Considering jumping back into m4/3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TexChappy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    As some may remember I bought an OM-D EM-5 shortly after it came out. I had terrible luck with it which in retrospect was most likely a defective 12-50. Only about 20-30% of my shots were in focus. I only had 7 days to return it and the store was so much less than helpful I got it back to them on the 7th day.

I bought a Fuji X Pro 1 and I love it. However, it has two drawbacks - too slow AF for action and no native long lenses. I would like to shoot wildlife (birds and some larger beasties when I get to go back to Yellowstone). I also will probably need to shoot sports as my boys get older.

I liked the feel of the OM-D for the short time I had it. I also like the 'specs' I see on the new GH3 (and it does video exceptionally well which is another place the Fuji falls short). I'm leaning towards the GH3 but the OM-D's IBIS is amazing.

So at long last the question: Will the OM-D or GH3 serve my needs in those two areas or would I be better served to return to a DSLR for the sports and wildlife missions?

TIA, Tony

PS - I know many of you get great results in these two areas but how much easier would it be with a DSLR?

2. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    M43 has a few options at 300mm on zomes making them effective 600mm focal length. However, I hear mixed reviews on performance. Otherwise, mirrorless in general is not matured in terms of DSLR like C-AF and there is a definite shortage of long glass. In all honesty, I'd get a Nikon D3100 or a Canon Rebel that not only is a mutured system that would meet your needs it also would be a good deal cheaper in alot of respects. Otherwise, unless your really dissatisfied with the Fuji slow focus, I don't see too many reasons to shell out alot of money for something very comparable to your Fuji (besides the lens options) to M43 already.

3. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    You have very specific subject interests, and they are best suited to a dslr. Maybe you should consider maintaining two systems as I have.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The IBIS system will allow you get shots off handheld that a larger DSLR won't. The shorter zooms like the 40 - 150 are a really nice focal length for walking around with. I have taken some pretty good pics of birds when hiking with that lens. The longer lenses, like the O75-300, while they would benefit from a tripod can be used handheld. Try doing that with a 600 equivalent lens on a DSLR. It is true that long zooms are not the strength of the :43: systems. What is their strength is that they light and easy to carry and I would suggest are more likely to be in your hand when outdoors. Unless you go FF and need reach beyond 600 equivalent I would not discount :43: for a vacation to Yellowstone.

5. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I really wanted to like the OM-D and I imagine if I had had a good copy then I wouldn't have ventured over to the Fuji. The weight is a huge thing. I appreciate the responses. With G3's, G5's, and even GH2's being so relatively cheap, do you think it would be worth a go to try one of these?

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Recalling your experiences with the OM-D, and considering you are now using the XPro1, I would be surprised if you'd be satisfied with the (last-generation) G3 or GH2. That leaves us with the G5, GH3 and OM-D (which all appear to share the same sensor, IIRC).

Which long :43: lens(es) are you considering? For birding I would think the natural choice would be the Panasonic 100-300. If that is the case, since that lens has OIS built in, the IBIS advantage of the OM-D (over the Panny's) fades a bit. Also, since you mention video as something you'd like to use this camera for, that leads me to give the GH3 and advantage over the G5.

I think you should take a look at the GH3 and P100-300 combo.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If you don't have as demanding video requirements, definitely consider saving the what 7-800$(?) with the G5 and 100-300mm combo. The G5 might be a logical choice for a light DSLR style set up for wildlife.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Part of my thinking involves my soon to be ten year old son. He's shown a real interest in photography but not the responsibility for a camera of his own yet. If I get the 'lesser' then I can pass it on to him in a year or two and let him use it supervised.

Other plan is to get a really cheap D50 or Fuji S2 Pro and get some glass first.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    +1

I have all micro four thirds now and sports and action are a struggle for the AF system. I can't track motion and birds in flight will be an extremely hit and miss affair.

Static wildlife on the ground not moving a lot is fine. But I have to agree with Frank that you need something with good phase detect autofocus and mostly that is DSLR's.

I've shot night sports with my E-M5 and got some great shots -- but missed more than I would have with my Nikon kit for sure.

I think a lower end DSLR would be better for you than a higher end mft cam.

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is a very good point. The video features offered by the G5 may very well be sufficient (and certainly will be a huge improvement over the Fuji.

12. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Have had a couple of things just ready to put into my B&H cart but haven't pulled the trigger. I've about got it narrowed down to the G3 (really cheap option) or the G5 (just a little more and wondering if it's worth it). My son really likes video so maybe the GH2?

D'oh, thought I had it narrowed down.

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To me, the G3/G5/GH2 would be "too much" as a starter camera for a 10 (or even 11 or 12) year-old. For someone that age, I would get some sort of "tough", waterproof camera like the Olympus TG-1 or Panasonic TS-3 (actually, I'd probably look for something of that sort that is a year or two old on eBay or Craigslist for $100 or less). This type of camera fits better in a young person's hands and is capable of very decent output. They can also better hold up to the abuse that a young person is going to inevitably subject them to. In addition, a "point-and-shoot" is simpler to operate which allows the "student" to focus on composition without having to worry so much about the technical aspects of photography.

14. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    We have a simple P&S ready for his birthday. I'm looking ahead a couple of years to when I'm done with it.

15. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    With regards to your son -only you know how responsible he is but as to a G3 being a bit "much" for someone that age both my son (12) and daughter (15) love their m4/3 cameras because they are not a "P&S" and can manipulate DOF use the flip out screens etc. but we went for the Olympus EPL-3's as we all have small hands and small though the G3 is - they preferred the Olympus.

With cameras like the G3/EPL-3 they can use it like a point and shoot but they can use some of more advanced features (and dads lenses) as they get more confident. They also act as a backup body to my OMD.

They understand that the cameras are expensive and the replacements (EPL-5) are VERY expensive and I have had no problems with them being careful enough.

16. lollavid

lollavid New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2013
    I recently sold my t3i for a G5 and am loving it!

17. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Went the cheapo route at first to avoid too much wife aggro. Just ordered a G3 with a 45-175 panny lens.

18. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You sure don't let much moss grow on your mousewheel when you decide you want to make a purchase, do you? :wink: I hope the G3 fits the bill for you.

I just picked one up with a stray this-item-is-too-cheap eBay bid the other day -- it should arrive next week. I wasn't really looking for a new body, but I have been looking for a good deal on an EVF (specifically a VF-2) for my gracefully aging E-PL1. I was able to get the G3 for just a bit more than an EVF, so now I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my existing kit.