1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Contax 90mm f2.8 compared to FD equivalents - anyone?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pellicle, Mar 17, 2015.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

seeing as the Contax lenses are getting quite cheap (ok, relatively) these days I'm often wondering if the 90mm f2.8 would make a better lens than and FD?

I used to have the OM 100mm f2.8 (sold it) which I liked, but have sold. I am wondering about getting something in that range and wondered if anyone had done a comparison.

It may be that I just re-buy another OM 100f2.8

Thanks

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You know about the weird adapter and focusing on the Contax G lenses, right? That's the only reason the Contax G 90mm isn't crazy expensive.

My favorite 100mm in terms of price/optics/size ratio is the Nikon 100mm Series E.

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    ahh ... no I didn't ... good to know!

I was beginning to talk myself into one of the bodies too ... for black and white (35mm) stuff. I reckon I'll just stick to my OM-1 ;-)

Thanks for that info!

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well in case you haven't googled it by now, you need a relatively expensive adapter that incorporates the focusing ring. The Contax G system did not have manual focus rings on any of their lenses and it could only be done eletronically through the body. Reviews on focusing with the adapters is not very positive. But if you look on flickr, etc for the results you see why some people bother. It is a Zeiss after all.

I almost ordered one not too long ago and when I saw that the adapter said, "includes focusing ring" I thought i better look more closely into it.

That black ring by the mount is what you focus with!

CxG_m43_5.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2