Considering Sigma prime in add'n to Oly 45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Desert_B, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    New owner of G5. Kit lens is quite annoying -- the rough mechanism seems to be giving me a nervous twitch! So, mainly shooting with Oly 45/1.8 which is a fantastic lens, but the focal length is a bit long for an everyday walk-around type of lens.

On a tight budget at present, so am considering Sigma 30/2.8 or 19/2.8.

Wondering if the Sigma 30 would still be too telephoto (not enough different from Oly 45), and also if the Sigma 19 would be too wide to capture a nice shot of my kids without distorting their faces.

Would appreciate comments from those in the know. Not that experienced with primes, so it's taking me a while to get a good feel for them.
  2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I sold my 30mm recently after getting the 45mm -- the focal lengths are fairly close for most purposes. You might be better off getting the 19mm just for more variety.

The 19mm doesn't have much distortion, it is better than the kit lens IMO, and better than the Panasonic 14mm or older Oly 17mm from what I've seen.

You have and ideal portrait lens already with the 45mm, the 19mm would add something closer to the normal human view.
  3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I've recently bought a Panasonic 20mm (practically the same FL as Sigma 19mm) and am very pleased with the FL in terms of distortion - much more pleasant output than the 14mm in this area, and barely distinguishable from the Sigma 30mm in my opinion. I really like the Sigma 30mm, and guess the 19mm would be very similar, except it's bigger.
  4. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    The Sigma 19 doesn't have any distortion. I use it and the 30 to do full length shots of vintage clothing and it is perfect. Nice and sharp.
  5. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Terrific information. Thank you.
  6. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    A somewhat related question -- my friend is expecting a baby and wants to get an additional lens for her G5 (budget is a big concern) to capture hospital moments and new baby moments. Do you think the Sigma 19 or Sigma 30 would be better for her?
  7. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Better than what lens? The kit? The Sigma lenses are nice and sharp, they don't have OIS and not super fast but you'd probably want to shoot around f2 - f3.5 to maintain some level of DoF if taking two people of different sizes anyway.
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd say never get the Sigma 19 but get the Panasonic 20. And, if this helps:

I use an $18 28mm legacy lens and it come out to a long "normal" 56mm. I do NOT need to step back when using this lens. This is nearly the same FL as the Sigma 30.

I use a few $25 50mm legacy lenses. I find this too LONG for a lot of shots and need to step back some.

As you can see, this 28 and 50 are different enough to me for me to say different things about them. Therefore I'm planning to buy both the 45 in addition to the cheap 30 because they ARE that different IMHO.
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Desert-B I have the 45mm but also use the Sigma30mm indoors (complimentary indeed) for a definitely wider field of view and reliable faster autofocus in dim light. It would also suit your friend.
    The Sigma 19mm would suit you, but so would a used Lumix 20mm or mZuiko17mmF2.8 ... and that mZuiko is being sold on the forums very cheaply right now as it comes free with a couple of camera offers ...
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    19-20mm works well for 'environmental portraiture'. 35mm on full-frame (17.5 in MFT terms) also works just find for this purpose, although you can get some perspective distortion if you get too close, which is also true for the 20 or the 19. This is simply a feature of focal length and is present even in lenses that have 'no distortion' (which these don't, far as I can tell, like Droogie says).

As examples, both of these (of me, shot by girlfriend) were shot with the 20/1.7 at different distances, and work fine. A head/shoulders only portrait on the 20 (or a 19) would likely lead to some perspective oddness that isn't entirely pleasing. A 45/50mm lens or longer is better for that.

PB063763_1_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

P7202085_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr