Considering lens consolidation (snap decision)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by imahawki, Jul 7, 2015.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    So I'll try to keep this short even though that is counter to my nature. I am leaving on a trip today and was thinking about picking up a lens on the way out of town (I know, I know). But what I've been thinking about is potentially getting rid of my 14-42mm kit lens and my 9-18mm and picking up the 12-40 f/2.8 I don't know that the kit lens is worth much but I have the 14-42EZ from a previous family vacation and while its not as quick to zoom, it fits my "slow" normal zoom needs. I do like the 9-18mm but don't use it a ton to be honest.

My local camera store has the 12-40 f/2.8 for the same price as Amazon so I could just pick it up on a whim if that's what I decided to do.

I guess my deciding factors would be versatility. It's not really much different than the 14-42 from a focal length perspective but definitely would be nice to be able to be at 40mm at f/2.8 rather than f/5.6

The rest of my gear is in my signature. I think the only thing not up to date is it doesn't reflect owning the 14-42-EZ

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I get the feeling you just want to spend some cash on a lens,
    my advice would be to use your 9-18mm more

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    It's true I have money burning a hole in my pocket. I sold off some stereo gear and have been contemplating a lens purchase.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The 12-40 is sharper than your other lenses, faster (as you've noted), and focuses really close, so you don't have to worry about a macro lens for a while.

5. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, good point. So the other lenses on my wish list are the 60mm Macro and the 12mm F/2. I know the 12-40 pro is not a true macro lens but it does focus pretty close.

6. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    My recommendation: Fisheye 7.5mm and 12-40mm.
    My fisheye gets the most use out of my primes, to be honest, and "I've heard" that people end up using the 12mm end of the 12-40 rather than the dedicated 12mm f2.0 (some do, some don't). I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 12mm end of the zoom.

7. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    Yep, so a sharp 12 f/2.8 vs. a 12 f/2 prime, a close focusing lens (not macro but...) so it sort of takes out two other wish list lenses. IDK, we'll see. I've been mulling this for a while, I just thought if I buy it right after a vacation it seems kind of dumb.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have the 12-40 and the 9-18 and like them both. The 12-40 is a superb lens. When I first used it, I was blown away by its sharpness and contrast (still am). And, it's relatively fast f2.8 constant aperture makes it useful even in low-light situations. Far superior to the 14-42 EZ, IMHO (I don't have that lens, but that's what I've heard). It's considerably bigger and heavier than the 14-42 of any type, but the IQ is worth it. I also have a 12-50 kit zoom that came with my EM5, and I hardly use it anymore. The 12-40 focuses just as close.

I concur with Ulfric's advice too - use your 9-18 more. :) 

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I really like the 12-40 (in my case 12-35) + 75 as a travel kit.

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 12/2 is 1 stop faster, but no sharper than the 12-40 (I have both). The AF motor in the 12-40 has some real power and the lens focuses very fast and accurately. While the 9-18 can give an interesting look, the 12-40 covers (for many people) the most commonly used focal lengths.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The 12-40/2.8 is a great lens and I use it a lot. Just took it on vacation this past week. It was great to have for the low light situations. Truth be told, I used the Oly 75-300/4.8-6.7 more, but that has more to do with the subject matter I was shooting (surfing) and less on the quality of the 12-40.

If you need a better, more versatile performer you'll be hard pressed to find a better lens than the m43 wide to medium telephotos like the 12-40 or the Panasonic 12-35.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you don't use 9-18 much then you're likely not into UWA shots, so 12mm will do little good for you. On long end you already have 45/1.8.
    So, cons are extra price/size/weight and pro's are somewhat better IQ.

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think it all depends on how much you value small size and weight. The 12-40mm is a great lens to be sure, but it's not small--certainly not miniature like the 9-18mm. Personally, I find that I don't use the 12-40mm as much as would like because I don't want to carry it, and I have other small camera/lens options, but I'm probably in the minority.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

You've already got 25mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 and you are thinking of getting rid of your wide angle, seems like 12-40 is an odd choice.

15. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Have you considered a Noctiicron ? Not small but what a lens !!!

16. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    OK, I won't buy anything on such a short decision... too many good points on both sides. I'll take the kit I currently have. A couple comments though, size doesn't really bother me. Coming from a 7D and a 5DII prior to that, I have no problem carrying a bag with the EM10 and ALL the lenses I currently own. What I usually do when I travel is take my Domke with my fill kit and then take a travel bag so I can take part of the gear with me some days, but not all of it.

17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Since I got and tested the 12-40 some time ago, my 12mm f/2 has stayed in the lens bag. I haven't used it once. Same for the 17mm. I have been thinking about selling them. Unless you are interested in nighttime star photography, I wouldn't think you will have much use for the 12mm. It is a little faster but no sharper than the 12-40. Since my use of the 12 was always for landscapes, I never used it at f/2 anyway.

The 12-40 is the best zoom I have ever owned. I recommend it highly. I also agree with the advice above to start using the 9-18 more. Learn what special things you can do with 9mm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.