Contax 50mm f/1.4 vs Olympus MZuiko 45mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Simone, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Simone

Simone Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Dear all,
    I'm tempted in selling my Contax Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 I use with an adapter on my GX1 and buy the acclaimed Olympus MZuiko f/1.8. Suggestions?
    I love the manual focus ring for videos... but I hate it when taking pictures (too slow, without EVF I need to zoom in). It's heavy.

Problems with an Olympus lens on a Panasonic camera?

2. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    It's a great lens, and you won't have any problems using it on the GX1, except you won't have image stabilization. But then you don't have that with the Contax Zeiss 50 either.
  3. Simone

Simone Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Vignetting is corrected using Oly lenses on Pana bodies? AF is functioning and fast?
  4. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Af is super fast on that lens, I use it on my GX1, posted a pic up in the GX1 thread using it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Just be sure to get the black one ;) Go ahead, the 45mm Zuiko is a top brass lens. Super sharp even wide open, magnificent rendering, no noticeable aberrations to speak of (you won't have to worry about vignetting or CA - there's not much to correct in the first place), and the bokeh is just gorgeous.

It's not commonly mentioned, but I also find this is the focal length that gives the best results when used with Panasonic's flexible pop-up flash bounced off the ceiling.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Simone

Simone Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Thanks guys! My Zeiss is on sale on ebay! Cross fingers...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  7. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    The problem with most of the legacy glass (with all, I can assume) is resolution. They were made for film. Good legacy glass have resolution between 30 to 40 lines per mm in the center. And since the image circle provided by the lens is twice as large as micro four thirds sensor, in the end you get half of the lens resolution on your mu43 sensor. Now compare it to 70 (if I'm not mistaken) lines per mm with Zuiko 45mm. It's hard to beat. This lens is not only super fast and super sharp. It outresolves most of the contemporary high end glass on DSLRs. No legacy glass can compare to it. Unless you are looking for a shallower DOF but softer image. And consider the price ... this is simply a must have lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The 45/1.8 is a bit of a no-brainer if that focal length works for you. But for me, it still doesn't have the rendering or character of the Contax 50/1.4 (which is the last 50 I would sell if forced - and I have 5 in total). I'm hoping to breathe some new life into it with an A7r, because I'm not a huge fan of the FOV with a 2x crop, but love it on FF.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Simone

Simone Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    It seems more difficult than expected to sell my lens on ebay! 257€
  10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I would suggest differently. The shootout Spatulaboy did between the Minolta 45/2, the Olympus and the Panasonic had over half of the people guessing wrong on which lens took what picture. And they were all at f2 or 2.8. So legacy glass can compare from a IQ perspective.