Consumer Reports STILL loves the Olympus E-5

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by DeeJayK, Jun 11, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I was thumbing through a copy of the July 2013 issue of Consumer Reports magazine last night when I noticed something that struck me as a bit odd. They had the Olympus E-5 (Four Thirds) listed as their second highest scoring DSLR:

CR_2013-07_OlympusE-5.

Now CR is never going to be the first place I look for cutting-edge camera reviews, but they do base their ratings primarily on objective measurements rather than subjective "feelings". I just found it interesting given the rate of innovation in the industry that a 12 MP camera that was introduced more than two years ago would still be sitting so near the top of the heap. Then as I dug into a bit more, I noticed that all of their top four DSLR were introduced in late 2010 - early 2011, so perhaps they just haven't looked at the segment lately.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have found Consumer Reports to be woefully lacking in electronic innovations. People would come into where I worked all the time, asking about printers and computers that had been replaced by a newer model (usually at least 6 months ago). They just don't seem to go to print fast enough, or don't product test cutting edge designs.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is resolutely true. Their type of long-term, controlled environment testing doesn't really lend itself to the quicker product cycles in the electronics industry. I would definitely follow their advice when it comes to things like appliances, lawnmowers and suncreen, but not so much on electronics.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Agreed!

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.