1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Considering options...native vs adapted

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by derick, Jan 5, 2012.

1. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    I'm looking at two possible purchases to go with my EP3, both aimed at getting me a fast portrait lens, for a comparable price range....1) 45mm f1.8 oly native lens or 2) used Pentax 50mm f1.7 and a VF-2. I'm thinking in most portrait situations I can sacrifice AF, & the VF-2 should make manual focus easier, right? I already have a K mount adapter and a couple other old Pentax zooms which would also benefit from the VF-2.

Thoughts? Has anyone gone the latter route, and how has it worked out?
    Thx

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would get the Pentax and VF-2. The 45mm/1.8 is nice, but it's just one lens. The VF-2 is a wonderful accessory which will be very handy all the time. The K-mount adapter will open up an entire collection of lenses to you.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Sound advice. The only thing I might add is get the Oly if your subject moves...otherwise the Pentax M50/1.7 is very nice and a bargain

5314595446_636ea07846_z.
    2011 by john m flores, on Flickr

4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I basically went the latter route, and didn't even bother with a VF-2, although it will definitely help with your other glass. You can always pick up the 45mm down the line if you really need AF, but even with moving subjects you may find you don't ever need it.

5. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    +1 on the VF2. I have more legacy lenses that I can use but the VF2 is a huge benefit when I use them. Although I have an EPL1, I have used my native lenses but I hate AF because sometimes it focuses on things I don't want to focus on. Manual focus FTW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    As a portrait lens, the 45mm is amazing! With autofocus and face detection you can get some stunning photos in fully automatic mode, just point and shoot! That said, the VF-2 is a great benefit with every lens, and is critical for manual focus. It sounds like you have some adapted MF lenses, so i'd get the VF-2 first, then save up and shop for a good deal on the 45mm. Here's a shot taken at xmas with the 45mm... Fully automatic, point and shoot through a sliding glass door.
    i-GpZcjJt-L.

7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    If I were you I will choose Pentax, first because you've had the adapter, second I think it's cheaper? VF-2 is a must if you use manual focus lenses.

'it focuses on things I don't want to focus on' ? Are you talking about auto AF selection points? You can always do it manually, I've never experienced it with my mine.

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Pentax 50 f1.7 and VF2.

9. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks - I think I'll go with the VF-2 / Pentax combo for now. Appreciate the advice.

10. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I think the 45mm Oly's price will fall much faster than the VF-2. I'm loving my Pentax 50mm f1.4 manual lens, you probably made the right choice there. ;)

11. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    There is a bit of a "Pentaxian" slant in the M43 world. Not 100% why, as a lot of the faster, rarer glass is quite expensive when compared with Minolta and Konica.

The Konica 40mm f/1.8 is probably the best single "per dollar" lens available, IMO.

It has some fringing wide-open, but it is very sharp and easily corrected in LR.

Also, I believe all the nifty-fifties are about $20 for the 1.8-1.7 versions, so value wise it's up to you.

Again, just a dissenting opinion on the matter.

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK I am going to be the old curmudgeon here and say go with the oly lens

these are just personal opinions... your shooting style or expected quality may vary

not used a vf2... but hate the way its a plug in accessory... ready to be knocked off.... No problem with EVF's...actually love the one on the GH2... but this tech is moving at a fast rate... i wouldn't buy a vf2 now without trying it

definitely not anti legacy lens...just not sure that pentax m will be better than the Oly.. I have the OLY and it is prompting me to sell some of my nifty 50's....I have a few... :)

K

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry ... you are crazy... VF-2 will be outdated in a year or less and unsellable in 18 months.

Providing micro 4/3 lives for longer than that then the lens will hold its value better

K

14. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have been moving to Oly lenses and away from legacy now that the offerings have been improved.
    I particularly like my 12 and 45 in no particular order.

15. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Care to explain that? I recently bought the 45mm, but keep going back to my adapted OM and Fujinon lenses, since the AF is a bugger to get right. I'm sure there must be a way of setting it up right, but right now it's just annoying.
    So if you got any advice, I'd be happy to hear it :v)

And on-topic:
    I love legacy glass! I bought my E-P2 with the 17/2.8, used it for 2-3 months and started buying old OM glass -sold the 17mm and never looked back -until the 45/1.8 showed up, that is. But as I said, I can't really come to terms with it, so I'm still shooting mostly manual and mostly legacy ;v)

/Jakob

16. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I replied SCT. He said his 45mm always focuses to things that he doesn't want to focus. I said to him to try manual selection AF points ( AF points. Not Autofocus/manual focus). My Ep3 has 35 AF points. I usually choose between them manually. Aiming for the eyes for portrait. I never get miss shot because my 45mm focuses ob wrong area. I hope this help :)

17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Fast Auto Focus is not so fast when you have to manually select from between 35 AF points. :wink:

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's still a lot faster than using MF and missing the shot because somebody got bored and moved.

In any case, it's usually easiest to fix one AF point, and then either recompose or crop later if critical focus is required.

DH

19. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I'm not sure what you're shooting, but if it's kids, pets or it's otherwise organic and moves I'd reccomend the Olympus 45 - super fast AF.

It's also unfailingly sharp wide open - none of my legacy zuikos have proved much good below f4 which rather defeats the point.

20. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    not really.. I usually set the focus point around upper left or upper right. So I've decided where I place the eye/ head in the first place :rolleyes:

It's not like you see the subject, and then you set the AF points. It's possible btw when I use EP3, touch to focus is super very mega handy but I'm not using it a lot for portrait. I use the touch to focus for kids...uh..cats...something moves quite fast :D