1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Contax G 45mm or...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by greenandgold, Mar 26, 2011.

1. greenandgold

greenandgold Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    Wondering if anyone has experience with both the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 and the Contax G 45mm f/2. I have a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 which is soft below f/2.8. I am thinking of selling it and getting a Contax G 45mm f/2, which I have heard is pretty sharp wide open but also about $200-$300 more on eBay.

Is the Contax noticeably sharper, and worth the extra $$? Or would I be better off keeping my Canon lens and spending my money on a Panasonic 14mm f/2.8 or Metz 44 AF-1 flash.

BTW, I already have a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and VF-2, and $300 is what I have to spend.

2. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i've been wondering the same thing. a friend of mine told me about the contax and they swear by it. he's a leica m9 owner as well as a nex-5. i got my 50mm 1.4 (which i should be getting sometime this week) . bought from a fellow member. we'll see how this manual lens works out. but i've been eyeing that contax as well.

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    The Contax G 45 is a good lens for M4/3, very sharp, small size, that "3D-ish" Contax look. Make sure you get a good well engineered adapter for it because the Contax G was autofocus it needs a special focusing adapter.

4. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Well the contax G lenses are every bit as good as you think they are, but I can't imagine them being very quick to manually focus as you have turn a small dial on an adapter. That would be a real issue with large hands like mine.

I'm very happy with my FD 50mm f/1.4 it's not the best at 1.4 but it's great by 2.0. I have the new FD version right now but I have an older SSC version coming in because I wanted to compare the two.

5. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    I have both and sold both.
    G45 is very sharp and high resolution very good colors, very good contrast.
    Fd 50/1.4 is less sharp but certainly sharpens from f2 onwards like most legacy lens.
    If speed, both to manual focus and low light is required in what u shoot, 50/1.4. As mentioned by some others, g45 requires a good adaptor in order to mf well. I used 2 versions before, one is kipon small thumbwheel type which I dun like fingers get numb after a while, the other is a metabones version which is much better a 360deg wheel, but it makes the lens looks bulky.

Hope that helps.
    LP

6. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Can you show an image of the adapted lens on the camera?

Edit: nvm, I had no idea the metabones adapter was setup that way. If I had some Contax G lenses I would be all over that!

Still very happy with all my FD glass though, especially the 35 f/2

7. What version FD lens do you have? The new FD (nFD, FDn) bayonet mount 50/1.4 should be very sharp at less than maximum aperture. I haven't had an earlier breech-lock FD 50/1.4 that matches the newer version.

8. greenandgold

greenandgold Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Nic, my lens is an older breech-lock lens.

9. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I have both lens. Got the g with metabones. I'm living it so far. I got the fd ssc version before the contax and I was very impressed with it. I got the contax because I wanted something smaller and from what everyone said about it. I do think the contax is much sharper. Not 6x times price wise sharper.

10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Anyone have some full size portrait shots they'd be willing to share with the G 45/2, preferably wide open? I'm quite interested I. This lens, but I've only been able to find web reduced shots.

11. uusunn

uusunn Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010
    Purchased the Contax G after I saw an extremely sharp photo taken with it on Flickr. I shot a portrait in this thread with a Contax G Zeiss 45/2 (portrait): https://www.mu-43.com/f57/closing-semester-portrait-featuring-friend-11769/

This was actually just a crop of a larger photo, but even then at 100% you barely notice any flaws. Hope this helps. I'm using a metabones adapter alongside.

I've also got a few photos of my camera with the adapter here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynesun/4840805697/in/set-72157624610045534

12. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Great portrait Wayne. How do you find focusing with the adapter ring?

13. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I have the metabones as well. In general focusing with this lens needs a bit of practice. It's very clicky at certain points. But after about a week or two. I'm getting the hang of it.

14. uusunn

uusunn Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words. Focusing was rough to begin with, but it's definitely smoother now. My method is just click down the 'exposure wheel' (?) and getting a 100% view of the detail/adjust the focus accordingly. Using this on a tripod is best! The metabones adapter is kind of large, so I try to go with a quick release plate + Gorillapod for low-profile shots for better focusing clearance.