Considering renting/buying a lens for an upcoming beach trip.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DeoreDX, May 1, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm leaving my Nikon gear at home for an upcoming beach trip and plan on taking my E-PM1 as my only camera for an upcoming trip to the beach. Right now I only have the 14-42mkii, the VF3, and a M43-Nikkor F adapter which I might bring my 55/3.5 Macro since it's fairly small. I'm considering one of three options:

#1 Renting a lens I would probably never buy for myself specifically for this trip. Meaning more expensive models like the 12-35/2.8 or the 12/2.0 or 25/1.8. Since I'm losing at least two stops of sensor performance from my E-PM1 to my Nikon I wouldn't mind gaining a little of that back with a faster lens. I like the idea of the versatility of the 12-35/2.8 but I'm worried that the 12-35 wouldn't balance too well on the small E-PM1. It's slightly bigger and heavier than my 55 Micro Nikkor and that already makes the E-PM1 feel slightly out of balance.

#2 Picking up a sub $200 lens. $200 is a hard ceiling that I won't go over so that 20/1.7 is just outside of that. I've seen several used 17/2.8's go for less than $150. 14/2.5's can be had for less then $200 with regularity. The Sigmas could be had for that. I don't see myself using a telephoto so I haven't really looked at the sun $200 telephotos, I rarely use my 80-200/2.8 Nikkor as it is. I could pick up a 12-50 for right at $200 from a friend. That would give me a little extra width and a little extra zoom and macro all in one.

#3 Just save my money cause the 14-42MKII is a great little kit lens and I won't need any extra light gathering ability on the beach.

I think I have several options I would be happy really with any of them. Just looking for some second opinions to help me make my decision.

2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    As a former Nikon user who recently sold off his D300 and all his lenses I like the kit lens. I used the kit lens only with my E-P3 for almost a year before I added any other lenses.

If you are thinking of renting a lens go for it. You are not committing a lot of funds to a rental. Now the 12-35 lens is not going to balance well on your camera. And since you are leaving your Nikon gear I guess you are looking for a light kit. Try renting 1 or 2 of theses lenses, Olympus 9-18mm, 12mm, 17mm or the Panasonic 25 or 20mm lenses. I would probably go for 9-18 more versatile than the 12mm and a fast prime. I love the 12mm but it really need the hood in the daytime.

3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    For the f2.8 zooms, how sunny is the weather gonna be? You may find yourself having to stop down from f2.8 anyhow.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My initial response is that you've pretty well nailed it with option #3.

Assuming you're just looking to capture vacation shots of the family, the kit lens should serve you quite well at the beach.

I could go for #1 if you simply want to test out the 12-35 for potential future purchase, but if you don't think you'll ever buy it, then the value just really isn't there - the kit lens should offer 95% of what it will give you in daytime/beach lighting circumstances. The only thing you'd really be gaining (during the day) would be it's slightly wider reach.

5. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Just a heads up from my experience on my last trip to Hawaii: I was surprised that I found myself really needing the reach of the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and 40-150mm zoom on the beach and at the pool to get the shots of my family playing in the water.

6. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    That's my thinking as well. But I wouldn't mind have something wider than the 14mm. I do have an Amazon gift card and could snag a used Rokinon 7.5 for less than $200. It is at or near the top of my want to buy list anyways.

7. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Hmmm haven't thought of that. Though my toddler is only 4 so he doesn't go that deep into the water.

I wonder if the coupon code for the $199 E-PM1 underwater housing still works on Olympus's store....

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think adding the fisheye, the underwater housing or the O40-150 would make more sense in extending your kit with an eye toward beach shooting than any of the pancake primes or renting the P12-35. Good luck finding the Rokinon for $200, but it does appear the coupon code for the UW housing is still good. That's a serious deal!

That said, unless you're really going to do some serious diving (or snorkeling), that housing is going to make the camera so bulky to shoot with that I wonder if you wouldn't be happier with a cheap waterproof P&S. That's the direction I went -- with a Panasonic TS-20 that I was able to pick up used for less than $100). It worked great for taking some fun shots of my kids frolicing in the waves and playing in the pool in Mexico last winter.

http://harrisonpix.smugmug.com/Family/January-2013/i-8VztD4s/0/L/P1000658-L.jpg" />

[img]http://harrisonpix.smugmug.com/Family/January-2013/i-PvnGgMH/0/L/P1000671-L.jpg" />

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    #4 Buy the used lens you want, ignore total cost. Sell it when you return from your trip.

I did this with a G1 and a 100-300 a couple of years ago for an Africa trip and my net cost was $30.

10. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    If you're just shooting family, I don't see swapping lens back and forth that often. Unless you want a faster lens for some evening / night / indoor shots, speed probably doesn't matter.

(And FWIW, I accidentally shot some pictures on ISO 3200 with my Panasonic G3, and after Lightroom cleaned up the noise in the raws, they were some perfectly acceptable snapshots.)

Stick to the 14-42, or get the 12-50 from your friend and sell the 14-42. (If it is a friend, maybe ask to borrow it to try out?)

If you really want to rent (or buy and resell) something, consider the 14-140/150 as a "do everything" lens?

11. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    For the beach, I'd want to keep a single weather-sealed lens on at all times. No lens swaps. Something to consider perhaps.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston

13. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I have a little Amazon credit and I can get with Rokinon for right at $200 for a refurb or less used. Honestly it is the only lens I "want" right now, I'm more interested in saving up for a better body than my E-PM1 more so than a new lens.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You could also likely resell the FE after the trip if you wanted to, with little or no loss. FE would be great fun on a beach.

15. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I was planning on not getting anything for the trip but I ran across an all black 14/2.5 which I think looks really sweet and I got a good deal on it so I couldn't resist. I've been wanting a pancake for my E-PM1 and this one should do the trick nicely.