beautiful little 45mm CZ Planar T* lens for the Contax G mount. I also purchased Lasjas' Metabones adapter (with his µ4/3 forum discount).

But I can't get them to fit together properly. I just can't tell wether the problem is with the lens, the adapter, or my own incompetence. (Or, to be generous, unfamiliarity.) I place the lens on the adapter, turn the ring on the lens as far as it will go, then flick the adapter lock to the "Lock" position. I've taken a few test shots (and I already love the glass), but I won't be able to use it freely ... because a gentle nudge will knock the lens off of the mount. The lens mount ring also moves freely, even though the adapter is in the Locked position. In effect, the "Lock" mechanism is not locking.

Until it is mounted on the adapter, the aperture ring on the lens is offset from the display value indicator mark by about 10º. Once it is on the adapter, the offset is only 5º. This suggests that the correct position would be a bit "farther" into the adapter, to get the indicator and aperture to line up appropriately.

Does anyone have any insight into this situation?

Thanks in advance!

- josé

2. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I do not have the Metabone adapter, but the Kipon adapter, but I guess the mechanism is the same. First you line up the male screw of the adapter with the female screw of the lens, holding the lens by the black base firmly against the adapter, and turn the silver part just right above the black base clockwise until it clicks. If you mount it correctly, the aperture indication should be correct (wide open at F2 rather than at somewhere between F8 and F2) Hope that the Metabones work similarly too.

3. jrosen2

jrosen2 New to Mu-43

May 29, 2010
    I and others have had the exact same problem with their adapter. Look here:
    Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone? - Page 16 - The GetDPI Photography Forums

It takes a lot of fiddling to get it on. If it is not seated perfectly, you run the risk of the lens falling off. Send him an email and complain about the fit. I did and if others do, maybe they will fix it. I am on my second one, the first had jerky focus and was also tough to get on.

It is NOT your lens.

The Kipon adapter with a focus ring (not the focus wheel) attaches like butter.

4. Mooch

Mooch New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2010
    I have the exact same problem unfortunately. Maybe it's a recent bad batch? I bought mine last Wednesday and it arrived today. I have tried fitting it with both my 28mm and 45mm. Neither work. Looking at the adapter from the camera side I can quite clearly see the "latch" on the adapter needs to go another 5mm or so until it will actually click into place. However, no matter how much force I apply, it will not move any further :(

5. Hi jrosen2, Mooch -

I sent an email to Lasjas, and he replied with a link to a nice video clip, that instructs you on how to attach the lens to the adapter. OK. The adapter itself came with a nice booklet that does the same.

I had to travel last weekend (got back yesterday), but was planning to record a video showing the problem. I hope to do so this weekend.

6. Folks -

I mentioned here that I would record a video clip describing the problem I encountered. I've posted it here:

Explanation Video Clip

If anyone can find a flaw in my technique, I would appreciate hearing the correction.

- josé

7. Success!

My replacement Metabones adapter arrived today (just four days after he received the original? wow!).

I was originally a bit concerned because Lasjas said that adapter I returned worked fine on his 90mm, because in several weeks I completely failed to make it work on my 45mm.

The replacement adapter works beautifully! :)

It went on smoothly the very first time I tried, and fits like a glove. In fact, it was so easy that at first I thought I hadn't pushed all the way. I actually had to check to see that the lock tab & slot matched, then I locked it and the lens stayed on.

Now that I have a copy that works, I realize that the Metabones is -much- better than the Kipon. First it has a wider grip region, that is much easier to turn and control. Makes focusing much better than on the slippery Kipon. In addition, the Kipon lock release lever is designed to be in -exactly- the wrong spot. It blocks access to the lens release button on the Lumix G2, making it harder to take the lens (and adapter assembly) off of the camera.

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I have a Metabones which I received a few days ago - it's quite a big lump of metal but mine fitted quickly and the instructions that he provides are quite straightforward.
    The only problem I have is that the adaptor focus ring goes well beyond infinity, (i.e. it focuses beyond infinity and the image is a blur). This mean that you have to focus at infinity and it make quick shots at infinity time consuming.

Overall I am reasonably pleased as it means that I can use the 45 f2 that I have.

Here is one of the first shots

EP-1 - Contax 45mm f2 1/40sec at f8 ISO200

leaves.