1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Considering lens consolidation (snap decision)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by imahawki, Jul 7, 2015.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    So I'll try to keep this short even though that is counter to my nature. I am leaving on a trip today and was thinking about picking up a lens on the way out of town (I know, I know). But what I've been thinking about is potentially getting rid of my 14-42mm kit lens and my 9-18mm and picking up the 12-40 f/2.8 I don't know that the kit lens is worth much but I have the 14-42EZ from a previous family vacation and while its not as quick to zoom, it fits my "slow" normal zoom needs. I do like the 9-18mm but don't use it a ton to be honest.

My local camera store has the 12-40 f/2.8 for the same price as Amazon so I could just pick it up on a whim if that's what I decided to do.

I guess my deciding factors would be versatility. It's not really much different than the 14-42 from a focal length perspective but definitely would be nice to be able to be at 40mm at f/2.8 rather than f/5.6

The rest of my gear is in my signature. I think the only thing not up to date is it doesn't reflect owning the 14-42-EZ

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I get the feeling you just want to spend some cash on a lens,
    my advice would be to use your 9-18mm more

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    It's true I have money burning a hole in my pocket. I sold off some stereo gear and have been contemplating a lens purchase.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The 12-40 is sharper than your other lenses, faster (as you've noted), and focuses really close, so you don't have to worry about a macro lens for a while.

5. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, good point. So the other lenses on my wish list are the 60mm Macro and the 12mm F/2. I know the 12-40 pro is not a true macro lens but it does focus pretty close.

6. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    My recommendation: Fisheye 7.5mm and 12-40mm.
    My fisheye gets the most use out of my primes, to be honest, and "I've heard" that people end up using the 12mm end of the 12-40 rather than the dedicated 12mm f2.0 (some do, some don't). I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 12mm end of the zoom.

7. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Yep, so a sharp 12 f/2.8 vs. a 12 f/2 prime, a close focusing lens (not macro but...) so it sort of takes out two other wish list lenses. IDK, we'll see. I've been mulling this for a while, I just thought if I buy it right after a vacation it seems kind of dumb.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have the 12-40 and the 9-18 and like them both. The 12-40 is a superb lens. When I first used it, I was blown away by its sharpness and contrast (still am). And, it's relatively fast f2.8 constant aperture makes it useful even in low-light situations. Far superior to the 14-42 EZ, IMHO (I don't have that lens, but that's what I've heard). It's considerably bigger and heavier than the 14-42 of any type, but the IQ is worth it. I also have a 12-50 kit zoom that came with my EM5, and I hardly use it anymore. The 12-40 focuses just as close.

I concur with Ulfric's advice too - use your 9-18 more. :)

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I really like the 12-40 (in my case 12-35) + 75 as a travel kit.

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 12/2 is 1 stop faster, but no sharper than the 12-40 (I have both). The AF motor in the 12-40 has some real power and the lens focuses very fast and accurately. While the 9-18 can give an interesting look, the 12-40 covers (for many people) the most commonly used focal lengths.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The 12-40/2.8 is a great lens and I use it a lot. Just took it on vacation this past week. It was great to have for the low light situations. Truth be told, I used the Oly 75-300/4.8-6.7 more, but that has more to do with the subject matter I was shooting (surfing) and less on the quality of the 12-40.

If you need a better, more versatile performer you'll be hard pressed to find a better lens than the m43 wide to medium telephotos like the 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you don't use 9-18 much then you're likely not into UWA shots, so 12mm will do little good for you. On long end you already have 45/1.8.
    So, cons are extra price/size/weight and pro's are somewhat better IQ.

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think it all depends on how much you value small size and weight. The 12-40mm is a great lens to be sure, but it's not small--certainly not miniature like the 9-18mm. Personally, I find that I don't use the 12-40mm as much as would like because I don't want to carry it, and I have other small camera/lens options, but I'm probably in the minority.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You've already got 25mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 and you are thinking of getting rid of your wide angle, seems like 12-40 is an odd choice.

15. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Have you considered a Noctiicron ? Not small but what a lens !!!

16. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    OK, I won't buy anything on such a short decision... too many good points on both sides. I'll take the kit I currently have. A couple comments though, size doesn't really bother me. Coming from a 7D and a 5DII prior to that, I have no problem carrying a bag with the EM10 and ALL the lenses I currently own. What I usually do when I travel is take my Domke with my fill kit and then take a travel bag so I can take part of the gear with me some days, but not all of it.

17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Since I got and tested the 12-40 some time ago, my 12mm f/2 has stayed in the lens bag. I haven't used it once. Same for the 17mm. I have been thinking about selling them. Unless you are interested in nighttime star photography, I wouldn't think you will have much use for the 12mm. It is a little faster but no sharper than the 12-40. Since my use of the 12 was always for landscapes, I never used it at f/2 anyway.

The 12-40 is the best zoom I have ever owned. I recommend it highly. I also agree with the advice above to start using the 9-18 more. Learn what special things you can do with 9mm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015