Considering major site changes here at Mu-43...

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    As long as the people who involve themselves in your excellent sites stay involved Amin, I have no reservations about any changes to the style/content of those sites. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm behind whatever is best for you and the site.

• Like Like x 4
  4. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Interesting. I'm assuming the existing databases can be ported to the new platform so as not to have to start the forums over from scratch? I would be very, very worried about losing any of the excellent, rich history from your forums :)

Also the classified add-ons... I would hope they are robust enough for your needs, they sound like they're still pretty new.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For sure the databases would be ported in full!

6. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Cool. It's kinda funny, I used to think this was one of the funkier forum implementations around, but it's actually pretty nice. The Thanks system, recent post sidebars, and new post features are all things I love and would hate to lose. Aside from that, and keeping a strong classified system... you formally have my permission to whatever the heck you want with your forums :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    And I got...nuthin'.

Nuthin' at all. No comments, no concerns, no criticisms.

Man - a perfect opportunity to kvetch and grumble...and I got...nuthin'.

No guts, no glory Amin. Go for it if you think it best.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Interesting. Are there other xenForo fora (or is it forii) that we can sample?

9. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mate, its your forum that I enjoy being part of. I have full faith in your intentions and abilities to keep it running well.

Go forth and change!!!!

Regards

• Like Like x 1
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Go for it Amin, its always a struggle to stay on top of these things and we all appreciate your considerable efforts in maintaining these sites.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'm all for it, if you think it will be an improved forum. You've done an outstanding job on this site. And we thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Hey, I like change... bring it on!

• Like Like x 1
  13. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    The new site looks good but their font is not nice to read. I hope our photos won't be compressed when displayed. I love the current site because photos are not destroyed like posting to FB or Google Plus. Those sites use massive compression that purge fine details from photos.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That will never happen here!

• Like Like x 1
  15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    ++1

It sure looks like a lot of work, though. Thank you for your efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    A couple of requests if you don't mind, if the forum is to change. There are 3 common things I don't like from other forums that have gone over to Xenforo:
    - They tend to go for an eye-searingly bright and contrasty look. Can we please have a more subdued skin available from the start (something like the Mu43 grey), as the Xenforo default of white everywhere gives me a headache! (This seems to be a common complaint when forums switch over).
    - There's a tendency to go for a forum layout that ends up with less content per page, both on the threads and the index pages. This is due to excess whitespace, narrow columns for the content, too much space for sidebars etc. It would be nice if that didn't happen here - after all, the actual content is what the site is all about :)
    - It would be good to retain the ability to easily mark individual forums (and all forums) as read. Sometimes with a switch to Xenforo, these options require too many clicks to get to.

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Looks good. The ability to upload from iPad / iPhone would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do whatever works. Looks like a nice pacakge. Just hope it doesn't reset all our join dates, buy/sell history, or post counts

19. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I'm new here but it doesn't seem broke so why fix it...?

Just curious. Must be a big job. Can you point to a photo oriented site as an example of the look you're going for?