1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Contax G 45mm F2: diafragm numbers misaligned

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by txomin, May 5, 2010.

1. txomin

txomin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Bilbao, Spain
    With diafragm full opened, it is betwen 5,6 and 8, and when I full close, it goes some clicks after 16. Is it normal? I'm waiting the adapter, so I can't try it.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    No, this is not normal.
    There may be a small screw on the ring.
    Loosen it slightly and then you can align the ring to the fstop.

3. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Don't tamper with the lens. It's fully normal. When you mount the lens and the adapter everything will be fine and as expected. This has to do with the somewhat complicayed mount Contax made for the G series cameras and lenses. You are not really twisting the lens when mounting it but rather the first ring (= the ring most close to the mount) when mounting it.

So, wait for the adapter and don't worry.

/Jonas

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbloewen

dbloewen New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2010
    I noticed the same thing on a Contax G 45mm f2 I recently purchases. I am waiting for the adapter also. The seller advised me that the apparent misalignment of the aperture ring is normal and will correct itself when mounted. He also emphasizes not to mount the lens by holding it near the base where that black hump is (the mechanism that hold the focusing screw).
    *HOLD THE LENS BY THE KERNELLED RING JUST ABOVE THE BASE when you mount it or you can damage it. I have check elsewhere on the web to confirm this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Oh goodness no don't do that!!!!!!

I once bought one incredibly cheap because the seller thought this was not normal...

6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    very normal for the lens when not mounted..... DO
    NOT MESS WITH THE SCREW..........

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    As always...disregard anything I say......

• Like Like x 1
  8. dbloewen

dbloewen New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2010
    Not at all. This is one of those oddball lens constructions that you don't come across very often:redface:.

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I kinda thought is was similar to old Leica lenses.....I fixed many of then back in the day...

10. dbloewen

dbloewen New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    it is normal , when it is locked into an adapter or a contax g1 or 2 it will read and work correctly!

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze...my "62" Jupiter 8 doesn't even do that...

13. dbloewen

dbloewen New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2010
    btw how do you like the Jupiter 8? If you don't want to sidetrack this thread please email me at dbloewen@gmail.com

14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's not a sidetrack...we're all shooters here...
    Besides, the Jupiter can be adjusted in about 30 seconds....
    The Copy I have which I've had since the early 70's is great. It's about the smallest 50mm you can find. It's not a Summicron, It's not a Summilux...it's about as good as an old Summarit.
    I like it....in fact I like it more now than I ever did. Digitally it's really a nice compact performer.
    Besides my wife is Russian and she loves when I use it....
    It works best without filters on front...not much flare...contrast is very pleasing...
    a little soft wide open on the edges but clears up at 2.8 and at 4.0...beautiful....
    No click stops so on the Pens..it's great just to stop down and watch your DOF come to where you want it...
    I never know what fstop I'm at but it's what I see that matters not the math....

shooter

• Like Like x 1
  15. txomin

txomin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Bilbao, Spain
    So, thanks to all. I get it.

16. next61

next61 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    I thought the same when I got my 45 from KEH but after I spoke with them, it was clear that the f-stops will align... I pulled my screwdriver for an "adjustment" and I stopped just in time, before I "fix it"!