Considering the E-PL1

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by flipGTO, Mar 9, 2010.

1. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Should I get rid of my GF1 for the E-PL1? With the E-PL1, I gain wireless flash, in-body IS, and the novelty art filters, but are there any other advantages? Would I be losing anything other than AVCHD lite video and a better styling if I give up my GF1?
  2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well, the question is do you need or would you like the features you mention? I've sometimes asked myself the same questions and answered "no". I rarely use flash but find the the inbulit one on the GF1 useful on occasion - and I'd miss that. I also usethe EVF on the GF1 a LOT, so the only thing that might get me moving would be the E-PL2.

Horses for courses :smile:
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a tough call. I would say that if you are on the fence, don't switch, because there is always something better around the corner.

As far as what you give up in going from Pana to E-PL1, you are likely to lose a small amount of AF speed, your max shutter speed would be 1/2000s instead of 1/4000s, and you are going to a lower res LCD.

Personally, I find the E-PL1 very appealing. I've come close to ordering one a couple of times!
  4. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey

I am also deliberating. I was thinking of trading my GH1 for an EP2 but now I am wavering as the IQ of other poster's images has been excellent from the EPL-1. I really need a good viewfinder, the ability to use my Oly M4/3 lens selection and IBIS. I have no need of video capability. Anyone else having the same thoughts?
  5. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    I have sold my GF-1 body "kept the 20mm lens:)" for an EP-1, Why
    1-image stabilization
    2-Colors, I am not a RAW shooter and olympus jpgs out of the camera are much more pleasing compared to panasonic jpg processing, olympus has nice skin tones and colors to die for, even better than my D700 nikon camera, with the panasonic i had to import everything into lightroom and convert to get good results, panasonic jpgs have weird interpretation of blue and green... OK, lets not start a platform war here, but honestly, if you are a jpg person who needs nice colors, it is worth it!

Cons: olympus autofocus is a tad slower than the panasonic...

one more, Dont know about the ep-l1 flash, but the GF-1 flash was a bit overpowering and tasteless , even when you set the power from the camera, i rarely used it

"Disclaimer: this is just my one sided, honest opinion, i am sure lot of people might disagree..."
  6. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    EP1/2 colours

I agree with you regarding the jpeg output from the EP1/2. I forgot about that point:redface: I am not very skilled with pp and was looking forward to just getting on with the picture taking part!
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm interested in seeing one of these cameras up close and really getting a feel for it. Not that I'm considering it for myself unless I ended up "lending" my E-P2 to our daughter...but we're not going down that road yet. I'm still interested in seeing one and I really hope more E-PL1 owners will comment about the camera and post photos.... But I digress. Sorry Flip - no experience with any Panasonic cameras.
  8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Depends on if flash is important.

Depends on how simple your shooting style is.

I have both the GF1 and E-P2 the E-PL1 has less appeal to me in terms of ergonomics.

All the above camera's are best with small lenses in terms of balance and handling.
    Near almost pocket size with a small lens (Pancake)

Lets ignore AF and LCD resolution for the moment....

To me the E-P2 is the most appealing of the 3 (IBIS + EVF) the jpeg output the Retro look excellent controls, followed by the GF1 (LCD excellent controls), with the E-PL1 last.

For quality output and small size you can't beat the E-PL1 tho' (look at canondude's images)

Hard decision
  9. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I have an E-3 and E-30 and only shoot jpeg unless I'm getting paid for the event. The wireless flash abilities is very useful on both cameras and I'm still wondering why Panasonic hasn't caught up with Olympus on this. I'm going to give the GF1 a little bit longer for now and hope a local store gets the E-PL1 in to test out in person.
  10. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I had an opportunity to try out the E-PL1 courtesy of a friend who picked one up recently from Ritz Camera in my area. My personal interest is trying to decide on which 4/3 model of those now available I want to buy to carry when I want something smaller than my current DSLR. I am also considering downsizing altogether at some point, perhaps when the G2 is available around May/June.

Most of the good and bad points are more than adequately outlined here in this forum so I won't waste time rehashing them. I will say that it took great jpgs images both inside and out using the kit lens, as well as a pana 20mm. The sole reason I have crossed this off my list is the interface and need to set/change everything primarily from the d-pad. I used the Oly advance setting screens but still found myself wishing it had at least one scroll wheel especially when trying to quickly changing aperture and shutter settings. It did not bother me at first, but as I tried to do some more creative manual changes it started to bother me more. There will be many that will not have the same reservations that I do, and regardless, I am sure that this will be a very successful camera as it gets wider-distribution and availability to the mass market that Olympus is targeting.
  11. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

Hi there
    Greetings from SLC
    I just spent a week in D.C. and surrounding areas with a brand new E-PL1, asw well as my GF1 and M9
    I shot both the GF1 and E-PL1 with the Oly 14-45mm stock lens as well as the 17mm lens.
    All images from the East Cost trip were shot in Raw format and imported into LR2 or LR3 Beta.
    Minimal WB or/and tonal adjustments were done - "blow outs" were corrected. So which one is the "best"?
    I love them all
    The E-PL1 and GF1 easily fit in a pocket, can come along bike rides and on a long D.C. jogging tour.
    Can you decide which images look the best? I can't - I feel these cams really compliment each other.

Steve Huff is in love with the E-PL1 and he is a huge Leica fan:

We'll see what his final verdict is ... I will keep my GF1 which I truly love (especially with the 45-200 Lumix lens), I will keep the E-PL1 which does equally well (not better in RAW) and for sure my Leica...

I shot a lot of movie clips in High Def (not AVCHD) for my kid to edit .. not using AVCHD has the advantage that any kid can edit on any computer without specialized software. I will let you know on the quality once the editing is done - I haven't checked yet on footage nor sound - the GF1 has done well enough in the past that I sold my HiDef camcorders and my DVX100 ...

Anyways ... my 5 cents :smile:
  12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much Michael - you've got some super photos in there - really nicely done in low light, too!

I did end up buying the E-PL1 and sold my E-P2 body, keeping the EVF and am very pleased with my decision. Now I can add your mini review, go read Steve Huff's and continue on using the camera and being quite happy.
  13. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I'd have to give a slight reality check to Steve's usual gushing style... the 17mm f2.8 is not a stellar lens optically - it's got a great perspective, really light and compact but requires distortion/CA correction.

However, the 20mm f1.7 on the E-PL1 sings... a great complement to the also excellent mZD 14-42mm lens kit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I agree with Brian on the Panny 20mm f1.7. It sings choruses on the PL1 indeed. Definitely speeds up the focus (like it's instant) and provides amazingly sharp corner to corner images devoid of bad habits. Solid and nice and small as well. I have a feeling on my next trip it may occupy most of the time on the body.